Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

VPS Resonator Delete finally installed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,254 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Shawn
The resonator delete does not remove the valves. They are still functional. Unlike some other's on here, I like having the option to quiet down the exhaust so I have not disabled my valves. When I want the full effect of the resonator delete, I just drop it in "S"
Exactly, keeping the valves functioning like Audi intended is what makes the VPS resonator delete perfect. Sound like a performance car when you want, and be quiet when desired, it's great combination.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by inphra
You guys have me interested. My biggest fear is drone and not having the flexibility of the valves.

Did you guys use the same kit? Any "side effects" other than the improved sound?
We all used the VPS resonator delete kit. Removes front resonators. Audi even has their own kit that does this for 4X the price, so they know it sounds awesome without the front resonators.

Originally Posted by Noir_2021_RS5
Drone?

does it make that popcorn sound?
I have a touch of drone with the car in the sportiest settings, but I have some feeling that is due to not having a solid roof on the car and things definitely resonate differently in a cabriolet than in a coupe or sportback...
There is no drone with the car in auto or comfort drive select modes.

There is also no reason anyone should not do this. If you hate it that much after doing the modification you can easily go back to stock by reusing the factory resonators and using the clamps supplied with the VPS resonator delete kit. The modification is completely reversible. I also have not had any issues with inspection in MA (and they look harder than most states, especially exhaust) while the car was in an aggressive mode and they passed me with no issues.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 146 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
What do you mean by not having the flexibility of the valves?
I meant in general it was a concern with respect to modifying the exhaust as a whole. I know in this instance, the valves are untouched.

Sounds like you get the best of both worlds with respect to sound flexibility. A decent uptick in sound without it being annoying. My style.

After there any other considerations or potential issues with the resonator delete one should be aware of mechanically?

Last edited by inphra; 09-21-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

I meant in general it was a concern with respect to modifying the exhaust as a whole. I know in this instance, the valves are untouched.

Sounds like you get the best of both worlds with respect to sound flexibility. A decent uptick in sound without it being annoying. My style.

After there any other considerations or potential issues with the resonator delete one should be aware of mechanically?
No. People have been cutting out resonators, mufflers, etc. out of exhausts for years. It is nothing new. Other than sound you don't change anything. Yes you void the warranty on your exhaust, but by the time your exhaust rusts out to the point of needing repair/replacement the car will probably have other major issues.
The following users liked this post:
inphra (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
No. People have been cutting out resonators, mufflers, etc. out of exhausts for years. It is nothing new. Other than sound you don't change anything. Yes you void the warranty on your exhaust, but by the time your exhaust rusts out to the point of needing repair/replacement the car will probably have other major issues.
Thanks for clarifying. Yep always pretty standard, but I wasn't sure with all the crazy tech in these cars if there was any surprises.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for clarifying. Yep always pretty standard, but I wasn't sure with all the crazy tech in these cars if there was any surprises.
There are a couple additional thoughts to consider concerning the Res Delete:

1. Cost of VPS Res Delete $230 or so delivered, and the wait to get the pipes. They do not have them in stock, they build them when they get a number of orders.
2. Cost of installation $80 and 35 minutes of your time.
3. You need to store the resonators at home, but they fit in the box the delete pipes came in.
4. ***The smiles per mile are priceless and 100% worth it.***
The following 2 users liked this post by synergize:
inphra (09-21-2021), Nikon1 (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

There are a couple additional thoughts to consider concerning the Res Delete:

1. Cost of VPS Res Delete $230 or so delivered, and the wait to get the pipes. They do not have them in stock, they build them when they get a number of orders.
2. Cost of installation $80 and 35 minutes of your time.
3. You need to store the resonators at home, but they fit in the box the delete pipes came in.
4. ***The smiles per mile are priceless and 100% worth it.***

Cheers!!

Few questions: is there a particular reason a simple bespoke straight pipe wouldn't work like they do on BMWs and Mercedes?

