Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

What pressure do you run in 265/30/20 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 01:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan99
Not that long. I rarely spend more than 1/2 hour at this, and much of that time is driving. I've been doing this for a long time, so your initial attempt might take longer, but once you understand it and know what to expect, it goes quickly. Just mark the tires, drive, check scraping, add or remove 1 or 2 psi, repeat until you are happy with the sidewall scraping. Go home, let the car sit over night and check pressures in the morning. Those will be your cold inflation numbers. If you find the right and left tires do not have the same cold pressure, use the pressure on the side of the car where the turns were most aggressive.

Any turns will do as long as you can really push the car through the turn, but I use an expressway cloverleaf that is similar to this, and just mark the outside tires with chalk:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverleaf_interchange

In my case, there is a gas station with an air pump right by the cloverleaf. I pull in there and use that air pump, but any portable compressor will do. Just use the same tire pressure gauge throughout this process.
I am in Europe, but if we live in the same city, I would make an appointment with you😀
I m not sure does my tires have marker on the sidewall that indicates the maximum amount of sidewall.
For some time now I have a wish to take my car to the track with a sports instructor just for fun and to get to know the possibilities of my car, but I don't know if I will ever do it
Old 04-01-2024, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kamabazi
Not sure what happened but I updated it with better screenshot I got from Audi Tech
Thanks for your time, the photo is perfect now. I will visit the dealer
​​
Old 04-01-2024, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
Ignore the US manual - some of the numbers are bizarre, lost in translation maybe. The US situation is unique.

The 2017 A5 did not have a 20" wheel option, that came a couple of years later. That is why there is no 20" pressure option listed on your door jamb decal. Go to a local dealer with a more recent A5, and it should have the pressures listed for 265/30R20 94Y XL. I suspect on an A5, these will be identical to the 2.6 bar front / 2.3 bar rear for normal light load.
Thank you😀. I will definitely go to the deller and ask them to print it out for me.
Does quatro make a difference compared with non quattro?
Old 04-01-2024, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Rcsac
I am in Europe, but if we live in the same city, I would make an appointment with you😀
I m not sure does my tires have marker on the sidewall that indicates the maximum amount of sidewall.
For some time now I have a wish to take my car to the track with a sports instructor just for fun and to get to know the possibilities of my car, but I don't know if I will ever do it
One of my driving instructors pointed out these markers to me; however, I used this method long before I knew of the markers. I'll try to explain how.

The tread that contacts the road surface is horizontal and relatively flat. As the tread wraps onto the sidewall it carries some resemblance of reinforced tread onto the sidewall, typically around .75inch/2cm, then the sidewall takes on a smooth/flat appearance. That smooth/flat portion of the sidewall is not intended for road contact and it's a quick way to compromise a tire if it does. The goal is to make sure the scraping does not extend beyond the actual tread. So, identify the portion of the tread that wraps on the sidewall, then try to limit the scraping to about the mid-point of that tread during aggressive driving in turns. You want it to scrape some, but not let the scraping reach the vulnerable portion of the sidewall.

I really got interested in all of this after attending a High Performance Driving Event (HPDE) sponsored by Audi. I did not want to race my car, but I wanted to learn how to use it as effectively as possible. It was really helpful from an information point of view, and it was a lot of fun. It also was the catalyst for investigating things I could do to improve the car's behavior as I started to drive more aggressively, and better understood how to get through corners effectively. You must have similar events in Europe. I would start with something small, like a half-day event with some instruction and track time included. If half day events aren't available, go to a full day event. Events like this accommodate novices, some may or may not include in-car instructors. Instead of an in-car instructor for novices, some events will use a lead-follow format where everyone follows an instructor in a lead car at a reasonable but aggressive pace. You will be surprised at what your car is capable of.

I found this discussion about track days in Germany, and I'm sure there are more than those listed here. I would investigate and choose something that included instruction, and not just track time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/germany/com...any/?rdt=55648

Also, is there an Audi Club in your area? If so, they would be a good resource. And, I have been to the Audi Driving Experience Center near Ingolstadt. I have no idea of the cost for an individual (I was there with Audi Club North America), but they do offer driving experiences so it might be worth checking that out:

https://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/audi...ce-center.html

Last edited by Dan99; 04-01-2024 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

One of my driving instructors pointed out these markers to me; however, I used this method long before I knew of the markers. I'll try to explain how.

The tread that contacts the road surface is horizontal and relatively flat. As the tread wraps onto the sidewall it carries some resemblance of reinforced tread onto the sidewall, typically around .75inch/2cm, then the sidewall takes on a smooth/flat appearance. That smooth/flat portion of the sidewall is not intended for road contact and it's a quick way to compromise a tire if it does. The goal is to make sure the scraping does not extend beyond the actual tread. So, identify the portion of the tread that wraps on the sidewall, then try to limit the scraping to about the mid-point of that tread during aggressive driving in turns. You want it to scrape some, but not let the scraping reach the vulnerable portion of the sidewall.

