Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 Sportback Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 Sportback Reliability

Hi everyone. I currently have a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost and am looking to upgrade to a used B9 (2018) Audi S5 Sportback for my daily driver.

I am looking for a fairly specific set of options (Daytona Gray, Prestige trim, S sport package, Driver assistance package, fine Nappa leather, Carbon atlas inlays, no cold weather package since it removes the flat bottom steering wheel which I love) and have found a few that meet those specs, but they are higher in miles than I initially was interested in, they are around 50k miles. I know the factory warranty is 4 years/50k miles so I wouldn't have that anymore.

Does anyone here have a B9 S5 or have any experience with the 3.0 engine at 50,000+ miles? Trying to figure out the long term reliability of these and if I'm better off finding one in the 20-30k mileage range instead. I most likely wouldn't be doing any engine mods, probably just a couple minor cosmetic mods, window tint, black rings, maybe a RS style front grille, etc and I am working from home through the end of 2020 at the minimum so I won't be putting a ton of miles on it (For reference I've averaged 1,000 miles per month over the last 4.5 years of ownership of the Mustang including multiple trips from Ohio to NC/SC)
Thanks for the help!
Old 09-15-2020, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 542 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by klinek15
Hi everyone. I currently have a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost and am looking to upgrade to a used B9 (2018) Audi S5 Sportback for my daily driver.

I am looking for a fairly specific set of options (Daytona Gray, Prestige trim, S sport package, Driver assistance package, fine Nappa leather, Carbon atlas inlays, no cold weather package since it removes the flat bottom steering wheel which I love) and have found a few that meet those specs, but they are higher in miles than I initially was interested in, they are around 50k miles. I know the factory warranty is 4 years/50k miles so I wouldn't have that anymore.
I have a 2019 with the exact configuration you are seeking, but I am happy with the car and not looking to sell. My car has been perfect in terms of reliability, save for a times the hatch did not latch correctly when closing and I needed to open it again, but I only have 10k miles in a little over 18 months.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts

You might also check the B9 S4 forum there are more years on that engine, same drive train as the B9 S5: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...iscussion-214/
Old 09-17-2020, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Does anyone here have a B9 S5 or have any experience with the 3.0 engine at 50,000+ miles? Trying to figure out the long term reliability of these and if I'm better off finding one in the 20-30k mileage range instead. I most likely wouldn't be doing any engine mods, probably just a couple minor cosmetic mods, window tint, black rings, maybe a RS style front grille, etc and I am working from home through the end of 2020 at the minimum so I won't be putting a ton of miles on it (For reference I've averaged 1,000 miles per month over the last 4.5 years of ownership of the Mustang including multiple trips from Ohio to NC/SC)
Thanks for the help!
OP Do you want a car from California? You would have to have it shipped. Asking because I saw one at a Lexus dealership that has exactly what you want. Car has 9500 miles. Here are the specs I pulled using the VIN. Not sure the price as it was just in. I can connect you with my friend who is a sales person there. Let me know.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iampraneel
OP Do you want a car from California? You would have to have it shipped. Asking because I saw one at a Lexus dealership that has exactly what you want. Car has 9500 miles. Here are the specs I pulled using the VIN. Not sure the price as it was just in. I can connect you with my friend who is a sales person there. Let me know.

I appreciate the offer, unfortunately the wife HATES the magma red interior so I'm in the market for one with the black leather. Thanks for reaching out though!
Old 09-18-2020, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

I appreciate the offer, unfortunately the wife HATES the magma red interior so I'm in the market for one with the black leather. Thanks for reaching out though!
have you guys seen the Magma in person? It done really well where it’s not overbearing. Also goes really well with that color.
The following users liked this post:
JD15 (09-19-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by iampraneel
have you guys seen the Magma in person? It done really well where it’s not overbearing. Also goes really well with that color.
Yeah it is stunning, especially with carbon trim. 21 months 15000 miles, nothing significant to report (maybe rattles in the hatch area, in cold weather).
The following users liked this post:
iampraneel (09-18-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 542 Likes on 363 Posts

The Magma interior is probably one of the best things about the S5.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

OP, the 3.0 is a solid motor used across platforms for Audi. It's standard on the A7 and can be found in the A6, Q7, SQ5 and others. However, it is relatively new. There are probably some out there with over 100k already though as I can find used S5 and A7 over 60k. Some info on the motor.

Technical Analysis: Audi?s New 3.0L Turbo V6 | YouWheel - Your Car Expert

Old 11-27-2020, 02:43 PM
HA / KC / EЯ

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a very similarly spec'd 2018, and I LOOOOOVE IT. Also, I hate the magma red interiors, to each his own though!

Quick Reply: S5 Sportback Reliability