Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Video: Brand New (15 miles) S5 Sportback with engine issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Video: Brand New (15 miles) S5 Sportback with engine issues?

You can clearly hear the fluttering, it sounds like a old style movie projector on top of the noise of the engine. The noise is more pronounced under load, such as driving up a hill but it continues to be constant when the accelerator is pressed. Notice how the secondary (film projector) sound stops when I let off the accelerator.

This is my 2nd S5 SB ‘18. Yes 2nd. And picked her up today in NH. The temp is beyond frigid. Single digits all day. On the drive from the dealership home I was hearing noise from the engine. Almost like a very faint fluttering sound. Very faint but I could hear it. It only presents itself when I press the accelerator. So I took the car into Audi Service and they too heard it even though it was faint. They attribute it to two things, the newness of the car and the frigid temps outside. On the drive home it was 7 degrees outside for 75 miles and I heard the noise every time I pressed the accelerator.

I never had this issue with my other S5 which was purchased in July and driven in the same environments. Yesterday for instance I drove that car in the the same temps for 150 miles without issue or atypical sounds. Now this car has 11000 miles on it and is the same ‘18 S5 with the same equipment.

So what are your thoughts. I have never had a problem that presented itself on day one and went away on its own. What could this be and is there hope it is an easy fix or will remedy on its own.

BTW this one also has the top camera issue. Just lovely.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

This happens in cold weather, once the car get warm (which never happens in cold) it stops. My guess is that it is the soundaktor not handling the cold, but dont know.

I never thought I could get the noise on video so I never tried. If anyone has a solution I'm all ears.

Btw, definitely not an engine issue, the noise is in the cabin.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
This happens in cold weather, once the car get warm (which never happens in cold) it stops. My guess is that it is the soundaktor not handling the cold, but dont know.

I never thought I could get the noise on video so I never tried. If anyone has a solution I'm all ears.

Btw, definitely not an engine issue, the noise is in the cabin.
Thanks, so you could clearly hear it? Wonder why I never heard it on my other S5, is this one too new? Thanks.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah I could hear it in the video, exact noise I have.... been there ever since temps dropped below freezing here in boston. At first it was only for the first 2-3 mins of the drive, but not in the super cold were currently having it lasts much longer. It 100% correlates with throttle input which Is why I pegged the soundaktor as the cause.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Yeah I could hear it in the video, exact noise I have.... been there ever since temps dropped below freezing here in boston. At first it was only for the first 2-3 mins of the drive, but not in the super cold were currently having it lasts much longer. It 100% correlates with throttle input which Is why I pegged the soundaktor as the cause.
Well thanks for the insight. I am in Boston as well. So what I hear you saying is I really don’t have a problem other than living in New England and coping with near arctic temps? So no engine issue and no real solution other than wait for the ambient temps to warm up?My only known issue is the top camera issue defaulting to graphic vs top view camera. Disappointed that this issue is still ongoing. You made my day. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duffer5
Well thanks for the insight. I am in Boston as well. So what I hear you saying is I really don’t have a problem other than living in New England and coping with near arctic temps? So no engine issue and no real solution other than wait for the ambient temps to warm up?My only known issue is the top camera issue defaulting to graphic vs top view camera. Disappointed that this issue is still ongoing. You made my day. Thanks.
just curios, what happened to your first s5?
Old 12-29-2017, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Was -15 degrees this morning....my TT made this same noise until it warmed up. I checked it up to the soundaktor due to the extremely cold weather. Didn't concern me any.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stan23
Yes this...please share.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by stan23
^^^