Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Write Up on Latest Remote Start option for B9 models A4/S4, A5/S5, and RS5

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
It's only so long. You can probably get this new one into the cabin of the trunk through the door on the left side of the trunk compartment.
That's it.
So you're keeping it in the small cubby behind the panel?
Old 03-16-2020, 11:53 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by sthulin
Are you folks still keeping this thermistor in the cubby in the trunk or are you extending it into the cabin somewhere?
Rear cubby for me -- I am ****, but knowing the approximate temperature of the S5 interior is enough for me.

As the wrong thermistor gave reading that were way too low - and kicked the butt warmers on every time, I can only hope that when the interior gets really warm, it will kick the warm weather seat fans on, but I'm not banking on that as the warm weather seats are an option.

Anyway -- I'm glad we finally got this issue straightened out.

Extra cable to discard

For anyone who is ordering the correct thermistor, a word of caution: The thermistor comes with a second small cable (shown above) which has a resistor in-line -- Do Not Use this extension cable! I think it's for another device interface. Just use the 2 wire, Blue connector into the CMWXAO module.

-- John

Last edited by Nikon1; 03-16-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:51 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
It sure does work! Just doesn't work when the car is remote started, just like it doesn't when the car is push button started.
Another late edition: If:

1) Use are using the Drone (telematics) for your remote start &

2) You are using the Apple iOS platform &

3) You have an Apple Series 4 or 5 Watch with Cellular Service enabled,

(I know — A lot of IFs)

You can download the Drone Apple Watch app and you have full remote capability on your wrist. For me, this means when I remote start my car, when I get to the car I can unlock the car with my watch - I do not have to pull either my key fob or my iPhone out to unlock the car. This is a solid “10” for me.

— John
Old 03-17-2020, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Rear cubby for me -- I am ****, but knowing the approximate temperature of the S5 interior is enough for me.

As the wrong thermistor gave reading that were way too low - and kicked the butt warmers on every time, I can only hope that when the interior gets really warm, it will kick the warm weather seat fans on, but I'm not banking on that as the warm weather seats are an option.

Anyway -- I'm glad we finally got this issue straightened out.

Extra cable to discard

For anyone who is ordering the correct thermistor, a word of caution: The thermistor comes with a second small cable (shown above) which has a resistor in-line -- Do Not Use this extension cable! I think it's for another device interface. Just use the 2 wire, Blue connector into the CMWXAO module.

-- John
Good info -thanks!!!
But has anyone successfully spliced an extension into the thermistor so they can run it into the cabin somewhere?????
Old 03-17-2020, 07:15 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by Thes6isWicked
Good info -thanks!!!
But has anyone successfully spliced an extension into the thermistor so they can run it into the cabin somewhere?????
i do not see why that would be a problem as adding 6-to-8 feet of wire should not change the resistance / capacitance of the thermistor that much. As I said a few posts back, I’m just looking for an approximate temperature read out.

— John
Old 03-17-2020, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
i do not see why that would be a problem as adding 6-to-8 feet of wire should not change the resistance / capacitance of the thermistor that much. As I said a few posts back, I’m just looking for an approximate temperature read out.

— John
My plan, as well.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if it's been posted, but I have remote start on my RS5 via Car link. I can use either my key fob or the phone app. I've had it for 3 months with no issues.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the iDatalink VW specific module installed on my RS5.
Works fantastically, however, there are some VERY significant issues with the unit and the manufacturer confirmed that's just the way it works, as it's a stripped down model of the CT series.

If you use the DroneMobile:
1) It will not report accurate status unless you use the app only (not your key or door handle, to open doors).
2) If you start the car with the key, it will not see the engine as started either

Quite frankly, I'm a bit disappointed as I purchased this unit specifically so it would easily integrate with the CAN Bus and modules on the Audi and provide real-time, accurate data.
It does NOT.
It works fine for remote start and a confirmation of the start, and to lock/unlock the doors, but if you want real-time status, you'll still need to use the AudiConnect app.

How did I find this out, you ask?
It started raining, and so I checked the DroneMobile app to ensure the windows were up, car was locked, etc.
As I had locked them manually using the vehicle systems, it reported the doors were unlocked and the windows were down.
Of course, I panicked and ran out - only to find that neither was the case....
Tech support confirmed that this is "normal" behavior - a feature, if you will.

And I was irritated enough that I forgot to ask if there is a way/temp to automatically activate the heated seats (at least the drivers).
If anyone knows, that would be great as I'll have to buy the programming cable to enable it...

UPDATE: It does report status correctly, it's just VERY inconsistent. DroneMobile tech support is useless.

Last edited by Thes6isWicked; 03-18-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:30 PM
Club AutoUnion

Well, as both @BreedsAs & I found out, putting in the wrong thermistor will cause the seat warmers to activate every time! To me, it seems like the most common thermistor (not the correct thermistor as noted on the previous page) is calibrated in Celsius, despite the interface being set to Fahrenheit, causing the temperature to be displayed incorrectly on the drone interface as well as logically to the interface. I say this based on taking the incorrect temperature displayed and converting it from Celsius to Fahrenheit with the result being a reasonable temperature based on the ambient temperature in the car.

Its my hope that if the system is smart enough to activate the seat warmers at a low temperature, it may also be smart enough to enable the seat fans. It has not been warm enough here to try this.

— John
Old 03-18-2020, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

That's odd because have not noticed the number (1) complaint. What I have noticed is that to get the most up to date and real time status with Drone Mobile, you have to refresh the home page first. Mine will then show the status as of that refresh, and it will notify if the car is locked or open regardless of what was used to open/lock it last.

The number (2) part if your complaint is true. The app can "start" the car if the car is already on, but that procedure will not be successful. It also will not affect the car negatively as the module (and car) has anti-grind technology configured.
If you attempt to start the car while it is on, it will fail.

And yes you can program the seats to come on dependant on temperature, but you'll need the ACC-TEMP1 sensor plugged into the two pin blue port first.
The setting will also have to be activated prior to flashing the module. The setting is on by default so I'm sure yours is too.

Quick Reply: Write Up on Latest Remote Start option for B9 models A4/S4, A5/S5, and RS5