Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Hello fellow RS5 owners. I am the one week old owner of a 2018 Audi RS5 with less than 300 miles on the odometer and just had the CEL say hello to me this morning. I immediately brought it back to Audi North Orlando where it was purchased and where it is being diagnosed over the weekend. I was told that I would be hearing back with an update on Monday. Apparently, there are two Audi Master Mechanics at this dealership who will both be troubleshooting the car. I am disappointed that an issue of this severity would expose itself so early in my ownership but perhaps it is better that it has done so now rather than later, if it does reveal itself to be a major issue with this new platform. I will be sure to update with any new details regarding my case when available.

Last edited by TEKNIKA; 09-22-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TEKNIKA
Hello fellow RS5 owners. I am the one week old owner of a 2018 Audi RS5 with less than 300 miles on the odometer and just had the CEL say hello to me this morning. I immediately brought it back to Audi North Orlando where it was purchased and where it is being diagnosed over the weekend. I was told that I would be hearing back with an update on Monday. Apparently, there are two Audi Master mechanics at this dealership who will both be troubleshooting the car. I am disappointed that an issue of this severity would expose itself so early in my ownership but perhaps it is better that it has done so now rather than later, if it does reveal itself to be a major issue with this new platform. I will be sure to update with any new details regarding my case when available.
Damn bro sorry to hear. Welcome to the club:/ it’s most likely same issue we are all having. It’s a “wastegate A stuck open” code. There’s nothing mechanically wrong w the car (Audi claims) but there is currently no fix for this issue. The original poster discovered this issue as far as 5 months ago, and Audi still hasn’t fixed it, which is extremely discouraging. I’m very disappointed with Audi for taking so long to resolve this. They owe us all some kind of compensation.. Let us know what they say but this issue is very common among the new rs5 so I’m almost positive that’s what it’s going to be. Sucks.

Last edited by muffhands; 09-15-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by muffhands

Damn bro sorry to hear. Welcome to the club:/ it’s most likely same issue we are all having. It’s a “wastegate A stuck open” code. There’s nothing mechanically wrong w the car (Audi claims) but there is currently no fix for this issue. The original poster discovered this issue as far as 5 months ago, and Audi still hasn’t fixed it, which is extremely discouraging. I’m very disappointed with Audi for taking so long to resolve this. They owe us all some kind of compensation.. Let us know what they say but this issue is very common among the new rs5 so I’m almost positive that’s what it’s going to be. Sucks.
Thank you for the welcome. I was originally hoping that it would be a simple fix when I arrived at the dealership yesterday. My hopes were a bit dashed when the service manager informed me that the car would need more time for diagnostics, as my wife and I were reading the posts here in Audi World related to CELs on the way to the dealership. The explanation given to me was quite vague in that the code discovered directed the mechanics to investigate further towards the ECU and/or wiring. I was able to have a brief look at their work inside the service bay as I had to retrieve my belongings from the vehicle before leaving. I can confirm that during the testing: the engine cover was removed, along with the left intake assembly box exposing much of the left side engine wiring. The car was hooked up to what the service manager explained to me as a "special diagnostics tool". It was a large, black rectangular unit with dozens of black vertical "switches" similar in size and appearance to USB thumb drives. I believe it allows the mechanics to search for faulty wiring during the diagnostic testing. The service manager was concerned that a code might result from us opening the doors and trunk, but we went ahead and did so anyway as service was closing for the weekend.

I do want to add that I did not feel or notice any loss in performance in the 15-20 minute drive to the dealership with the CEL on. No stuttering, no lag, no loss of boost, no misfires and/or rough idle. I was cautious during most of the drive, 98% of which I stayed in "comfort mode". I did allow for a bit of testing in "dynamic mode" for the remaining 2% of the drive to allow for boost to build and to gauge overall engine performance. In fact, the service manager asked if I noticed any performance loss or anything at all out of the ordinary when I arrived. I am curious about this "wastegate A stuck open" code as from my prior experiences with modifying vehicles for forced induction (2000 Acura Integra GS-R Turbo) and currently owning two others with forced induction (2018 BMW M4CP, 2017 Infiniti Q60S Red Sport 400). From my understanding of traditional wastegates, a wastegate in the "stuck open" position would continually allow boost pressure to be released. Wastegates usually have a spring with a specified (PSI) rating that allows the release of any excess pressure beyond that PSI rating. Thus, if this valve remained open, it would continually release boost pressure, leading to a loss in performance. Anyone with more knowledge than I, please feel free to confirm and/or correct me.

