Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Virtual Cockpit Navigation: Next turn

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virtual Cockpit Navigation: Next turn

I've noticed that when I have a destination set and am using navigation, while the virtual cockpit shows me the next turn coming up it doesn't include information after that. What is really helpful is when you are coming up on a turn that has multiple turn lanes to know which turn lane to be in. In case after turning you have to turn in to the opposite direction(e.g. upcoming turn is to the left but after that you have to take a right turn). The MMI screen in the center shows the next couple of turns up front which is super helpful. However not the virtual cockpit. So I cannot solely use the virtual cockpit, I end up having to keep both the cockpit and the MMI screen on Navigation. Is there a better way to parse this information? Am I missing something?
Old 09-27-2018, 02:56 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cranialsurge
I've noticed that when I have a destination set and am using navigation, while the virtual cockpit shows me the next turn coming up it doesn't include information after that. What is really helpful is when you are coming up on a turn that has multiple turn lanes to know which turn lane to be in. In case after turning you have to turn in to the opposite direction(e.g. upcoming turn is to the left but after that you have to take a right turn). The MMI screen in the center shows the next couple of turns up front which is super helpful. However not the virtual cockpit. So I cannot solely use the virtual cockpit, I end up having to keep both the cockpit and the MMI screen on Navigation. Is there a better way to parse this information? Am I missing something?
I think you are missing the zoom-in function on the Google Maps layer of the VC display - that should give you a good idea if you should be expecting a multipule immediate-turn scenario which doesn't occur that often (vs regularly spaced turns). Keeps the info on the HUD simpler IMO.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by N8!
I think you are missing the zoom-in function on the Google Maps layer of the VC display - that should give you a good idea if you should be expecting a multipule immediate-turn scenario which doesn't occur that often (vs regularly spaced turns). Keeps the info on the HUD simpler IMO.
Thanks. I'm not sure I fully understand. Just to clarify, on the MMI in addition to the immediate turn coming up, it also shows the next turn after that so I can decide which side of the road to stay on. The virtual cockpit doesn't do that. I'll add pictures the moment I get a chance.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:15 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. I'm not sure I fully understand. Just to clarify, on the MMI in addition to the immediate turn coming up, it also shows the next turn after that so I can decide which side of the road to stay on. The virtual cockpit doesn't do that. I'll add pictures the moment I get a chance.

I get that; however with the map layer zoomed in on the VC (showing your route) you have total situational awareness in the event of the scenario you describe. HUD shows the next turn, the MMI screen shows the next turn, and the VC shows you the space you are operating in.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by N8!
I get that; however with the map layer zoomed in on the VC (showing your route) you have total situational awareness in the event of the scenario you describe. HUD shows the next turn, the MMI screen shows the next turn, and the VC shows you the space you are operating in.
Definitely, with both the MMI and VC operating(I don't have a HUD) I get everything I need. But my point was that if I wanted to use the MMI for something else while navigating(e.g. radio or telephone) the VC by itself doesn't show you the upcoming route characteristics like the MMI does as per my understanding.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:36 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Definitely, with both the MMI and VC operating(I don't have a HUD) I get everything I need. But my point was that if I wanted to use the MMI for something else while navigating(e.g. radio or telephone) the VC by itself doesn't show you the upcoming route characteristics like the MMI does as per my understanding.
You are correct - the VC only shows next turn. IMO, solution is to use the MMI for other things when you don't need future turn infoz (which is probably 95% of the time?).
Old 09-27-2018, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by N8!
You are correct - the VC only shows next turn. IMO, solution is to use the MMI for other things when you don't need future turn infoz (which is probably 95% of the time?).
Yup, it looks like that's pretty much the only option. Thanks!