Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

small holes in intake duct

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default small holes in intake duct

does anyone know what the reason is for all the small holes in the intake duct? it just seems like it would draw in hot air from the engine bay.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Possibly to prevent a vacuum from forming?
Old 03-01-2019, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Possibly to prevent a vacuum from forming?
Hmmm maybe if road debris clogs up the opening?
Old 03-01-2019, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Modern factory air intakes typically have holes somewhere in the intake tract to reduce the chance that the engine will ingest water into the engine should the end of air inlet pipe go under water. Since water in a car engine cannot compress it will cause the cause the engine to fail (bent rods and snapped crank shaft). Think of it as a straw with a crack in it, you can still suck some liquid but you will get a lot of air. I am not saying this is exactly what the holes are, but probably is the reason for the holes. My 2 cents and I am sure someone will correct me if my 2 cents are wrong. 😉
Old 03-02-2019, 03:26 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,404 Posts

Originally Posted by NEW2AUDI2
Modern factory air intakes typically have holes somewhere in the intake tract to reduce the chance that the engine will ingest water into the engine should the end of air inlet pipe go under water. Since water in a car engine cannot compress it will cause the cause the engine to fail (bent rods and snapped crank shaft). Think of it as a straw with a crack in it, you can still suck some liquid but you will get a lot of air. I am not saying this is exactly what the holes are, but probably is the reason for the holes. My 2 cents and I am sure someone will correct me if my 2 cents are wrong. 😉
What mechanics call “hydro-lock.” Last decade saw a lot of that with Acura RSX Owners swapping out the factory air intake for the much shorter aftermarket short air intake and then driving through deep water. Engines were hydro-locked and Dealer Service Managers had to deliver the bad news to customers —“ No Warranty Coverage for that failure.”

— John

Quick Reply: small holes in intake duct