Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Side Assist - as an option?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Assist - as an option?

If Audi Side Assist and Pre-Sense Rear was a paid option, would you order it?

So none of the trims for the A5 in the country I'm in include Side assist. Heck none of them even have pre-sense city or basic.

I've custom ordered a car so I could get DAP which I wanted for some 'proactive assist' features but did not order side assist. Going through a bit of regret now (tho futile since the car is already on a ship).

Am I missing out much without it? Read how rear cross traffic assist & pre-sense rear had been useful to some people in situations.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PreSense saved my *** within days of purchasing my S5. Traffic backed up on the highway and I proceeded to exit. The car in front of me decided to dart off at the last second cutting my stopping distance around a blind corner. The PreSense alerted me and I came to a sudden stop.

You dont really appreciate it until until you need it.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by nadddd
If Audi Side Assist and Pre-Sense Rear was a paid option, would you order it?

So none of the trims for the A5 in the country I'm in include Side assist. Heck none of them even have pre-sense city or basic.

I've custom ordered a car so I could get DAP which I wanted for some 'proactive assist' features but did not order side assist. Going through a bit of regret now (tho futile since the car is already on a ship).

Am I missing out much without it? Read how rear cross traffic assist & pre-sense rear had been useful to some people in situations.
I was under the impression that Pre-Sense City (which in non-Audi speak is autonomous emergency braking up to 85kph) is fitted standard to every B9 A5/S5 model made? It was this function that prevented an accident for Amademann.

Side Assist is not a big deal, although the A5 mirrors are a bit on the small side. Pre-Sense Rear ramps up from the previous "preparing for the accident" function to also provide additional functionality in conjunction with other driver assistance components: exit warning and rear cross traffic as you noted (if the other components aren't also fitted, it won't do this). Yes, these are nice to have, but I'm sure you coped fine without them previously.

DAP can mean different things in different markets, so is confusing. The Audi Germany configurator is the best source of all the individual driver assistance components, as it is the least "packaged" market, and it also has the best description of what each component is actually doing. In other markets, it can be a mess in terms of trying to work out what is included as standard, and what is in a Package, or what is simply not available. If not available, it is usually down to a local regulation issue.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree, side assist isn't a big deal but I like the extra set of eyes so I would order it.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 618 Likes on 445 Posts

Absolutely. All those driver assistance options are great.