Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 Sportback Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

one un-scheduled service visit in 3 years and 27000 miles. Check engine light, went in but have to wait a couple days for part to arrive. Otherwise been perfect.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by klinek15
Hi everyone. I currently have a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost and am looking to upgrade to a used B9 (2018) Audi S5 Sportback for my daily driver.

I am looking for a fairly specific set of options (Daytona Gray, Prestige trim, S sport package, Driver assistance package, fine Nappa leather, Carbon atlas inlays, no cold weather package since it removes the flat bottom steering wheel which I love) and have found a few that meet those specs, but they are higher in miles than I initially was interested in, they are around 50k miles. I know the factory warranty is 4 years/50k miles so I wouldn't have that anymore.

Does anyone here have a B9 S5 or have any experience with the 3.0 engine at 50,000+ miles? Trying to figure out the long term reliability of these and if I'm better off finding one in the 20-30k mileage range instead. I most likely wouldn't be doing any engine mods, probably just a couple minor cosmetic mods, window tint, black rings, maybe a RS style front grille, etc and I am working from home through the end of 2020 at the minimum so I won't be putting a ton of miles on it (For reference I've averaged 1,000 miles per month over the last 4.5 years of ownership of the Mustang including multiple trips from Ohio to NC/SC)
Thanks for the help!

I can't speak to reliability yet since i just got my 2018 S5 SB. But like you I started off with a strict color and combo.of must haves. My suggestion is to be open minded and view several colors in person. I ended up with my 3rd choice for color (mythos black metallic), a round heated steering wheel (preferred flat like you) and the ventilated seats rather than the s sport seats with massage. However I got the prestige with all the goodies and lighting and pretty much every other option, and the color has grown on me significantly.

thus My advice: be willing to give on color and options for less miles. I got 30k miles off 1 owner lease and got dealer to add 1 more year of audi CPO warranty that kicks in after the 4yr 50. I had my non starters (red interior, Alcantara) and you should too, but If you are willing to be flexible and travel a bit its worth it.

Last edited by BostonS5sb; 11-27-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonS5sb
I started off with a strict color and combo.of must haves. My suggestion is to be open minded and view several colors in person. I ended up with my 3rd choice for color
It is always so difficult to judge color. Most all colors look so different in different lighting situations. Be it morning light, noon, or late afternoon light. You can't trust looking at colors on your computer or phone as the screens aren't calibrated. I strongly suggest trying to see your favorites in person at different times of day. Preferably with your 2nd or 3rd choice next to each other or nearby.

Have fun, and good luck.
The following users liked this post:
dadrocker (12-03-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by davepjr71
Additional details here on the EA839 S4/S5 B9 3.0T engine here: Audi SSP 655
Old 11-28-2020, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 606 Likes on 436 Posts

OP, the 3.0 is a solid motor used across platforms for Audi. It's standard on the A7 and can be found in the A6, Q7, SQ5 and others. However, it is relatively new. There are probably some out there with over 100k already though as I can find used S5 and A7 over 60k. Some info on the motor.

Technical Analysis: Audi?s New 3.0L Turbo V6 | YouWheel - Your Car Expert
It’s also used by Porsche in the lower version of the Panamera Hybrid and Cayenne Hybrid. I also believe it’s used in the Macan.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
It’s also used by Porsche in the lower version of the Panamera Hybrid and Cayenne Hybrid. I also believe it’s used in the Macan.
Correct on the Macan. I didn't know about the Panarama and Cayenne. I figured they used the 2.9 for all of them. Good to know.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts

Correct on the Macan. I didn't know about the Panarama and Cayenne. I figured they used the 2.9 for all of them. Good to know.
The EA839 2.9T used by Porsche and Audi is also derived from the EA839 3.0T but there are some differences: https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...s-at-audi-8748

"In the NEDC cycle the 2.9 TFSI consumes ....27.0 US mpg....

The new high-performance six-cylinder engine from Audi directly derives from the 3.0 TFSI. Because of the greater forces in the interior, the stroke has been shortened by 3 millimeters (0.1 in) to 86 millimeters (3.4 in). To increase resilience, we further increased the crankshaft main bearing diameter by 2 millimeters (0.08 in). The most important technological components are the same for both engines: the aluminum crankcase with steel cylinder liners, the new TFSI combustion process with central injector location and thermal management with the exhaust manifolds in the cylinder heads."

Old 11-28-2020, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 606 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by m444
The EA839 2.9T used by Porsche and Audi is also derived from the EA839 3.0T but there are some differences: https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...s-at-audi-8748

"In the NEDC cycle the 2.9 TFSI consumes ....27.0 US mpg....

The new high-performance six-cylinder engine from Audi directly derives from the 3.0 TFSI. Because of the greater forces in the interior, the stroke has been shortened by 3 millimeters (0.1 in) to 86 millimeters (3.4 in). To increase resilience, we further increased the crankshaft main bearing diameter by 2 millimeters (0.08 in). The most important technological components are the same for both engines: the aluminum crankcase with steel cylinder liners, the new TFSI combustion process with central injector location and thermal management with the exhaust manifolds in the cylinder heads."
Yeah, my mistake. The hybrid Panamera and Cayenne uses the 2.9L V6. The V6 powered non-hybrid Panamera and Cayenne up to 2020 used the 3.0 V6. Starting in 2021 Porsche is switching them all over to the 2.9L V6. Same HP (330) but I guess it's cheaper to use a single V6 engine and just adjust the tune.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Yeah, my mistake. The hybrid Panamera and Cayenne uses the 2.9L V6. The V6 powered non-hybrid Panamera and Cayenne up to 2020 used the 3.0 V6. Starting in 2021 Porsche is switching them all over to the 2.9L V6. Same HP (330) but I guess it's cheaper to use a single V6 engine and just adjust the tune.

Cayenne base and eHybrid 2019 - 2023 use EA839 3.0T
Cayenne S 2019 - 2023 uses EA839 2.9TT

From MY2024 onward the V6/V8 lineup is changing. There is conflicting data in the industry as to what will actually happen. Porsche official announcement should come this spring.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2018 S5SB Prestige with 17K miles. The warranty on the car has expired. The car is great, but the PreSense false positive problem has really been getting on my nerves. Its impossible to parallel park the car - the system slams on emergency breaks with every incoming car, and I have to disable presense every time i have to parallel park. Dealers and AOA have been useless (Dealer tried adjusting settings on the sensors, but it did not help). I have been trying to see if VCDS can be used to permanently disable pre-sense but so far no luck.
Do people with later models have pre-sense issues? i heard it was notorious for 18's. And then there is the rockers concern (which can lead to complete engine failure). Again, its not clear how common that problem is. I really wanted to (and still want to) keep this car (especially given its 17K mileage, i hardly ever drove it due to work from home in the last few years). I am looking at both the new S5 and also the BMW M440i which seems to be S5's competitor. Does anyone know if those 2 cars have similar annoying problems? Or should i ignore it and just live with my S5? The presence is really annoying...

Quick Reply: S5 Sportback Reliability