Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Rattle coming from driver side seat belt possibly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
I'd rather diagnose the rattle myself and fix it myself if I can. I have the Erwin manual and I followed the instructions and took out the speaker trims on the doors and applied felt tape to them and also around the LED light tubes. In the process I also discovered my dealer broke a connector clip during their last attempt to "fix" it, but that's another story.

I agree that taking your car to the dealer to fix a rattle is a bad idea as they are more likely to break something else or introduce another rattle because they are clueless about how to take things apart and put them back together. The only exception is if you've identified the rattle yourself and it involves a part that they can replace, then I'd try to convince them to replace that part under warranty, because I'm not going to pay out of pocket for it.

When Phoenix summer comes all the rattles will come back from hibernation. Not really looking forward to it.
I wish I had the ***** to take the doors apart myself. If I did I would literally do every one with dynamat, but I'm too scared I'll break something..

And I hear you about the summers.. I'm not in Arizona, but even here in Texas the door inserts make snap-crackle-pop noises during the summer. The A6 loaner I drove at one point used aluminum for these same inserts instead of plastic and they didn't make a peep.. How much more would it have cost them to do the same in the S5?
Old 04-03-2019, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I’ve had a rattle coming from sunroof, one from the seat belt, one from the trim.

the day they all appear at the same time cant wait for the fireworks sounds.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Ycore
I wish I had the ***** to take the doors apart myself. If I did I would literally do every one with dynamat, but I'm too scared I'll break something..

And I hear you about the summers.. I'm not in Arizona, but even here in Texas the door inserts make snap-crackle-pop noises during the summer. The A6 loaner I drove at one point used aluminum for these same inserts instead of plastic and they didn't make a peep.. How much more would it have cost them to do the same in the S5?
Ahh yes the popcorn sound. It's a feature that came with the carbon fiber inserts. You get to experience what it's like to live inside a microwave when you start up your S5 with the AC cranked high.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem. I have noticed that the car is very sensitive to temperature changes. Where I stay the temperature can vary by as much as 7'C in the drive from home to the office, and as much as 15'C during the day. Colder temps (below 16'C) keep the car at it's quietest, and warmer temps (19'C and above) cause the circus to break out.

I have noticed that the frameless glass can cause an itching tick over bumps when the car hasn't been washed for more than a week or so. After a wash (and I tried lubricating the rubber seals a few times too) the noise is gone for a few days and then starts up. This noise is at the same position as the seatbelt B pillar.

Moving the seat belt adjuster up and down hasn't helped me much.

Also - the seatbelt tender (aluminium bit on the end of the arm) makes a clinking noise in cold weather on harsh surfaces.

Overall, I have to say that the interior of this car is super disappointing with regard to fit and material selection. My 2015 TT had no such issue, and it was on harder suspension.
Old 07-17-2024, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by IvanLZ
New rattle came in today and sounds to be directly besides me and i think it might be the seat belt. Anyone have this issue? It keeps cracking every time i go through bumps. I will upload a video later with the sounds.
edit: https://vimeo.com/328081343?ref=em-share
I have the same rattling problem as you.
Did you manage to solve the rattle?
Old 07-17-2024, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello,
I have the same rattling problem as you.
Did you manage to solve the rattle?
Old 07-18-2024, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'll be honest, I eventually gave up on the car. Some other things happened during the constant dealer visits that led to Audi taking the car back. I ordered a TTS and have never looked back. Other than two C-Class M-Benzes, I have never been so disappointed and heartbroken by a car's quality problems as I was with the A5.
Old 07-18-2024, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Anyone with a rattle that is driving alone should also check the passenger belt. If the adjustment on it is set so that the metal bit can touch the side of the door panel it will tap against it, and it makes a rattling sound that bounces off the door, the windshield, and the sunroof, and the sound often seems like it's coming from another place than where it actually is. Move the slider so the metal bit can't tap against the frame and suddenly no more rattles.