Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All joking aside, I have to agree with just being patient and letting them try to fix it. The car is fantastic. I've been trying to regret buying it but I just can't find it in my heart to stop the love. Also, my personal seating position happily places the steering wheel in the line of sight between the CEL and me. It's a keeper for sure!
Old 09-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by heymoe
You're making a pretty broad and generalized statement based on a limited data set there aren't you?
did you shell out 90k for a defective car w no fix? If not you have no say.

Audi literally says “we have no fix for this issue. We are working on it”. This is 6 months after they told Miamirs5 the same thing. Also, Miami rs5 got a replacement vehicle and it had the same issue. What does that say for your “limited data set”.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

It says that 3 of hundreds, if not thousands of cars have this problem.

Even if it was 20 out of 1000 that's still only 2% of owners with the problem
Old 09-18-2018, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
It says that 3 of hundreds, if not thousands of cars have this problem.

Even if it was 20 out of 1000 that's still only 2% of owners with the problem
where did you get this statistic? If this was true, what are the odds of miamirs5 replacement vehical having the same problem? I have no clue where you are pulling these numbers from but I would guess around 1/3 to 1/2 of the new rs5s are having this issue. Based on what the dealership is telling me.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by muffhands
did you shell out 90k for a defective car w no fix? If not you have no say.

Audi literally says “we have no fix for this issue. We are working on it”. This is 6 months after they told Miamirs5 the same thing. Also, Miami rs5 got a replacement vehicle and it had the same issue. What does that say for your “limited data set”.
It is true I don't currently own a RS5 or a $90k+ car but that does not mean my statement is not correct.

where did you get this statistic? If this was true, what are the odds of miamirs5 replacement vehical having the same problem? I have no clue where you are pulling these numbers from but I would guess around 1/3 to 1/2 of the new rs5s are having this issue. Based on what the dealership is telling me.
And you don't have any hard statistics / data (your guesses do not count) to back your broad and generalized statement that everyone should avoid the RS5 due to the issues being discussed.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by heymoe
It is true I don't currently own a RS5 or a $90k+ car but that does not mean my statement is not correct.

And you don't have any hard statistics / data (your guesses do not count) to back your broad and generalized statement that everyone should avoid the RS5 due to the issues being discussed.
ok buddy haha. I have no clue what you are trying to prove. First of all you don’t even own an rs5 so I have no clue why you are commenting. Second of all regardless of the exact number of units that are defective, Audi should’ve fized this problem immediately or replaced the vehical. Miamirs5 has 2 defective units one after the other, and then Audi said “we are hesitant to replace it again due to the fact that the problem will most likely occur again”. I’d say this is a broad issue. You literally have no clue what you are talking about yet you come in here to argue. I won’t be replying to you again.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Lets peg the RS5 at 1000 sold in the US, just for round numbers (I dont think that's far off)

Say another 1000 have sold in the europe.

How many reports do we have? I can count them on one hand for this forum, generalized to 20 for a safe over assumption - still 1-2% of the cars out there.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

If this was true, what are the odds of miamirs5 replacement vehical having the same problem?
I believe the statistical formula would be:

[total problem cars] x [total problem cars]
-------------------------------------------------------
[total cars sold] x [total cars sold]
Old 09-18-2018, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

ok buddy haha. I have no clue what you are trying to prove. First of all you don’t even own an rs5 so I have no clue why you are commenting. Second of all regardless of the exact number of units that are defective, Audi should’ve fized this problem immediately or replaced the vehical. Miamirs5 has 2 defective units one after the other, and then Audi said “we are hesitant to replace it again due to the fact that the problem will most likely occur again”. I’d say this is a broad issue. You literally have no clue what you are talking about yet you come in here to argue. I won’t be replying to you again.
I don't own one yet because they just opened orders for the Sportback version this month. What I'm trying to argue is that you're making claims that you have no data to back other then your guesses and/or a limited data set. You're cherry picking cases that support your opinion and then selling it as fact to scare people away from buying one. I don't have to currently own one to see the flaw in your logic since I see it all the time in other arguments. Hell we could write novels of case of cherry picking data from meme posts on Facebook alone. The expectation that Audi should drop everything they are doing and fix your problem immediately assume the world revolves only around you but in reality that is not how things are done no matter how much money you spent a car. Fixes don't happen over night. There is all sorts of corporate red tape that has to happen before anything is approved and rolled out and there are reasons for this. And sure it doesn't make sense to keep giving someone a new car if this is a software bug that gets triggered in a specific sequence of events, locations, etc.. until they actually have a fix for it especially if there is nothing really wrong except for the CEL getting triggered due to a bug and not an actual issue.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
I believe the statistical formula would be:

[total problem cars] x [total problem cars]
-------------------------------------------------------
[total cars sold] x [total cars sold]
where did you learn math lol. If you were using the entire population of rs5s sold it would be :
(problem cars / total cars sold) x 100 = % defective... no clue why you set it up like that lol. BUT, you can also take a hand full of cars let’s say 20, and use that at your data set to get a % of defective units. Not as accurate but it will give an estimate. Anyways, the fact that he got 2 cars w the same issue in a row, shows that this is an extremely common issue among these cars. That is not just sheer luck. Anyways, non of us know the exact % of vehicals w this issue. But what we do know is that is a common issue and is happening to many vehicals and Audi needs to fix it. Just picked mine up from the shop today had fuel tank and pump replaced. Let’s see how long before it’s back In the shop shall we.

Quick Reply: RS5 Check Engine Light