Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 Sportback Delivered

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 536 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by awss4
Your S5 looks great. I have a 2015 S3 in Daytona Grey and it also looks great. I am planing to order an S5 Sportback and have some questions. What is your interior trim? It looks like carbon or wood. In USA the base trim is polished aluminum which looks cheap. Carbon is an option. Do you experience any wind noise around the windows when traveling on the no speed limit autobahn? My S3 has none but my TTS does at 100mph. Last how do you rate road noise low – moderate – loud? My S3 and TTS are loud. Is the road noise in your S5 similar to your prior S7? Thanks and your car looks great.
It is carbon, and was a cost-plus option for me too. Brushed (not polished) aluminium is the base S model trim in most markets. I quite like it, but have had it in our last few Audis, so wanted a change. I also think it looks a bit busy with the red leather, monotone with grey, and works best with black. But that's all personal. I'm very happy with the carbon.

Where I live, it is the autoroute - 50km further north, it is the autobahn, but the German ones with no speeds limits (which isn't that many, they have traffic issues like everywhere) are a further half day's drive or so away

Wind noise is extremely low - the mirrors on the B9 have been mounted on the doors and use airflow disruptors on the back specifically to lower wind noise. It is, in overall terms, quieter than my A7 except tyre noise is a little louder at higher speeds (there is a lot of sound deadening material in an A7, and it is a heavy old barge) but this is surface dependant, and the engine/exhaust is overtly louder in the S5 - that is what you notice. But put the S5 in Comfort mode, and of the cars I drove, only the S6 and E43 (when in Normal mode) could get close. All the the others, including my A7 were noisier. Rarely drive it that way though, I want the car to feel responsive, not inert.

Brand of tyres usually play a big role in road noise (as those who change tyres on the new RS3 with staggered wheels will find out). But I don't think this will be much of an issue with the B9. Whilst every B9 I have driven on summer tyres used the Hankook Ventus, I have driven on a few different performance winter tyres. And there was virtually no difference in tyre noise betwen any of them, including the Ventus. By contrast, with both my A7 and our current B8 S5 there is significant difference in road noise between summer and winter tyres. Impressive for the B9.

I guess your issue may be finding the S5 Sportback too refined after an S3 and TTS - you'll probably need the Sport diff/S adaptive suspension/Dynamic steering trilogy to get a sense of agility / car keen to rotate in corners.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default good grief Glisse...

Originally Posted by Glisse

Wind noise is extremely low - the mirrors on the B9 have been mounted on the doors and use airflow disruptors on the back specifically to lower wind noise. It is, in overall terms, quieter than my A7 except tyre noise is a little louder at higher speeds (there is a lot of sound deadening material in an A7, and it is a heavy old barge) but this is surface dependant, and the engine/exhaust is overtly louder in the S5 - that is what you notice. But put the S5 in Comfort mode, and of the cars I drove, only the S6 and E43 (when in Normal mode) could get close. All the the others, including my A7 were noisier. Rarely drive it that way though, I want the car to feel responsive, not inert.

Brand of tyres usually play a big role in road noise (as those who change tyres on the new RS3 with staggered wheels will find out). But I don't think this will be much of an issue with the B9. Whilst every B9 I have driven on summer tyres used the Hankook Ventus, I have driven on a few different performance winter tyres. And there was virtually no difference in tyre noise betwen any of them, including the Ventus. By contrast, with both my A7 and our current B8 S5 there is significant difference in road noise between summer and winter tyres. Impressive for the B9.

I guess your issue may be finding the S5 Sportback too refined after an S3 and TTS - you'll probably need the Sport diff/S adaptive suspension/Dynamic steering trilogy to get a sense of agility / car keen to rotate in corners.

This could be turned around into a critique of everything that is wrong with the current BMW 4 series, and now I can't wait for October! Wind noise from the mirrors is overwhelming, and while some run-flat tires are definitely noisier than others, they are all noisy.

I don't think physics will allow the 3900 pound front heavy car to match the agility of my E92 M3 on Pilot Super Sports, but my gut feel is that with the combination of the differential, adaptive suspension and dynamic steering and all of that torque and traction the S5 SB will be slightly quicker. Whereas my fully optioned out 435i xDrive, while it is brilliant in a straight line (BMW appears to have the ZF better sorted than Audi.), is simply befuddled by curves.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
This could be turned around into a critique of everything that is wrong with the current BMW 4 series, and now I can't wait for October! Wind noise from the mirrors is overwhelming, and while some run-flat tires are definitely noisier than others, they are all noisy.

