Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Wireless Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 737 Likes on 514 Posts

The instructions that @JohnnySa posted are for the Carplay interface box, which is for car that didn't come with any Carplay. So actually isn't valid for our cars that came with the wired Carplay. All we need is the Wireless to Wired Carplay bridge device that plugs into a Carplay enabled USB port in the car. Simple
Old 08-12-2020, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

So I think the new august update has solved most of the issues. However I do think the wireless charger itself is causing my phone to overheat and stall up.

I noticed on longer rides, the CarPlay connection was acting up and then i check out my phone and it’s very hot and everything lags. Anyone else have this issue? I also have iOS 14 beta which may be amplifying this issue
Old 08-14-2020, 08:35 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 363 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by bobdolex
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i believe this one with usb c is the most up to date one. However (and most people on this thread) seem to have the older version without usbc
The Amazon CarLinkit listings are rather interesting/confusing. I bought this one, advertised as a 2.0 version, in June:
Amazon Amazon

The one you link also says it is a CarLinKit 2.0, however, this one has a removable USB-C cable, while the one I bought a month ago has a non-removable cable.

Makes me think the version number is meaningless...

Originally Posted by bobdolex
So I think the new august update has solved most of the issues. However I do think the wireless charger itself is causing my phone to overheat and stall up.

I noticed on longer rides, the CarPlay connection was acting up and then i check out my phone and it’s very hot and everything lags. Anyone else have this issue? I also have iOS 14 beta which may be amplifying this issue
Haven’t tried to update with the August firmware yet. However, I have noticed that iPhone gets hot when wireless charging on any charger (I charge overnight on a
Zens Liberty 16 coil wireless charger Zens Liberty 16 coil wireless charger
). The iPhone also will eventually stop wireless charging all together. REbooting the phone restores wireless charging. I’ve found info online that this is problem with the iPhone, though not clear if it is a hardware or software issue.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wanted to provide an update with a week of ownership of owning the ubc shiny version. I have it plugged in under the armrest and have a wireless charger plugged into the 12v in the front. 2018 S5 SB. The start up time is 10-15 seconds when the car is cold started. However, running into the store and back in the car again is 2 seconds. I have not had any problems using Waze or Spotify. I did have an error when trying to click on a contact to call, but other than that i would give this product a 9/10.

My phone is running IOS14 beta version
Old 08-14-2020, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 311 Likes on 235 Posts

Great to hear that the carplay version is now working great..... Now what about us Android people??? I wrote the them some months back and they said they were working on it. I hope it is soon.
The following users liked this post:
2019RS5Sportback (08-14-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I managed to enable wireless CarPlay in my 2020 A4, the adaptations for A6 , A7 didn’t work and after some digging all the different setting in modules , I recently found the key was in module 75 telematics.
May be applicable to the newer A5’s S5,RS5
worth a look
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-.../#post25488259 Here
Old 08-16-2020, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Thorpey
I managed to enable wireless CarPlay in my 2020 A4, the adaptations for A6 , A7 didn’t work and after some digging all the different setting in modules , I recently found the key was in module 75 telematics.
worth a look
I'll have to check for these settings the next time i hook up to the car. I think the 5ghz is in there but not the wireless carplay adaptation.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Thorpey
worth a look
congrats! I wonder if it would work on 2019 models?
Old 08-16-2020, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stwus
congrats! I wonder if it would work on 2019 models?
fingers crossed for you. There are references to both CarPlay wireless and 5ghz in module 5f multimedia , but I think if the telematics module 75 is present with 5ghz the values in the 5f module are ignored. As I have different values for the bandwidth in both (but it is the one in the telematics module that are taken )

this was what final got it working for me.
I’m speculating but perhaps all the radios :- WiFi lte Bluetooth etc are now within the telematics module and the mmi just interfaces with it. (They’d be no point replicating )

Old 08-17-2020, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hunting for the telematics module 75 on the IOS Version of OBDEleven with my 2018 S5 Sportback. I don't seem to have that module in my control units.

Quick Reply: Wireless Carplay