Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield replacement

Got a nasty chip on the highway, took to safelight to fill and it started cracking.....so looks like I need a replacement windshield.

From talking to the service dept, they gave initial quote of 1600 after labor, calibration, material. Does this seem realistic or are there cheaper alternatives?

I have a 2 week old A5 sportback, premium plus.

TIA
Old 07-17-2017, 12:54 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Xltros
Got a nasty chip on the highway, took to safelight to fill and it started cracking.....so looks like I need a replacement windshield.

From talking to the service dept, they gave initial quote of 1600 after labor, calibration, material. Does this seem realistic or are there cheaper alternatives?

I have a 2 week old A5 sportback, premium plus.

TIA
Probably going to be about that until there are more non-audi glass suppliers. I went thru this with my FJ back when they were brand new on the market.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Does your auto insurance have windshield replacement coverage?
Old 07-17-2017, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jamis
Does your auto insurance have windshield replacement coverage?
That's what I was thinking. With all the cameras and sensors in the front windshield, not to mention HUD if you have a prestige package, I wouldn't want an aftermarket glass put in anyways.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yea, that's pretty much the route I'm looking into. Sounds like it's my only / best option.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

That's really not outrageous considering the newness of the car...
Old 07-17-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would assume if you had windshield replacement coverage through your insurance that they would replace it with a OEM glass due to all of the sensors & cameras.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Didn't have the windshield specific coverage, do have the comprehensive coverage through aaa, with a 1k deductible
Old 07-17-2017, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This just happened to me on my S5 SB and it made me question the quality of the glass on this car. But anyway I had to also replace the whole thing. Quoted about $1k for the windshield and $200 labor at a local auto glass shop (I avoided safelite, they wouldn’t answer the phone so I moved on) and have them install it. They knew how to order the OEM part from Audi, and it took 5 days to arrive so I think they still have to import them since the car is so new. Recalibration on the driver assistance stuff is in progress at the dealership right now, and I think they said that will be $300-$400. So this is $1700 worth of damage. I opened a claim on insurance and will just have to pay my deductible.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tdm301
This just happened to me on my S5 SB and it made me question the quality of the glass on this car. But anyway I had to also replace the whole thing. Quoted about $1k for the windshield and $200 labor at a local auto glass shop (I avoided safelite, they wouldn’t answer the phone so I moved on) and have them install it. They knew how to order the OEM part from Audi, and it took 5 days to arrive so I think they still have to import them since the car is so new. Recalibration on the driver assistance stuff is in progress at the dealership right now, and I think they said that will be $300-$400. So this is $1700 worth of damage. I opened a claim on insurance and will just have to pay my deductible.
The F-Types are like a magnet for damaged windshields ,I know guys who are on their 3-4th ones!

Quick Reply: windshield replacement