I don't think physics will allow the 3900 pound front heavy car to match the agility of my E92 M3 on Pilot Super Sports, but my gut feel is that with the combination of the differential, adaptive suspension and dynamic steering and all of that torque and traction the S5 SB will be slightly quicker. Whereas my fully optioned out 435i xDrive, while it is brilliant in a straight line (BMW appears to have the ZF better sorted than Audi.), is simply befuddled by curves.
Yes, I liked many aspects of the 440i xDrive GC, most particularly the feel of the engine. It is so sweet and linear. But it was noticeable how old the body design is in terms of wind noise - it was by far the worst of the cars I drove when considering replacements. Both Audi and Mercedes-AMG are much better at combining AWD and sports suspension than BMW - almost as if they were deliberately nobbling the car. It seems they are addressing this on the G20 - they need to.

Never drove the E92 M3, but as the RS5's 4.2 NA V8 is one of the best engines I have driven, I think I would have liked it - better suited to RWD in that you can control torque with your right foot, something that is disappearing with the latest M engines. High revving NA V8 - something to dream about when its time for pipe and slippers, as those days have gone.

You are right about the ZF8HP, it does feel better in the BMW. The S5 is making much more torque low down, so perhaps they have been a bit conservative on the mapping. They need to improve it.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Color Advice

Tom,

Two reasons for the change were age of the car (I change around 5 years or so), and size of the car. In the typical European town (vs city), the A7 is a huge car which makes parking and navigating narrow streets difficult. My wife hated driving it.

It took me 12 months to find a replacement. Tried to get the last of the B8 RS4 Avants, there were 5 left in my market, but none had a suitable spec. Looked at a lot of vehicles: S6, RS3 Sportback, Macan GTS, AMG C43 and E43, BMW 440 GC. All good, but none I considered preferable to the A7 in overall terms. Had already driven a B9 A4, and knew the new MLB Evo platform was really good - more refinement, better front end, better steering. Drove an S5 coupé and then S4 Avant, and was happy how Audi have set that up, although I preferred the feel of the older supercharged V6 with S tronic than the new turbocharged engine with Tiptronic. But not a huge deal.

I think the A7 is the better looking car, but the S5 Sportback is in the same vein. The S5 is much more agile, and whilst the materials quality is not as high as in the A7 (German manufacturers are pretty careful to maintain the pecking order in their model hierarchy, even between model changes), it is much better than any of the competitors. Steering, suspension, brakes all much better in the S5. Obviously a big jump up in technology, in terms of MMI functions and driver aids. For the size / class of the car, the B9 cars are very refined. But you can't beat wheelbase when it comes to highway comfort - the A7 is more comfortable for long distance highway driving.

With the new C8 A7 moving to the MLB Evo platform, it will have all the attributes of the B9 - trading some agility for more refinement. But yes, it will be relatively expensive, and it will also use touch screens, which I don't like. It won't be as sporty as an S5 though.

My A7 had S/line sport seats (not S Sport seats), so yes it had an adjustable head restraint. My S5 has S sport seats, which have a fixed head restraint. I prefer the S sport seats in the S5 - even though they are much firmer than the A7 sport seats, I find them both more comfortable and keep you better located. You can of course get the S5 with sport seats that have adjustable head restraints, although in the US the only option is ventilated seats in black Milano leather.

My only regret is I wanted an RS4 Avant or RS5 Sportback

Glisse, my dealer in New York is having trouble finding me a 2018 Prestige S5 Sportback in Mythos Black. I'm wondering if I should consider anther color--namely Daytona Grey Pearl. I have driven only black cars and Audis for 10 years, but perhaps it's time for a change. I look for a color that can maximize the car's perceived size, class, sportiness, and sex appeal. What's your take on the Daytona Grey vs Mythos Black? Many thanks. Tom
Old 08-07-2017, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Glisse, so my NY State dealer is hunting for a 2018 S5SB for me in Daytona Grey with black interior, regular sport seats, either Prestige or loaded Premium Plus (no hot/cold and no active steering). It seems, however that most that have come to the US in this color have the magma seats. Never had the red, and don't want to end top looking like a white '67 Mustang! How do you like your magma seat color so far?
Old 08-14-2017, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tcjazz321
Glisse, so my NY State dealer is hunting for a 2018 S5SB for me in Daytona Grey with black interior, regular sport seats, either Prestige or loaded Premium Plus (no hot/cold and no active steering). It seems, however that most that have come to the US in this color have the magma seats. Never had the red, and don't want to end top looking like a white '67 Mustang! How do you like your magma seat color so far?
Apologies tcjazz321, I missed your post. I'm still happy with choosing the Magma Red seats. It is not over powering in the B9 models, they haven't splashed red all over the place. It is supported with red stitching on the armrests, steering wheel, and centre console - but that is quite subtle and looks good IMO.

