Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

So what's next? (says my wife)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts
Default So what's next? (says my wife)

So after finishing an S5 project the other day, my wife says “What’s next?” I think she’s just trying to get me out the house and into the garage for a continuous string of projects. But I don’t have another project, so therefore I need some help…….

What’s done:

-- RS5 style hex grill with camera. The factory one made me think I should become a traveling salesman.

-- Euro Blackline taillights. Much better with a proper amber sweep. Actually inexpensive if you track down the parts yourself. Look superb on Navarra.

-- Euro rear headrests. The monster US ones had to go.

-- Dipstick. “Trust (the computer), but verify” I believe is the phrase.

-- ECS front strut brace. It’s got to improve something.

-- ECS transmission brace. It did help shifts.

-- Full direct TPMS setup. Read my comments elsewhere about false alerts in really low temps with the factory indirect system.

-- RS paddle shifters. Feel and look much better. I was surprised.

-- Carbon fiber shifter. Not the stick on piece. To match the dash trim.

-- Auto brake hold. It’s cool. Get a button from Europe and some wire and it’s inexpensive.

-- Door edge lights. Audi USA is cheap to now put in just reflectors.

-- Emergency triangle. Even cheaper of Audi USA. It’s 5 euro retail and the car has a built-in holder.

-- Center armrest organizer tray. From China, but nice. Far better than the factory deep hole.

-- ECS rubber grommet to keep dirt from spraying from wheel well into engine bay. I guess Audi now does this.

-- Engine compartment side covers. Due in this week.

-- Rubber floor mats for winter. Plush carpeted rear hatch mat. Hanging mesh net in the hatch to hold stuff.

-- Winter BBS SR wheels with Sottozero 3 snow tires.

-- Whole page of coding changes too long to mention.

-- Oil changes, filters, brake flush up to date by me.

Not to be done:

-- Audio upgrades. I have a tin ear for music subtleties and it would be just a waste.

-- ECU upgrade. More power is always better, right? But it would be just a bragging factor since this is a daily driver for me.

-- The passenger info cluster. Wife asked if I really wanted that info right in front of her. She even used the work “nag.”

-- Front or rear low ground effects. You’d have to see my driveway.

-- Exterior carbon fiber parts. The stainless is fine by me on the outside.

Yeah I realize that none of the additions above are earth shattering, but I’ll keep this car a long time and it makes it better for me. So what have I missed that I can’t live without?

The following 5 users liked this post by JLoft:
DaveSNJ (09-25-2020), mhoran89 (09-24-2020), Mikey T (09-24-2020), Nikon1 (09-24-2020), NJS5 (09-25-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

Front mount intercooler. Not sure where you're located but the OEM FMIC is small and lackluster and susceptible to heat soak very easily.

I also got rubber USB covers to close up the holes and prevent water or dirt from getting in them - one in the front USB port and two in the rear under the rear A/C controls.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

I have euro LEDs for sale, if you want to round out that euro-spec list and take on another project. Had them on my Navarra, then for a bit on the RS ... but probably no more than 5k miles total, and never saw inclement weataher. They're pretty much "as new". Just sayin. ;-)

The following users liked this post:
Antonio@ (09-27-2021)
Old 09-24-2020, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Spacers made a nice visual difference on my factory BO 20s. Also I unplugged the exhaust valves, keeping them open all the time. Sets a code in OBDEleven, but that’s it and it gives a nice growl at all times and all speeds.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 248 Likes on 162 Posts

I have many of the same “accessories” as you do, and not getting some others for the exact same reasons. I do have one for you though: the euro style sun visors, the ones without warning labels. Really makes a difference. I purchased mine from europrice.

Last edited by NJS5; 09-25-2020 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 379 Likes on 262 Posts

Your list reads like a lot of what I want to do.

I'd love more info on how you managed the euro tail lamp swap without resorting to an an expensive kit/support from a US vendor.

If she wants you out of the house, maybe a nice long drive is in order.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 248 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveSNJ
Your list reads like a lot of what I want to do.

I'd love more info on how you managed the euro tail lamp swap without resorting to an an expensive kit/support from a US vendor.

If she wants you out of the house, maybe a nice long drive is in order.
Me too......oh, and where did you get the warning triangle. Everything i see is listed as no longer available or inflated pricing. Thanks.
As always, great minds think alike.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Daaavid
Front mount intercooler. Not sure where you're located but the OEM FMIC is small and lackluster and susceptible to heat soak very easily.

I also got rubber USB covers to close up the holes and prevent water or dirt from getting in them - one in the front USB port and two in the rear under the rear A/C controls.
I’ve put off an intercooler since I have an anti-heat-soak device called Minnesota Winter for five months a year. I’ll think about it though.

USB covers -yes.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rob O
I have euro LEDs for sale, if you want to round out that euro-spec list and take on another project. Had them on my Navarra, then for a bit on the RS ... but probably no more than 5k miles total, and never saw inclement weataher. They're pretty much "as new". Just sayin. ;-)

So one of the first things I did to my Nogago B5 S4 was euro lights, but mostly because of the better light projector (no amber is a bonus). If I upgrade now on the S5 it would have to be to full dynamic lighting. Is that yours?
Old 09-25-2020, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NJS5
Me too......oh, and where did you get the warning triangle. Everything i see is listed as no longer available or inflated pricing. Thanks.
As always, great minds think alike.
A bunch of internet research for a start. ULO makes the Blacklines for Audi. Once you find their catalog and part numbers you can order directly from Europe. Being an EE helps me with deciphering the wiring so that can be converted (just one wire each). You still need a VCP for coding. By the time I sold my factory lights on ebay the net total was under $400.

Warning triangles are required in Europe. You can buy one at a gas station in Germany off the shelf. Or here in the US I just punched in "warning triangle" into ebay and you can get a set of THREE in the proper plastic cases delivered to your house for $15. That just reinforces my gripe that Audi buys them for $1.50, but somehow can't afford to give us one in the US. They're not Volvo I guess.

Quick Reply: So what's next? (says my wife)