Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Tire puncture, but shop "found" this:

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tire puncture, but shop "found" this:

TPMS alert shortly after leaving home. Returned, checked, found 32 PSI and a screw in the tire.
Installed the spare, dumped the tire in the back, and stopped by a nearby Goodyear tire shop.
About 15 minutes after they pulled the car into the bay, the manager rolled the tire out and showed me the chewed up bead on the inside edge!
They swear it was like that when they dismounted the tire. ( checked the floor, and all their trash cans, and could not find any of the missing rubber bits.)
Checked with dealer, showed them the photo, but they say there's no way it would leave the factory that way..

Given the time it took them to come out and show me, either the guy dismounting the tire struggled with it and did the damage, then they took extra time coming up with a story. Manager offered to pay anyway, so I'm going to take them up on it. (Give me the tire, and I'll have my shop mount it.)

I had them patch the puncture and mount it, and it still seals with no leakage. Given how little sealing surface is left, I'm still going to replace it.
One odd thing: On motorcycle tires I've cut up for disposal, there are always tough wires running through the bead. On this one, there's nothing but rubber.
Also, there was no sign of lube on the bead or rim. They claim they only use it for mounting, not dismount.. (I always use it on both when changing MC tires..)

Old 04-20-2018, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm not a tire mechanic, but I've been watching my tires being changed and repair for over 60 years. I've never seen the bead on a tire get damaged like that on a dismount. And I have een dismounted a number of tubed-type tires myself just using large flat-bladed screw drivers. I've also never seen lube used on a dismount as well. My best guess is that tire had a manufacturing defect that wasn't detected prior to being mounted.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,254 Likes on 774 Posts

Consider yourself lucky that was discovered Waggin; that tire could have let loose during some performance driving and caused some serious problems to your life!
Old 04-21-2018, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AUDIQSS
I'm not a tire mechanic, but I've been watching my tires being changed and repair for over 60 years. I've never seen the bead on a tire get damaged like that on a dismount. And I have een dismounted a number of tubed-type tires myself just using large flat-bladed screw drivers. I've also never seen lube used on a dismount as well. My best guess is that tire had a manufacturing defect that wasn't detected prior to being mounted.
Perhaps. but to the tire shop's credit, they ordered a new tire while I was checking with the Audi dealer (Who said "no chance it was built with that.")
And, they replaced it for me.. I watched them this time, and it's a tough tire to mount/dismount, requiring two people at times. The tire machine also had an air ram to press the opposite bead into the drop center, but it still took a lot of help with tire levers as well. Took them a good 5 minutes to get it on. (I'm sure the were being extra careful this time, and they used lube everywhere.)
Word of warning: If you get new tires for the 19" rims, find a shop with a lot of experience with low profile tires, not one that just does 55/60 series all week long..

One note: Even through it was inflated to the same pressure as the others, it still set off the TPMS alert, probably because it's diamater was slightly larger due to a month's less wear? I stored the TPMS values again, and it's been OK since.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

and stopped by a nearby Goodyear tire shop.
There's your problem...

Rule #1 of performance/high end car ownership, dont go to the local shop (unless that shop is a known quality place) and do NOT go to any chain service centers, period.

I submit to every owner here to read this if you have not already: https://jalopnik.com/lazy-idiots-at-...pan-1748394648

If you go to a chain they will **** your **** up and if youre really really "lucky" (like the guy above) they will pay for their own mistake... but probably will just leave you to pay on your own.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
There's your problem...

Rule #1 of performance/high end car ownership, dont go to the local shop (unless that shop is a known quality place) and do NOT go to any chain service centers, period.

I submit to every owner here to read this if you have not already: https://jalopnik.com/lazy-idiots-at-...pan-1748394648

If you go to a chain they will **** your **** up and if youre really really "lucky" (like the guy above) they will pay for their own mistake... but probably will just leave you to pay on your own.
A certain national tire chain has a want ad in the paper looking for "tire technicians." $12/hr.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been on the bad side of a minimum wage tire gorilla. It resulted in me getting a set of new wheels after he chewed up the first set because he didn't know how to use the mounting machine.

I have also been on the good side, where a tire guy knows what he is doing (he even knows how to do a "dual-plane" balance and how to use a Hunter machine). THIS is the guy you want. Be sure to leave him a nice token of your gratitude. He will remember you next time.