I was concerned Manhattan Grey with black interior could be a bit homogenous. I could go either red or black with Daytona - my previous A7 was Daytona with black. I also wanted the S5 to be as sporty as possible, in terms of look and feel.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default On its way

Apologies tcjazz321, I missed your post. I'm still happy with choosing the Magma Red seats. It is not over powering in the B9 models, they haven't splashed red all over the place. It is supported with red stitching on the armrests, steering wheel, and centre console - but that is quite subtle and looks good IMO.

I was concerned Manhattan Grey with black interior could be a bit homogenous. I could go either red or black with Daytona - my previous A7 was Daytona with black. I also wanted the S5 to be as sporty as possible, in terms of look and feel.
Thanks Glisse. Im taking delivery soon of a Daytona Grey with Magma Red, breaking my black/black pattern over my last seven cars. Very excited. Just wondering what tires will come with the 19" wheels. i am a fan of the Michelen Pilots, but suspect I will get a summer only tire, which is not ideal when morning temperatures dip below 50 degrees farenheit in upstate NY. Definitely a first-world problem!
Old 09-03-2017, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

The eagle has landed! One day in I'm loving my choice. The visual appeal is very strong in Daytona Grey Pearl/Magma Red, 19" with the 19" wheels and red calipers. I loved my Mythos/Nougat '16 A7 and will always regard it as the sexiest car shape ever, but I have to say that what I have lost in beauty I have gained everywhere else (except one thing--in a moment). The driving experience is amazing: lightning fast (more so than expected), ideal body dynamics, sharp handling, connected steering (I had no reason to worry after all about the Dynamic Steering option it came with). Sport seating actually more comfortable than the A7 (I'm 6'0/190...182cm/86kg) and highly customizable. On the twisty drive home from the dealership, I had an Infiniti Q60 400 tuck behind me, but something must be wrong with my rear-view mirror, since the Q's image gradually got smaller and smaller ;-). Aside from a slight sentimental tug, I really don't miss my A7 at all, and am very happy that I abandoned my original play to save up for the A7 2019 redesign. Oh yes, the one niggling complaint...as with other members, I fail to see the benefit of the B&O sound system upgrade--very underwhelming so far. But overall, I am a satisfied new S5 SB driver!
Old 09-03-2017, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tcjazz321
The eagle has landed! One day in I'm loving my choice. The visual appeal is very strong in Daytona Grey Pearl/Magma Red, 19" with the 19" wheels and red calipers. I loved my Mythos/Nougat '16 A7 and will always regard it as the sexiest car shape ever, but I have to say that what I have lost in beauty I have gained everywhere else (except one thing--in a moment). The driving experience is amazing: lightning fast (more so than expected), ideal body dynamics, sharp handling, connected steering (I had no reason to worry after all about the Dynamic Steering option it came with). Sport seating actually more comfortable than the A7 (I'm 6'0/190...182cm/86kg) and highly customizable. On the twisty drive home from the dealership, I had an Infiniti Q60 400 tuck behind me, but something must be wrong with my rear-view mirror, since the Q's image gradually got smaller and smaller ;-). Aside from a slight sentimental tug, I really don't miss my A7 at all, and am very happy that I abandoned my original play to save up for the A7 2019 redesign. Oh yes, the one niggling complaint...as with other members, I fail to see the benefit of the B&O sound system upgrade--very underwhelming so far. But overall, I am a satisfied new S5 SB driver!
That's awesome. I am glad you found what you were looking for. So what tires did it end up coming with, the Continentals or the Hankooks?
Old 09-03-2017, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

It came with the Continental Contisport Contact. They are fine so far in warm weather. We'll see what happens when the temperature dips, but I will likely just have to put on the snow tire/wheel set up a bit sooner than I normally would. Once the summer Contis wear next year I will replace them with Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ which is an amazing performance tire than can handle cold weather and a light dusting.

Quick Reply: S5 Sportback Delivered