I do hope that some of the details of my particular case can help other RS5 owners in resolving their issues with this new platform. It has been an absolute pleasure owning the new 2018 Audi RS5 for the past week. The car is a marvel in balancing luxury, power, performance, handling and technology. I understand that new platforms will have its share of early-adopter gremlins, but when the vehicle is in service for a disproportionately long time relative to its use and function, then this detracts from its joy, value and ownership. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a smooth outcome.

On a brighter note, here is the video of my 2018 Audi RS5 delivery.

And my current stable. #Unplanned Patriotism

Last edited by TEKNIKA; 09-22-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello fellow RS5 owners. I am the one week old owner of a 2018 Audi RS5 with less than 300 miles on the odometer and just had the CEL say hello to me this morning. I immediately brought it back to Audi North Orlando where it was purchased and where it is being diagnosed over the weekend. I was told that I would be hearing back with an update on Monday. Apparently, there are two Audi Master mechanics at this dealership who will both be troubleshooting the car. I am disappointed that an issue of this severity would expose itself so early in my ownership but perhaps it is better that it has done so now rather than later, if it does reveal itself to be a major issue with this new platform. I will be sure to update with any new details regarding my case when available.
Welcome to the club TEKNIKA.
Please update and advise on what the Audi Master mechanics say the problem is. I'm ordering the RS5 Sportback from Audi North Orlando as soon as Marc gives me the okay to order.
Thanks
Old 09-16-2018, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice Steed/lineup. Thanks for the info, you must have been responding when I was typing.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RichRace
Welcome to the club TEKNIKA.
Please update and advise on what the Audi Master mechanics say the problem is. I'm ordering the RS5 Sportback from Audi North Orlando as soon as Marc gives me the okay to order.
Thanks
Thank you RichRace. I will definitely keep everyone abreast of the situation. My sales experience at ANO has been stellar. However, the product experience with Audi has missed the mark. I initially purchased a 2018 Audi S3 for daily work use but was disappointed by the fit and finish as it had an issue with a lifting dashboard speaker grill that was a known issue with no solution. A $50K luxury car should not have such issues. At which point, I decided to avail of ANO's Buyer's Remorse Policy and upgraded to the 2018 Audi RS5 in the showroom. Initially, I had an issue with the Homelink pairing with my community gate. Fortunately, the clever minds here at Audi World found a temporary fix pertaining to pulling a fuse in the trunk for the Audi Side Assist, which so happens to use the same frequency as my gate opener. Now, the CEL is the second issue all within one week and less than 300 miles of ownership. Thank goodness for Audi World.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because of this, the top view camera issue, and a couple other issues i’ve been seeing on this forum, I think i’ll be waiting on putting in an order or purchasing my RS5 Sportback. Don’t want to deal with this right after shelling out $90,000. Audi’s response time to come up with fixes looks pretty pathetic in the eyes of this soon to be first-time Audi buyer.....
Old 09-16-2018, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

BTW, it looks like Audi World blocked my delivery video. How do I edit the text? Or am I too new here to have such privileges? Haha.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you RichRace. I will definitely keep everyone abreast of the situation. My sales experience at ANO has been stellar. However, the product experience with Audi has missed the mark. I initially purchased a 2018 Audi S3 for daily work use but was disappointed by the fit and finish as it had an issue with a lifting dashboard speaker grill that was a known issue with no solution. A $50K luxury car should not have such issues. At which point, I decided to avail of ANO's Buyer's Remorse Policy and upgraded to the 2018 Audi RS5 in the showroom. Initially, I had an issue with the Homelink pairing with my community gate. Fortunately, the clever minds here at Audi World found a temporary fix pertaining to pulling a fuse in the trunk for the Audi Side Assist, which so happens to use the same frequency as my gate opener. Now, the CEL is the second issue all within one week and less than 300 miles of ownership. Thank goodness for Audi World.
Wow, that sucks on the S3 and now the problem with the RS5. I agree on the experience at ANO, nice dealership and sales people. Hopefully this will get resolved very soon and you will have happy miles and smiles in the future. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

BTW, it looks like Audi World blocked my delivery video. How do I edit the text? Or am I too new here to have such privileges? Haha.
I see the video just fine. I watched it again just now

Quick Reply: RS5 Check Engine Light