Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,248 Likes on 770 Posts
Default S5 oil change?

Does anyone with an S5 know what the access to the oil filter and drain plug are like? Do any panels need to be removed to
get at the drain plug under the engine? Is the oil filter on top or below the engine?
Old 06-04-2017, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
Does anyone with an S5 know what the access to the oil filter and drain plug are like? Do any panels need to be removed to
get at the drain plug under the engine? Is the oil filter on top or below the engine?
My S5 SB should arrive in July and have been wondering about this as well!
Old 06-04-2017, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the B9 is anything like our, now gone Q5 and my current B8.5 S5. You'll have to lift the car and remove the plastic underbelly with approx. a dozen plastic fasteners. That will expose the oil pan where you'll be able to drain the oil via the drain plug. This, many say is the best way to drain the oil, but it is much more work, dangerous, (because of the lift), messy and potential of hairline cracking the oil pan by over torquing.

The dealership will want to continue to extract the oil via the dip stick tube, and remove the oil filter from the top whereby it is quicker, safer and cleaner.

So my guess would be that the B9 A5/S5 will be very similar.

BTW: Some B8/B8.5 S5 owners have modified the plastic underbelly to cut out a trap door where the drain plug is exposed and dropping the underbelly entirely is not necessary.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by lmariorod
If the B9 is anything like our, now gone Q5 and my current B8.5 S5. You'll have to lift the car and remove the plastic underbelly with approx. a dozen plastic fasteners. That will expose the oil pan where you'll be able to drain the oil via the drain plug. This, many say is the best way to drain the oil, but it is much more work, dangerous, (because of the lift), messy and potential of hairline cracking the oil pan by over torquing.

The dealership will want to continue to extract the oil via the dip stick tube, and remove the oil filter from the top whereby it is quicker, safer and cleaner.

So my guess would be that the B9 A5/S5 will be very similar.

BTW: Some B8/B8.5 S5 owners have modified the plastic underbelly to cut out a trap door where the drain plug is exposed and dropping the underbelly entirely is not necessary.
Thanks for the information!
Old 06-04-2017, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

And the oil filter is on top. If it's anything like my new Q7 the engine shroud needs to be pulled off to expose the top of the filter assembly.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 606 Likes on 436 Posts

There are lots of stories out there of people taking their cars to Jiffy Lube or small independant shops to get their oil changed and they find out later that the shop just hacked a hole in the underbody tray or just tore it out to get at the filter.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doubt they used synthetic either. Don't trust hell holes to service quality vehicles.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts

So is the oil change really different than my old B5 S4 (or any other car for that matter)?
Drive up on ramps, chock rear wheels.
Slide under; remove the belly pan fasteners and belly pan.
Remove drain plug; drain oil.
Replace drain plug (with new washer).
Replace filter (I'm assuming that it has a cartridge rather than a metal canister filter)
Pour in correct no. of qts of Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro formula
Start engine. Look for leaks. Replace belly pan.
Unchock wheels, drive off. Check oil level.
Responsibly recycle old oil.
Total cost $35 with sale price / rebate for oil. Is there something different on the new S5 that I'm missing?

When I was cross-shopping the C43, the Mercedes salesman was shocked (yes, shocked) that I would consider changing my own oil. How could I possibly do it correctly without years of Mercedes training.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

When I was cross-shopping the C43, the Mercedes salesman was shocked (yes, shocked) that I would consider changing my own oil. How could I possibly do it correctly without years of Mercedes training.[/QUOTE]

Indeed he would be shocked, you would be robbing the dealership of $200 or so. On the Macan forum some owners pay close to $400 for an oil change! Must be some special Porsche oil.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 606 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by JLoft
So is the oil change really different than my old B5 S4 (or any other car for that matter)?
Drive up on ramps, chock rear wheels.
Slide under; remove the belly pan fasteners and belly pan.
Remove drain plug; drain oil.
Replace drain plug (with new washer).
Replace filter (I'm assuming that it has a cartridge rather than a metal canister filter)
Pour in correct no. of qts of Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro formula
Start engine. Look for leaks. Replace belly pan.
Unchock wheels, drive off. Check oil level.
Responsibly recycle old oil.
Total cost $35 with sale price / rebate for oil. Is there something different on the new S5 that I'm missing?

When I was cross-shopping the C43, the Mercedes salesman was shocked (yes, shocked) that I would consider changing my own oil. How could I possibly do it correctly without years of Mercedes training.
I don't know about the B6 and B7 but the B8 has an under body tray that requires removal if you wanted to access the oil pan.

I just take it to the dealer and they use whatever they use. It meets Audi's requirements so it's fine.

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 06-04-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: S5 oil change?