Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Would you trust your dealer or Discount Tire more to install new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Would you trust your dealer or Discount Tire more to install new tires?

So I've taken my other car to Discount Tire many times and they're great. Cheap, fast, friendly service. But that's also the reason why I don't want to take my Audi there. They work like they're always in a rush and I don't trust them to meticulously handle my Audi. I have also seen techs struggle with low profile tires and I'm afraid they would scratch or bend the rims. Initially I was going to just bring the 4 wheels to them to put new tires on, and they would do that. That wouldn't prevent them from scratching the rims but at least they can't scratch the car or over-tighten the lug nuts. However, if I do that I suspect I'd void the tires warranty since there's no "car" associated with those tires and they can't track if you rotated the tires or not.

I talked to my Audi dealer and while they do sell certain brand and model of tires, they don't have the Pilot Sport 4S that I want (They have the older Pilot Sport 3). It'll also cost $120 for them to mount tires I purchased from Tire Rack.

Do dealers usually have the proper equipment to mount and balance tires? And are the techs usually trained on that?
Old 10-02-2019, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When it comes to tires, I've found the local tire shops to be better for both installing the tires and the alignment. The dealerships don't have great tire expertise in general.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Discount Tire can handle your wheels just fine. I have been using them for the last decade in multiple cars and very pricey sets of wheels. The stock tires (or even my aftermarket 275/30/20 are low profile, but nothing they can't handle. I have had them do a 295/25 series tire not too long ago.

Just make sure when you go there that you ask for assurance them won't scratch anything. That's something I do at EVERY shop, regardless of their equipment because places can have the best equipment, but amateurs handling them.
Then definitely won't overtorque anything because every DT I have been to uses torque sticks and torque wrenches in the install process.

As for the dealer, they can do it too, but at a premium. My local Audi dealer has all the same equipment DT has (Like the RoadForce balancer), except they also have a touchless tire changer too. The type that grasps the wheels with the hub and lug hole provisions instead of the edge of the wheel. Even those touchless machines can scratch wheels. Ask me how I know. 🥺
The following 2 users liked this post by BreedsAs:
bbbobbb (10-03-2019), peteh2 (10-06-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

I’ve used recommended installers from TireRack once or twice. I’ve used one Indy shop pretty much exclusively fo 30 years, they’ve also repaired and refinished dozens of wheels but they’ve stopped. The son doesn’t want to do it anymore and frankly the bizmodel sux for a small biz. Wheelcollision.com seems to do well for wheel repair.

Ive used BMW dealer for leased cars with RF tires..no muss no fuss, $50 deductible on premium tire same as one damaged.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I have used the local Discount Tire for years and have been pleased. I always talk with the guys while they are doing the work. A couple of years ago I brought my Jeep SRT in for new tires. While the guy was taking off the lug nuts, he slipped and ran the socket across my wheel and scratched it. He looked at me, i looked at him, and we both just cringed. Long story short, they bought a new OEM wheel with minimal back and forth. The craziest part of the story...the OEM Jeep SRT wheel was just over $2,000!! After that, when I would show up, the manager would always put his top guy on my car!

All that being said, I trust them because I watch them. ;-)
Old 10-03-2019, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

I’ve used a local shop, American Tire, that did a great job when I put my PS4S tire on a replacement rim. Great tire choice by the way.
David
Old 10-03-2019, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts

Mr. Tire, Discount Tires etc. do more tire work in day than likely the dealer in a fortnight. Many dealers simply sub it out to a tire place. It s not the shop but who is doing the work that is most important. Some installers are more careful than others.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by stanfna
I have used the local Discount Tire for years and have been pleased. I always talk with the guys while they are doing the work. A couple of years ago I brought my Jeep SRT in for new tires. While the guy was taking off the lug nuts, he slipped and ran the socket across my wheel and scratched it. He looked at me, i looked at him, and we both just cringed. Long story short, they bought a new OEM wheel with minimal back and forth. The craziest part of the story...the OEM Jeep SRT wheel was just over $2,000!! After that, when I would show up, the manager would always put his top guy on my car!

All that being said, I trust them because I watch them. ;-)
Are you allowed to talk to them while they work? All the ones I've seen just have the watch glass...
Old 10-03-2019, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Are you allowed to talk to them while they work? All the ones I've seen just have the watch glass...
yes and no. they will frown on you walking into the shop area via the door in the sales room. I typically will just walk outside and casually walk over to the garage door where my car is. As long as you are just "shooting the sh*t" they probably won't say anything. but if you are micro managing them and in the way, they may politely ask you to wait in the waiting room.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

I don't go to the chain stores or dealerships for tires and consumables in general. I have an indy shop for that stuff where I know the people and owner and they do excellent work. They happen to be a recommended Tirerack installer, so I just purchase tires at Tirerack and have them shipped there directly. They charge about $50 per tire to mount and road force balance and do an excellent job repairing tires as well. They take their time and don't rush anything. I do alignments at the dealerships, though. I've had less than satisfying experiences doing alignments even at my indy shop. There are sensors that need to be reset with these modern cars. More and more depends on things like the steering sensors etc., I've had my indy attempt to align my RS5 once and the result was not great. The smaller shops use vagcom to reset the steering angle sensor, and I don't think that's enough. Hunter actually offers an add-on to their rack, that does all the required resets at the end of the alignment. I would only go to shops that have it. Basically the car felt funny after the alignment at my indy shop. They drove it with me afterwards and had to agree that something isn't right. Took it to the dealership for another alignment, and then all was good.
The following users liked this post:
audimb (10-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Would you trust your dealer or Discount Tire more to install new tires?