Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TEKNIKA
Hello fellow RS5 owners. I am the one week old owner of a 2018 Audi RS5 with less than 300 miles on the odometer and just had the CEL say hello to me this morning. I immediately brought it back to Audi North Orlando where it was purchased and where it is being diagnosed over the weekend. I was told that I would be hearing back with an update on Monday. Apparently, there are two Audi Master Mechanics at this dealership who will both be troubleshooting the car. I am disappointed that an issue of this severity would expose itself so early in my ownership but perhaps it is better that it has done so now rather than later, if it does reveal itself to be a major issue with this new platform. I will be sure to update with any new details regarding my case when available.
Funny. I'm in South Orlando dealer (near I-4), where my 2018 RS5 is being diagnosed for a CEL. I received the CEL during a road trip from NC to FL. As soon as I got off I-95 and entered I-4, it came on. So far, the error states that too much fuel is being mixed in the engine. I received this update yesterday afternoon. I'm also told that engineers from Germany are involved. I hope this doesn't become serious. I wonder how the C63s coupe would have fared. That was the car I was considering before the RS5.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jberm
Funny. I'm in South Orlando dealer (near I-4), where my 2018 RS5 is being diagnosed for a CEL. I received the CEL during a road trip from NC to FL. As soon as I got off I-95 and entered I-4, it came on. So far, the error states that too much fuel is being mixed in the engine. I received this update yesterday afternoon. I'm also told that engineers from Germany are involved. I hope this doesn't become serious. I wonder how the C63s coupe would have fared. That was the car I was considering before the RS5.
I have both the wastgate stuck open issue and this one. Please keep me updated as Audi is trying to blame me for the issue due to a resonator delete and void my warranty. I am furious and just about done with this car.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 550 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by muffhands

I have both the wastgate stuck open issue and this one. Please keep me updated as Audi is trying to blame me for the issue due to a resonator delete and void my warranty. I am furious and just about done with this car.
Unfortunately, Audi's SOP is to blame the customer when the true culprit is a systemic design or manufacturing problem. If the problem truly proves to be widespread, a class-action lawsuit is generally needed from them to properly address the problem.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by muffhands

I own a 2017 Q7 and have only had one minor issue. I'm missing my ATS-V.... For now, I'm driving an A5 sportback loaner. It's not too bad I think. The 2.0T is performing smoother than I expected.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just to shine some light, I bought my car back in July. I just hit 3,100 miles (thanks to this NC to FL trip). I rarely drive it hard. On my trip I was cruising on Comfort, average of 75 MPH. The car has no mods on it.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2018 RS5 check engine on ; same issues as others have been saying. 12,000 miles

Intake valve issues; took Audi sometime to get software issue resolved. But the cel came on again recently (no issues for a few months since software update fix) now moisture issues locking up an intake valve. Drives fine and great when light comes. It’s just annoying. Thankfully I live 5minutes from dealer.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm a B8 S4 owner and looking to upgrade to B9 RS5. But I'm a bit spooked by all the talk about the turbo wastegate issues, with a number of folks on the threads having pursued manufacturer buybacks for this seemingly unresolvable issue (as of August '19). I'm looking at a used 2018 model (which had the wastegate issue and was a buyback) vs a new 2019.

Can any of you knowledgable RS5 owners comment as to whether this wastegate issue has been resolved? If so, how (e.g. software patch for older models, non-issue for newer models, etc)?

Thanks for your insight!
Old 12-14-2019, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 275 Likes on 201 Posts

How common is this problem? 01 MIL on, DTC P25B400 stored in the ECM, 01 19 27 2052094/3 September 18, 2019: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...65545-0001.pdf

"Customer states:
MIL on.
Workshop findings:
The following DTC can be found in the engine control module (ECM), J623 (address word 0001):
DTC P25B400 (Turbocharger/Supercharger Wastegate “A” Stuck Closed).
Note:
If technical issues are found with the turbocharger when performing GFF, this TSB does not apply.
Technical Background
Software wastegate diagnosis incorrectly sets fault, there are no issues with the vehicle.
Production Solution
Software with improved wastegate diagnostics."

The following users liked this post:
mccarthy (12-15-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a 2019 RS5 Sportback purchased in Apr 2019 and now with about 8k on the odometer and have had zero CEL issues. None. Car is great and I think that from what I've read above its most likely a defect not in design/manufacturing from Audi itself but likely one of the suppliers of parts which may not be up to standards. Remember that these cars are made from common parts/suppliers delivering just in time parts to the assembly lines and if one set of parts/actions are not done in time or to standards issues like these can occur. I don't think however the car or engine is a lemon as some posters are suggesting or as widespread either...the RS5 uses basically the same engine as the Porsche Panamera 4S with a few software and other changes and I have yet to hear about any issues with that vehicle such as CELs due to waste gate problems. Software plus what sounds like an O2 sensor issue can cause the thousands of specific code written to sometimes disagree and thus the fault. Audi is pretty good especially with their RS models and I suspect a fix has been found or will be. As said the number of cars on the road successfully who have not had/reported a problem seen on the news or forums or otherwise suggests this is a limited problem to a very small number of cars. Sucks to have it happen once if not twice is crazy and hearts out to the OP but blanket statements about the car, its reliability, and purchase decisions are probably not based on accurate info but on personal feelings and as was even mentioned ones best guess at this time vs documented fact and case history.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for this link. To my read it seems like the software update from September corrects the problem. Great news.
I appreciate your help!

Quick Reply: RS5 Check Engine Light