Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Wireless Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by sthulin
So i hooked VCS up to the car today and i have the 2019 with the phone kit. I have the module 75, but it only had 5ghz listed, nothing in the adaptations listed car play and i didnt have most of the adaptations listed in 5f either. Granted my MMI hasn't been updated since i got the car and i am on an older build of VCS from early 2019, but not sure that would make a difference.
Found the same when I explored this yesterday in my '19 S5 with VCDS. There was no "smartphone configuration" in 75 nor in 5F. I don't recall offhand the others that were missing but definitely didn't see the same stuff you listed. I assume this is a hardware difference between MIB2 and MIB3 that just won't make it possible on the '19.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

yes suspect there will be differences .
If you are able to enable 5Ghz in module 75,
you could try the following values in Module : 5F. (Information Control Unit)

Adaptation

Vehicle Configuration

MirrorLink = On
WiFi_Client_HMI = On
Apple_DIO_Wireless = On
wlan_5ghz_switch = Activated
Apple_DIO = On
Old 08-22-2020, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,248 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Thorpey
yes suspect there will be differences .
If you are able to enable 5Ghz in module 75,
you could try the following values in Module : 5F. (Information Control Unit)

Adaptation

Vehicle Configuration

MirrorLink = On
WiFi_Client_HMI = On
Apple_DIO_Wireless = On
wlan_5ghz_switch = Activated
Apple_DIO = On
I was able to make all the connections you listed above on a 2019 S5 with OBD11 Pro and iPhone X. I cannot seem to get wireless Carplay to work, are there any further steps necessary? Thanks for any help!
Old 08-22-2020, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
I was able to make all the connections you listed above on a 2019 S5 with OBD11 Pro and iPhone X. I cannot seem to get wireless Carplay to work, are there any further steps necessary? Thanks for any help!
Same, except using VCDS. I also unpaired my phone from Bluetooth and Carplay prior to changing the above. And afterwards, I reset the MMI. But, there was no change in the name of my Wifi network (apparently it would've been appended with "_5ghz"). I found the OBD Eleven CarPlay Thread over on the OBD Eleven forums that the above steps were copied/pasted. Note that everyone posting there seems to reference the MIB3 (touchscreen) MMI found on the 2020 USA cars and 2019 non-USA cars. Just different hardware, maybe a dead end for us with MIB2.....
Old 08-22-2020, 10:28 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,399 Posts

I, for one, will take the “trade-off” of no touch screen & a volume control for no (factory) wireless CarPlay.

— John
Old 08-22-2020, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Andy_FL
Same, except using VCDS. I also unpaired my phone from Bluetooth and Carplay prior to changing the above. And afterwards, I reset the MMI. But, there was no change in the name of my Wifi network (apparently it would've been appended with "_5ghz"). I found the OBD Eleven CarPlay Thread over on the OBD Eleven forums that the above steps were copied/pasted. Note that everyone posting there seems to reference the MIB3 (touchscreen) MMI found on the 2020 USA cars and 2019 non-USA cars. Just different hardware, maybe a dead end for us with MIB2.....
After playing around with this for about 3 hours (car battery on trickle charger) and having done everything you did and changed the S5's wifi password and then connected to the my iPhone X, I am able to connect to the cars wifi easily, but no Carplay. I'm gonna let it sit for a few hours and see if it Carplay appears in the MMI. Sometimes it can take a few minutes to a few hours for changes to occur. After that I am finished and will connect via the cable (that is not such a big deal anyway). I want to keep my hair (I almost pulled it out this morning)...I know when I am beaten and Wireless Carplay can go F#@#% itself right in the lightning connector!!

Last edited by synergize; 08-22-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I, for one, will take the “trade-off” of no touch screen & a volume control for no (factory) wireless CarPlay.

— John
Indeed John, this is the only way to stay sane and keep one's hair intact!
Old 08-22-2020, 10:51 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 584 Likes on 382 Posts

After playing around with this for about 3 hours (car battery on trickle charger) and having done everything you did and changed the S5's wifi password and then connected to the my iPhone X, I am able to connect to the cars wifi easily, but no Carplay. I'm gonna let it sit for a few hours and see if it Carplay appears in the MMI. Sometimes it can take a few minutes to a few hours for changes to occur. After that I am finished and will connect via the cable (that is not such a big deal anyway). I want to keep my hair (I almost pulled it out this morning)...I know when I am beaten and Wireless Carplay can go F#@#% itself right in the lightning connector!!
Time for my shameless plug: get one of these!
The following 2 users liked this post by MH62:
Nikon1 (08-22-2020), synergize (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

do you see a separate 5ghz network ? (There is adaptation to have it named the same or different )

it’s difficult without seeing it. If you want to backup module 5f and 75 I’d be happy to take a look.
It maybe that it’s not possible but worth a go I suppose.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Thorpey
do you see a separate 5ghz network ? (There is adaptation to have it named the same or different )

it’s difficult without seeing it. If you want to backup module 5f and 75 I’d be happy to take a look.
It maybe that it’s not possible but worth a go I suppose.
No 5G label on my Car's Wifi. I'll double check it and make sure, do you have 5G in your car?

Quick Reply: Wireless Carplay