Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

valet parking... took her for a spin

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Abtpl
I’m well aware of the challenges. It’s mostly a matter of principle and I want to teach them a lesson. Also look at it this way... someone that you don’t know comes in your living room and uses it at his pleasure, how would you feel? Second there could be legal implications. I don’t know were these guys went, they could’ve gone to rob a bank as far as I’m concerned. They could have gone through red lights recklessly. So, I have reasons to worry about it and I want to take precautions.
By the way at first manager agreed watch the video together, but then, obviously his supervisor made it impossible...

thanks for for sharing your thoughts!
I don't want to sound like an a** so I apologize if that is how I'm coming off. I just think you are putting way too much thought into this. The living room example is different as I did not welcome a stranger into my home that is immediately considered trespassing and could cost the trespasser his life. You did however give a stranger permission to drive your car granted it was to park it but either way permission was granted. If any of those "what if" situations occurred that you listen, you have a perfectly legit albeit of where you were. Would it be extremely inconvenient and costly to prove your innocience? Absolutely, but guess what? Now you have an extremely good case to sue the ***** out of the hotel company. So again I wouldn't put to much though into this.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
I appreciate your feedback. I think your examples are a bit extreme though. Obviously anything can happen but that is not what happened and I don't like to play the what if game. I just feel that some people on these forums have an addictive kind of infatuation with their vehicles that I just don't have. My vehicle is a luxury toy. For instance I do not look at my miles when I get my car valet parked. I think that is a bit extreme but again that's my opinion. Bringing this up to the manager at the hotel or the valet manager would cause them to have a talk with the individual. They are fully aware of the risk and do not want to pay for a new vehicle or even worse medical bills or lawsuits. Now if there were damage of course this would be a whole different conversation. Also reading the laws in that article regarding joyriding would not apply to this situation. He gave them permission to drive the car when he handed them the keys. They also did not deprive the owner of the car. Neither one of those arguments would hold up in court. I get it he is pissed someone drove his car, but dude make a complaint and get on with your life. There are real problems in this world.
Yeah, good perspective.
As another counterpoint to the bolded pieces above, though:

I don't exactly have an infatuation with my bed (it's just a place where I sleep), but if the cleaners who I hire to come mop the floors/change the sheets/dust my place down once in a while decide they're gonna have a drug-fueled orgy in my bedroom, then you can bet I'm gonna make a big deal out of that.

Now true, I give my cleaners permission--even hire them--to enter my house and interact with my belongings. But that permission is to interact with them in a very specific way. If they abuse that permission and decide shoot up some H and throw a rager on my sheets, or crash there for the weekend while I'm gone for a trip, even if they do go ahead and change said sheets after and otherwise finish the work I hired them for on time/as scheduled, I'm still going to raise holy hell over the issue. And I think deep down inside, you know you probably would make a stink of it too.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Yeah, good perspective.
As another counterpoint to the bolded pieces above, though:

I don't exactly have an infatuation with my bed (it's just a place where I sleep), but if the cleaners who I hire to come mop the floors/change the sheets/dust my place down once in a while decide they're gonna have a drug-fueled orgy in my bedroom, then you can bet I'm gonna make a big deal out of that.

Now true, I give my cleaners permission--even hire them--to enter my house and interact with my belongings. But that permission is to interact with them in a very specific way. If they abuse that permission and decide shoot up some H and throw a rager on my sheets, or crash there for the weekend while I'm gone for a trip, even if they do go ahead and change said sheets after and otherwise finish the work I hired them for on time/as scheduled, I'm still going to raise holy hell over the issue. And I think deep down inside, you know you probably would make a stink of it too.
Lol I absolutely would be pissed but I don't think these two things are equivalent. One of many reasons being that my home is not viewed the same way as my car. My home is where I raise my family and an investment. Though this was a better example then the stranger in my home that I did not invite. Is there a possibility that the miles he thought he noted were incorrect? Regardless there was no damage so lets make a complaint and move on. Trying to sue the hotel and calling the news is just going overboard especially with no proof and the hotel security policy will never in a million years let you look at that footage without a court order.

On another note Brian I see you are from Minneapolis. That is my home town. What side of the city do you live in?
Old 08-09-2018, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
Lol I absolutely would be pissed but I don't think these two things are equivalent. One of many reasons being that my home is not viewed the same way as my car. My home is where I raise my family and an investment. Though this was a better example then the stranger in my home that I did not invite. Is there a possibility that the miles he thought he noted were incorrect? Regardless there was no damage so lets make a complaint and move on. Trying to sue the hotel and calling the news is just going overboard especially with no proof and the hotel security policy will never in a million years let you look at that footage without a court order.

On another note Brian I see you are from Minneapolis. That is my home town. What side of the city do you live in?
All fair points, though the one thing I don't doubt is whether this actually happened. It definitely happened. Between the mileage and the mode change and having a few friends that worked as valets once upon a time, I'd bet my hat it did.

Word buddy- I'm downtown in the city proper....if you see a Daytona Grey B9 S4 rolling around be sure to give it that secret Audi honk!
Old 08-09-2018, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
All fair points, though the one thing I don't doubt is whether this actually happened. It definitely happened. Between the mileage and the mode change and having a few friends that worked as valets once upon a time, I'd bet my hat it did.

Word buddy- I'm downtown in the city proper....if you see a Daytona Grey B9 S4 rolling around be sure to give it that secret Audi honk!
I'm not sure I know the secret Audi honk lol. I actually don't leave there anymore. I've been in Houston for about 7 years now. I'll be back in a few weeks. The wife and I are having a baby shower back home to celebrate with friends and family.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Next time, set up valet alert on Audi Connect (see below) and you’ll get instant info about where your car is. It won’t stop anything but will at least alert you.

Not sure you can do much more than report it and see if you get some sort of customer service credit or offer from management.

The Valet Alert service uses the Geofence and Speed Alert services to provide the customer with warnings (via email or text message) in case their vehicles leaves/enters a defined area and/or transgression of set speed limits.
The Valets settings are activated and managed with the Audi connect MMI app.
Benefits:
► Simple setup and managing of valets with the Audi connect MMI app.
► Effective control of a valet parking service.
► Warning via email or text messages.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If I was the hotel management, I would want to be aware that my employees are acting in a manner that puts the hotel at risk.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by duhg
If I was the hotel management, I would want to be aware that my employees are acting in a manner that puts the hotel at risk.
that’s what I thought, but the management pushed right back... after they spoke in a closed (video) room
Old 08-10-2018, 09:01 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

the Audi MMI Connect smart phone app has a VALET ALERT function - why not use that? It also has Geofencing and Speed alerts....
Old 08-10-2018, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Abtpl
that’s what I thought, but the management pushed right back... after they spoke in a closed (video) room
Sure they need to push back against a complaint to cover their butts, but they probably will still come down hard on the perpetrator.

Quick Reply: valet parking... took her for a spin