Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 2018 model year and up

RS5 Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by muffhands
where did you learn math lol.
Seriously?

no clue why you set it up like that lol.
That does not surprise me.

Let's do some simple stuff. Odds of head or tails is 1 in 2. Odds of head or tails twice in a row, is (1 / 2) x (1 / 2) which is 1 in 4. If you need percentage, then yes, you would multiply by 100.

So when you ask "what are the odds of miamirs5 replacement vehical having the same problem", you are asking for the statistic of "what are the odds of someone getting a defective car twice in a row", that's the formula for it. yikes.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Trade it all for more is right with his formula, where the hell did you learn math muffhands? I learned mine at a top 10 engineering school.

Chances of first car being defective = cars with defect / total cars

Chances of second care being defective = see Trade's formula. (very low chances with low problem cars numbers)
Old 09-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I see, you were answering my obviously rhetorical question. You would have to know the probability of getting 1 defective units first.... clearly my statement was just trying to point out that if out of thousands of units, he got 2 in a row, there is a high incidence of defective units. Please if you both are so smart tell me what is the probability of getting two defective cars in a row then? I didn’t ask for the formula if you want to be a smart ***.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Oh I see, you were answering my obviously rhetorical question. You would have to know the probability of getting 1 defective units first.... clearly my statement was just trying to point out that if out of thousands of units, he got 2 in a row, there is a high incidence of defective units. Please if you both are so smart tell me what is the probability of getting two defective cars in a row then? I didn’t ask for the formula if you want to be a smart ***.
Come on man, you went there with the "where did you learn math LOL" bit. Grow up.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
It says that 3 of hundreds, if not thousands of cars have this problem.

Even if it was 20 out of 1000 that's still only 2% of owners with the problem
Anyways now that we are completely off topic, if it’s true that it’s 2% of vehicles as you stated, according to your data and math, that’s a 1 in 2500 chance or .04% chance of getting 2 defective units in a row. There’s is a much higher incidence of defective cars. MUCH higher. I’m guessing close to 1/3-1/2 of vehicles are defective at this point. But that’s just a guess.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Once again you seem to fail to grasp that you have no idea how many cars are affected. It's not all of them, not 1/3rd of them, not even close. If 1/3rd of 1000 cars were affected we would have dozens if not hundreds of people on this board reporting the issue.

We have like 4-6 by my count but feel free to go figure that one out exactly.

No matter how small the chance, it's always possible for something to happen, so one example of a person seeing the issue twice is just that, one example.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Once again you seem to fail to grasp that you have no idea how many cars are affected. It's not all of them, not 1/3rd of them, not even close. If 1/3rd of 1000 cars were affected we would have dozens if not hundreds of people on this board reporting the issue.

We have like 4-6 by my count but feel free to go figure that one out exactly.

No matter how small the chance, it's always possible for something to happen, so one example of a person seeing the issue twice is just that, one example.
Ok but if it was only 2% of vehicles he wouldn’t of gotten 2 defective in a row.... also, keep in mind majority of Audi owners are not on this forum, so just because only a dozen or so are posted in this thread doesn’t mean that includes of all them. I think more are affected, you think less. Let’s go with somewhere in between. The point I was making is the issue is common enough to where Audi should’ve fixed it already. Anyways we are getting nowhere. Let’s keep this thread on topic. Any new info pertaining to a fix should be posted. In the meantime, I’m trying to enjoy my rs5 while it’s not in the shop lol.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would guess that a majority of RS5 owners are at least aware of the forums, and would be here in a jiff if they had a problem that was as big as this one, as seen with MIAMIRS5, he joined to post this.

The majority of A/S car owners are not on the forums you are right.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

I would guess that a majority of RS5 owners are at least aware of the forums, and would be here in a jiff if they had a problem that was as big as this one, as seen with MIAMIRS5, he joined to post this.
It also appears muffhands, TEKNIKA and 18days joined to make posts to this thread. That smells like confirmation bias.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

The majority of A/S car owners are not on the forums you are right.
Boom! Right on the money. As soon as I saw the check engine light, my wife immediately Googled "2018 Audi RS5 Check Engine Light" and we directed our attention to Audi World.

Wow, this thread went hostile and off-topic super quick. I think there is a disconnect between each other's point and perspective.

I believe muffhand's point is, in his perception, there is a prevalent problem with the B9 RS5 and CELs that Audi needs to pay attention and focus on solutions. More so with a $90K luxury sports car.

On the other hand, heymoe's point is, to generalize that everyone should avoid the RS5 is not responsible.

So with that in mind, I do have an update and it is good news. Cautiously, I am announcing that the O2 sensor replacement did in fact resolve the CEL. I personally drove the car approximately 50 miles with no issue. I am keeping my fingers crossed. However, if there are any other issues, I remain confident, as the Audi Master Mechanics at Audi North Orlando are top-notch. I am pleased with the level of expertise and service I received from Audi North Orlando overall. Also, the brand new 2018 Audi Q7 they loaned me is obviously not my RS5 but it certainly eased the burden and inconvenience.

Rather than typing up all of the details, I have attached the service report below.
Attached Thumbnails RS5 Check Engine Light-img_0344.jpg  

Last edited by TEKNIKA; 09-22-2018 at 11:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
georgeg02 (08-09-2019)

Quick Reply: RS5 Check Engine Light