Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Sport seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you help woman into cars these days, you are both patronizing them and it is a form of sexual harassment as well.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:09 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,404 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you help woman into cars these days, you are both patronizing them and it is a form of sexual harassment as well.
IF (Big IF) the woman objects then you are correct. However, at my wife’s and my age, it still viewed as Chivalrous.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nikon1

IF (Big IF) the woman objects then you are correct. However, at my wife’s and my age, it still viewed as Chivalrous.

Sure, its fine if its your wife but don't try that with the feminist, man haters or woman in power.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeesh! This was about the fact that my wife has trouble pivoting into the sports seat without a grab loop. Also she is short and the headrest doesn’t adjust. It will be a challenge in 2 years when lease is up.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
My woman told me she likes it when I open the door for her.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Ya know what? Just be courteous to everyone. Help anyone into the car, or hold the door for anyone behind you, etc. That way, it's all good. Just treat everyone how you'd want to be treated. No one ever objected to having a door held for them per se; they objected to how that act was interpreted and projected as a signifier of power relationships based on gender. Strip that away, and make it an act of courtesy, and you're golden. Of course, yes, some people of whatever persuasions will always be wiling to make a federal case out of anything but really, I've found over the years that extending courtesy to all and sundry, regardless of who they are, pretty much works all the time.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Where I work everyone opens the door for everyone.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:53 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,404 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWombat
Ya know what? Just be courteous to everyone. Help anyone into the car, or hold the door for anyone behind you, etc. That way, it's all good. Just treat everyone how you'd want to be treated. No one ever objected to having a door held for them per se; they objected to how that act was interpreted and projected as a signifier of power relationships based on gender. Strip that away, and make it an act of courtesy, and you're golden. Of course, yes, some people of whatever persuasions will always be wiling to make a federal case out of anything but really, I've found over the years that extending courtesy to all and sundry, regardless of who they are, pretty much works all the time.

I totally agree, but there may be some people who cannot accept the gesture of opening a car door as anything other than a “power play.” Many years ago, when I was singles, some of the women I dated, when I opened my car door for them, would comment, “I can open my own door.” Most often that was a first — and last —date for us. As TheWombat said, I was trying to be a gentleman, not a “domineering male.”

To each his own, but respect can be shown without it being a gender-based power play. Just my 2 cents and, as always, YMMV.

— John
Old 02-07-2019, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TheWombat
Do you open car doors for men? If not, you are demeaning woman when you open the car door for them. Woman has equal rights and they want to be treated equal, they are certainly capable of opening the car door themselves. It might make you feel more like a man when you open car doors for woman but some woman do not want to be treated differently from men.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
To each his own, but respect can be shown without it being a gender-based power play. Just my 2 cents and, as always, YMMV.
— John

Plus 1. Gender be damned. Young, old, Male, Female, LGBTQ, and all races I hold the door for anyone close to my 6.
If people can't handle common courtesy we are evolving in the wrong direction.

Last edited by Richr; 02-07-2019 at 06:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Sport seats