Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

What is that motorized noise whenever you open your door?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I finally figured out what that noise is. It's some kind of mechanism inside the HUD projector retracting/expanding when you open the door. I saw this weird reflection today as I was leaving my car, and apparently the HUD closes itself when you leave the car.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
I finally figured out what that noise is. It's some kind of mechanism inside the HUD projector retracting/expanding when you open the door.
I don't have a HUD, so that isn't what my noise is. I believe mine is what Kris Hansen said - the in-tank fuel pump.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
Window hydraulics after the window goes down perhaps?
Seriously? You think the windows are hydraulic?
Old 11-25-2018, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon63

Lmao
Old 11-25-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

It's the tiny elves getting up from their tea and biscuit break ready to man their stations. After all, the car won't drive itself. Someone has to look through the peepholes and give you blind spot line of sight.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon63

Wrong word perhaps, don't really care. But you know what I mean. I'll leave it to the nerds to argue about that.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrong word perhaps, don't really care. But you know what I mean. I'll leave it to the nerds to argue about that.
Actually, I have no idea what you mean which is why I questioned your comment. I also have no idea how you can possibly attribute that sound to anything related to the windows!
Old 11-27-2018, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Celtic Diver
Actually, I have no idea what you mean which is why I questioned your comment. I also have no idea how you can possibly attribute that sound to anything related to the windows!
Simple. The window needs to go down a little so you can open the door. Which means there is a motor that does that as well as for rolling the window up or down. Now what happens when the battery is dead? How do you open the door without damaging the trim? Perhaps there is a secondary mechanism that can work without the need for any power and that's what makes the noise when you open the door.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Simple. The window needs to go down a little so you can open the door. Which means there is a motor that does that as well as for rolling the window up or down. Now what happens when the battery is dead? How do you open the door without damaging the trim? Perhaps there is a secondary mechanism that can work without the need for any power and that's what makes the noise when you open the door.
Hmmm. I never thought of that. Those German engineers find a way to complicate everything!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Now what happens when the battery is dead? How do you open the door without damaging the trim?
Door opens easily without the window going down. It's shutting it that is near impossible without the window down. How do I know? 'Cause when I opened my car this morning at the hotel parking lot, all doors apparently had enough moisture in them from the previous days rain, and all the windows were frozen in place. Of all the 'little things' the car should have - heaters for the stinking windows! (rant over.)

Quick Reply: What is that motorized noise whenever you open your door?