Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Remote Start Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Remote Start Options

Guys, it's getting cold! I gave up the heated steering wheel because I really wanted the flat bottom for my 2019 S5 Sportback Prestige. I also gave up remote start because...Audi. I had no choice. now that it's 10-20 degrees (F) each morning, I am starting to look into options. Has anyone successfully and happily installed any remote start options? Any suggestions for a 2019 S5? I see Viper has one. 12Volt Solutions has one as well that seems to be truly plug-n-play (no splicing), but it requires a key to be kept in the car. I also saw in one of the forum posts somewhere that this might be coming to Audi Connect via mobile, but I can't even find that post anymore.

I definitely don't want to buy anything else, have my car altered or lost a key fob for this feature, especially if it's coming imminently to the mobile app. But... It's cold!

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

At the time I did it, the 12Volt one was the only option I knew was available (at least a reasonable DIY install). Don't know if any other options exist yet, but I don't regret the purchase one bit.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...eview-2969819/

The following 2 users liked this post by Trade_it_all_4_more:
Tom E (12-22-2019), virtualdru (07-31-2021)
Old 12-22-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
At the time I did it, the 12Volt one was the only option I knew was available (at least a reasonable DIY install). Don't know if any other options exist yet, but I don't regret the purchase one bit.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...eview-2969819/
Wow! Great post. Thanks for the info. Been searching for this and couldn't find it for some reason. Still feeling good about it after several months? Still recommend? My main goal is to start it from inside 10-15 mins before needing to drive so the windows, seats and car in general will be warmed up. Any reason you can think of that the smart phone piece is worth the extra $199?
Thanks again for all of the info! I have it in the cart and am about to buy it... :-)
Old 12-22-2019, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom E
Still feeling good about it after several months? Still recommend? My main goal is to start it from inside 10-15 mins before needing to drive so the windows, seats and car in general will be warmed up. Any reason you can think of that the smart phone piece is worth the extra $199?
Yes - unless someone else has come up with a cheaper / better option, this will do exactly what you are looking for. What I like about the smart phone part is the fact you not only have feedback on the remote start (time remaining, that fact it confirmed it started...), it shows lock / unlock status, and will also show your vehicle location on a map. I know the Audi app does all that (except remote start) - but it's nice as this is the only app I use for the car. You never have to worry about range with the phone app - you can start the car from wherever. With my other vehicles that have the standard keyfob remote start, can't stand they don't give feedback, and with limited range, I've walked out to a cold car that never started so many times.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
Yes - unless someone else has come up with a cheaper / better option, this will do exactly what you are looking for. What I like about the smart phone part is the fact you not only have feedback on the remote start (time remaining, that fact it confirmed it started...), it shows lock / unlock status, and will also show your vehicle location on a map. I know the Audi app does all that (except remote start) - but it's nice as this is the only app I use for the car. You never have to worry about range with the phone app - you can start the car from wherever. With my other vehicles that have the standard keyfob remote start, can't stand they don't give feedback, and with limited range, I've walked out to a cold car that never started so many times.
Very cool. Thanks for the info and recommendation!
Old 12-23-2019, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

in regards to remote start coming to audi connect, my understanding is that it's only for the 2020 A4/5 that will have this feature. I would be very surprised if Audi decided to add this feature to older cars
Old 12-23-2019, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information.

I'm glad other people are feeling the same way that I do about remote start.

I don't understand why 12volt can have a remote start kit but some of the bigger, more known companies do not have it available for the 2018/2019 RS5.

I have sent emails to those bigger companies and they, of course, never replied to me.

Old 01-01-2020, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Do our cars come standard with a valet key??
I can't find mine, and instead, have been trying to locate a used remote on eBay, etc., however, I cannot find the exact match to my RS5 key part number....
It would be easier to use a valet key, but again, I cannot locate.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 373 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Thes6isWicked
Do our cars come standard with a valet key??
I can't find mine, and instead, have been trying to locate a used remote on eBay, etc., however, I cannot find the exact match to my RS5 key part number....
It would be easier to use a valet key, but again, I cannot locate.
I don't believe they do. Neither my S5 or RS5 came with one. They both came with two identical keys.

I understand that if a new key is wanted, it requires it be produced in Germany and shipped over. I also recall the price being in the $400+ range.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start for 2018 RS5

Hi,

I talked to the Lead installer at Best Buy Auto Department on Friday ( 25-years experience ) , he looked up the information directly from the CompuStar dealer only website and he said he could install a remote starter in my car, but I will have to leave 1 key fob in the car.

I scheduled the install with him for 2-14-2020, that was the first opening he had available because of all the remote starters that were sold over Christmas.

I'll post back to the forum after my install.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Remote Start Options