I really got interested in all of this after attending a High Performance Driving Event (HPDE) sponsored by Audi. I did not want to race my car, but I wanted to learn how to use it as effectively as possible. It was really helpful from an information point of view, and it was a lot of fun. It also was the catalyst for investigating things I could do to improve the car's behavior as I started to drive more aggressively, and better understood how to get through corners effectively. You must have similar events in Europe. I would start with something small, like a half-day event with some instruction and track time included. If half day events aren't available, go to a full day event. Events like this accommodate novices, some may or may not include in-car instructors. Instead of an in-car instructor for novices, some events will use a lead-follow format where everyone follows an instructor in a lead car at a reasonable but aggressive pace. You will be surprised at what your car is capable of.

I found this discussion about track days in Germany, and I'm sure there are more than those listed here. I would investigate and choose something that included instruction, and not just track time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/germany/com...any/?rdt=55648

Also, is there an Audi Club in your area? If so, they would be a good resource. And, I have been to the Audi Driving Experience Center near Ingolstadt. I have no idea of the cost for an individual (I was there with Audi Club North America), but they do offer driving experiences so it might be worth checking that out:

https://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/audi...ce-center.html
Is this marker on my tire thst you talk about? You will see a small triangle on the photo

Thst Audi Driving Experience Center is absolutely great thing. Bmw have something very similar and I was thinking to try some things with my previous car but not long after I sold the car. Yes I have a couple of tracks near me with the possibility of training with an instructor, one of them is the Nurburgring. The idea of ​​joining a Audi club is interesting, I did a little research after you mentioned it. Thanks for information and directions from where to go. Also previous links that you have sent are very good, your explanations links from the same audiworld and links from another webistes with a lot useful things and informations(speedsecrets, driver61, yourdatadriven longrace. I will study all this as soon as time allows me,little by little. I believe that many things will be much clearer to me then
​​​​
​​​​
Old 04-01-2024, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Is this marker on my tire thst you talk about? You will see a small triangle on the photo

Thst Audi Driving Experience Center is absolutely great thing. Bmw have something very similar and I was thinking to try some things with my previous car but not long after I sold the car. Yes I have a couple of tracks near me with the possibility of training with an instructor, one of them is the Nurburgring. The idea of ​​joining a Audi club is interesting, I did a little research after you mentioned it. Thanks for information and directions from where to go. Also previous links that you have sent are very good, your explanations links from the same audiworld and links from another webistes with a lot useful things and informations(speedsecrets, driver61, yourdatadriven longrace. I will study all this as soon as time allows me,little by little. I believe that many things will be much clearer to me then
​​​​
​​​​
Yes, I would use that triangle marker. Glad I could help!
The following users liked this post:
Rcsac (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running 265/35/R20 on my S5, and this site converts the recommended 41 psi for 265/30/R20 to 35 psi: https://tiresize.com/pressure-calculator/

Does anyone think that sounds a little low or is it just me?

Old 04-01-2024, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I would use that triangle marker. Glad I could help!
👌
Old 04-01-2024, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by timmah339
I'm running 265/35/R20 on my S5, and this site converts the recommended 41 psi for 265/30/R20 to 35 psi: https://tiresize.com/pressure-calculator/

Does anyone think that sounds a little low or is it just me?

I also interested Is this reliable
​​​​​​
Old 04-02-2024, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I also interested Is this reliable
​​​​​​
Try it and run the tests I described above to dial it in. Don't be afraid to experiment. The cars and tires have a range of settings that work. You just have to find the ones that work best for your car, wheel size, tire type and size, and how you drive.

For example, I currently have a B9 RS5 Sportback. The door jam says to use 41/41; the manual says to use 38/32 for a partial load. The oem Continental SportContact6 tires needed 39/32 for the best handling. However, when I switched to Michelin PS4S tires they needed 41/35 to perform best. My manual says to use 41/36 if I have the Dynamic Plus package (CC brakes and 174mph top speed), which I don't have. Still, I tried those pressures and found that 41/36 provided more movement in the rear than I like so I went back to 41/35.

So, both tires and cars can deal with a range of air pressures. Just find the combination that works best for your specific car, tires & wheels, and how you drive. No chart on the Internet will be as precise as running the tests on your car, with how you drive. Just don't exceed the maximum pressure rating for your specific tires.

Last edited by Dan99; 04-09-2024 at 05:40 AM.

Quick Reply: What pressure do you run in 265/30/20 tires?