Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Why would I use car play?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Why would I use car play?

Just wondering why some of you use CarPlay/android auto vs the in car Navi/media system. What do you like about it?
Old 02-28-2019, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajax1900
Just wondering why some of you use CarPlay/android auto vs the in car Navi/media system. What do you like about it?
Waze. Never bothered with carplay really until waze started working on it.

Also, I'm left handed and trying to write in an address on that dial is torture. would be nice if there was a scrolling alphabet where I could just spin the wheel...and using voice for my addresses ends up working 50% of the time.

BUT, I really love the maps in the virtual cockpit, so it's a toss up for me, depending on my mood and anger level I think, lol

Old 02-28-2019, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

I swear by Google Maps. I'm sure it depends on your city/area but for me Google Maps always reports the ETA dead on, and the traffic info is accurate. When roads are blocked or under construction it will know about it. I often look up destinations on my phone and it's all synced. There's no way I would settle for maps that get updated on a yearly basis now, and where route times aren't as accurate. Google has just got so good at doing this. I would love to be able to put the Google Maps from CarPlay in the virtual cockpit but that won't happen.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use carplay for navigation via both google maps and apple maps ( and listening to podcasts) because it's easier to get a destination entered. I agree that trying to enter an address on the dial is terrible, even for a right-handed person!. Is there a better method for inputting an address? I've tried the following with varied success:
  1. writing a letter at a time slowly on the dial - sloow
  2. voice command "take me to 123 road" - always gets it wrong on street names that aren't phonetically spelled and you can't move the cursor to just adjust one letter, you have to backspace all the way to the error
I've thought about trying to set up a contact with an address and using the audi nav that way, but having to set that up in advance and likely waiting for syncing has kept me from trying it spur-of-the-moment. Anyone have other suggestions for easily entering a destination?
Old 02-28-2019, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My primary reasons for using it:
  • Better audio sound quality than USB and especially Bluetooth.
  • Google Maps and Waze support - including traffic.
Annoyances:
  • Can't use steering wheel controls to make/control phone calls - I believe this is not a problem with Android Auto.
  • Compass usually shows instead of the VC maps (I keep the VC on showing the Playback view when using carplay because of this)

With AudiConnect not supporting Google Earth come 2020 (and not being worth the price in my opinion), Carplay gets you some of the primary AudiConnect features (Google Maps, Traffic) at least on the primary MMI screen. It's not perfect and it seems like there are issues/drawbacks to each combination of media playback, phone connectivity, and navigation options.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 195 Likes on 113 Posts

I like to have Waze up and running on the main screen just to alert me to hazards and speed traps. I almost never use it for navigation, I prefer the native MMI interface for turn by turn directions.

On the audio side I use it for Spotify, Pandora, Sticher (podcasts) and occasional Amazon Music. But I also have an SD card full of music in the MMI that I also use, it all depends on what I'm in the mood to listen to.

I rarely make phone calls from the car, but one nice feature of AA is that it will read out text messages and allow me to do voice replies.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I use CarPlay for Waze, Google maps, Pandora, and full functional control via sorting, searching, playlists, etc. of the 6,000 songs and 100’s of Pod casts on my iPhone. Also, the audio text messaging is excellent.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Carplay = Music sounds better, Google Maps traffic and routes are good, Siri voice command is really good for when i want specific songs.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankS5
Waze. Never bothered with carplay really until waze started working on it.

Also, I'm left handed and trying to write in an address on that dial is torture. would be nice if there was a scrolling alphabet where I could just spin the wheel...and using voice for my addresses ends up working 50% of the time.

BUT, I really love the maps in the virtual cockpit, so it's a toss up for me, depending on my mood and anger level I think, lol
Just click down on the wheel and a scrolling alphabet will open.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For me ease to use, better presentation, Waze, good sound, Siri, and more, but.....

I'm wondering why you prefer the Navi/media system?