And where can one order this kit I don't see it listed on the website maybe I missed it?

Shop recommend clamp install in event I wish to revert to factory (which is an unknown for me); I don't there is a major difference but if someone says otherwise that would be good to know

Lastly, shop said it wouldn't take more than 2-3 hours @ $120 CAD / hour to install. Not sure if that's accurate. Figured I'd bounce it off you guys.

Last edited by inphra; 09-21-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Cheers!!

Couple of questions, is there a particular reason simple straight pipe wouldn't work like to do on BMWs and mercedes?

And where can one order this kit I don't see it listed on the website maybe I missed it?
I think with straight pipes it would take some pretty creative fabricating and welding to get the delete pipes to matchup with the stock pipes; and you would not be able to use clamps. Plus, the pipes would not tuck up nicely into the tunnel of the car like Audi intended, could be for aerodynamics is my guess and to protect the exhaust pipes. The VPS pipes are not symmetrical, each side is a little different, plus the driver side pipe has a flat-spot pressed into the pipe so that it fits up perfectly against/near the underside of the car. In the picture below you can see that the Resonators are not even, the passenger side sits about 1.5 inches toward the rear of the car. VPS did a splendid job on these pipes, it's as good as Audi could have done, no doubt. I think the port installed Res Delete Audi piping is $800.

You need to email VPS (Tony), the transaction ($) is done via Quick Books using your email, quite slick!

Last edited by synergize; 09-21-2021 at 04:02 PM.
inphra (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think with straight pipes it would take some pretty creative fabricating and welding to get the delete pipes to matchup with the stock pipes; and you would not be able to use clamps. Plus, the pipes would not tuck up nicely into the tunnel of the car like Audi intended, could be for aerodynamics is my guess and to protect the exhaust pipes. The VPS pipes are not symmetrical, each side is a little different, plus the driver side pipe has a flat-spot pressed into the pipe so that it fits up perfectly against/near the underside of the car. In the picture below you can see that the Resonators are not even, the passenger side sits about 1.5 inches toward the rear of the car. VPS did a splendid job on these pipes, it's as good as Audi could have done, no doubt. I think the port installed Res Delete Audi piping is $800.

You need to email VPS (Tony), the transaction ($) is done via Quick Books using your email, quite slick!

Thank you for the detailed response. That makes a lot more sense! Figures why nobody would just stick a pipe in place of the resonator but it's classic Audi to make things a little bit more complicated than they need to be LOL.

Definitely interested in getting this done, hopefully I can source one from up here in Canada and get a respectable shop to just slap it on heck I might ask a friend whose dad has a bit of a garage and see if he can help me install it. I edited my lost response with a couple more questions not sure if you have any opinions on that. Cheers mate
Old 09-21-2021, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Cheers!!

Few questions: is there a particular reason a simple bespoke straight pipe wouldn't work like they do on BMWs and Mercedes?

Shop recommend clamp install in event I wish to revert to factory (which is an unknown for me); I don't there is a major difference but if someone says otherwise that would be good to know

Lastly, shop said it wouldn't take more than 2-3 hours @ $120 CAD / hour to install. Not sure if that's accurate. Figured I'd bounce it off you guys.
No problem with questions: you definitely want to use clamps in case you switch back if selling the car, etc. Concerning the shop install: the two mechanics that worked on my car had to diddle around to make the install last 35 minutes, they could easily have done the install in 20 minutes or less. Two quick cuts with an air saw, removed the bolts, fit the pipes/clamps, applied heat resistant sealant. and tightened the bolts. Plus, they ground the pipe cuts with a grinder (deburr) as per the install directions. Two to three hours: maybe if they had to fabricate the pipes from scratch and do a custom fit. If they need 3 hours that would be like 30 minutes to saw the 2 pipes and 15 minutes to remove each bolt...it's not possible.

Last edited by synergize; 09-21-2021 at 05:23 PM.
inphra (09-21-2021)

Quick Reply: VPS Resonator Delete finally installed!