Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

VPS Resonator Delete finally installed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 146 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by garberfc
I start my car in Individual mode with sound set to dynamic and it sounds like the four tips are open for about five seconds. If I have my drivers door open I can hear the valve shut.

I pump the mode button up before i even place the shifter in "R" or "D" so that dynamic is momentarily selected, then back to Individual mode. This keeps the valves open for the remainder of the trip.
Mine is set like that as well and I believe in certain situations the valves can remain open, but reselecting the mode 100% re-opens them without needs the speed/throttle threshold being met.

Next time you cold start it, check if the left tail pipes are exhausting and not just the right.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 373 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by inphra
Next time you cold start it, check if the left tail pipes are exhausting and not just the right.
I cold started the car a few minutes ago, and after the first five seconds of runtime, and the closing of one of the valves, 85% of the exhaust is coming from the left (drivers side in the US) exhaust pipe.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've really tried to like these VPS pipes... but the drone from 2-3k makes it hard to have a conversation or hear music in the car. My wife expressed that it sounds like something is wrong, which is not the "sportscar" effect I seek. 2-3k is basically 80% of urban driving so the drone is constantly present. Above 3k it sounds great, as do cold starts. Everyone else here claims zero drone so is there something wrong with my install? The pipes are legit (purchased from ECS) and installed by a very competent shop (034 in Fremont CA) who noted a leakdown test was performed. Did my clamps get lost in the sauce? What's this news about sealant? There was none in my box. Should the shop have added any on their own accord if it's so important?

Last edited by bikedude135; 09-18-2022 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
Exactly, keeping the valves functioning like Audi intended is what makes the VPS resonator delete perfect. Sound like a performance car when you want, and be quiet when desired, it's great combination.
Is it gonna caused car drone after installed VPS?
Old 08-24-2023, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Shawn
The resonator delete does not remove the valves. They are still functional. Unlike some other's on here, I like having the option to quiet down the exhaust so I have not disabled my valves. When I want the full effect of the resonator delete, I just drop it in "S"
is it gonna have drone sound in either valve on or off?
Old 08-25-2023, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by isaacTalk
is it gonna have drone sound in either valve on or off?
when i installed my VPS resonator delete kit on my S5 there was no drone whatsoever. it was one of the best sounding and easiest upgrades and bang for my buck I did to the car during my ownership. just do it!
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bikedude135
I've really tried to like these VPS pipes... but the drone from 2-3k makes it hard to have a conversation or hear music in the car. My wife expressed that it sounds like something is wrong, which is not the "sportscar" effect I seek. 2-3k is basically 80% of urban driving so the drone is constantly present. Above 3k it sounds great, as do cold starts. Everyone else here claims zero drone so is there something wrong with my install? The pipes are legit (purchased from ECS) and installed by a very competent shop (034 in Fremont CA) who noted a leakdown test was performed. Did my clamps get lost in the sauce? What's this news about sealant? There was none in my box. Should the shop have added any on their own accord if it's so important?
Exhaust noise/loudness/drone is a highly subjective thing and not everyone hears the same tone or vibration -- so what's nothing to someone may be drone to another. I would also argue that it can't adequately be captured in a video/audio clip because of the vibratory element. With that said, I would say there is mild drone 2-3k with the VPS delete. Whether it's significant enough for you or if you even hear it - hard to say. Best advice is to try to find someone locally to hear it in person. GL.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (08-25-2023)