Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Write Up on Latest Remote Start option for B9 models A4/S4, A5/S5, and RS5

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,204 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by thebeagle11
Hello, I am looking to undertake this project. Great read and conversation here. I am pricing things out and think I have everything in carts and ready to go. Only question is on the Drone Mobile module. Will this one work?

https://www.amazon.com/DroneMobile-V.../dp/B081NVB8GG

There are huge price discrepancies between best buy: $200, https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dronemo...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Crutchfield: $150 https://www.crutchfield.com/S-cqxb9v...BoCCGYQAvD_BwE

and Amazon.

Want to make sure I am comparing apples to apples here. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
Why wouldn't you go with a CL6 cellular module. First year is free with purchase and then $40 per year afterwards versus the more expensive monthly Drone connectivity fees?
Old 10-01-2021, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
Why wouldn't you go with a CL6 cellular module. First year is free with purchase and then $40 per year afterwards versus the more expensive monthly Drone connectivity fees?
I was just following the instructions on this thread. I didn't see any mention of CL6. I am not very tech savvy. Is install the same?
Old 10-01-2021, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,204 Likes on 937 Posts

I was just following the instructions on this thread. I didn't see any mention of CL6. I am not very tech savvy. Is install the same?
Yes CL6 module is plug and play with the remote start computers from what I understand. I have one plugged into a compustar remote start system. I did not put the system in though.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
Configuration is really up to personal preferences, but there are a few important steps.

In the configuration menu, select Audi, then your model year.
Interestingly enough, the 2019 MY does not show the S5, but shows the RS5, A5, and even A4/S4. Select one of those if you have a 2019 and see if it works.
I have a 2018 which has the S5 option available.

Next, select Push to start automatic.

The following menu will show "remote configuration.
This is for aftermarket remotes, which most aren't using on this board so skip it and proceed to Telematics.

In Telematics, switch the toggle under the phone image to ON. The select which Telematics software you will use. I selected Drone Mobile here. Then proceeded to firmware.

The latest firmware available AS OF January 2020 is: IDSI-VWX-RSD-AUD1 with RSD-AUD v2.5 under it.
The selection box should show the latest available software regardless.

Next is the quick configuration menu. Remote start from the OEM fob should be set at lock, lock, lock (lock 3x).

The features and options menu is important too in the following categories.

1. Engine Type: Should be set to gas.
2. Engine Tach Detection: Should be left on the original setting, being Tach Data.
3. I set runtime to 10 minutes as 15 is too long.
4. Numbers 8, 9, and 10 should be disabled if you don't want your car starting when it wants to due to temperature.
5. 11 (Idle mode) and 13 (Take over should be left on enabled).
6.12 is turbo mode and I left it disabled even though I have a turbo. The OEM computer can control the cooling meant for the turbo on its own.
7.Everything else through number 25 in the remote starter category I left as is.

Next I clicked, Save and Go to Guides as the other settings categories I'm not interested in.

In the guides area, you are free to download them if you feel you need them. This write up should be enough to be fine.

Next, go to flash!
It will present a screenshot of your settings which will look similar to the pic below. Then flash away by clicking flash your device.
While flashing, look at your Compustart module you're plugged to and ensure the green led flashes, and your computer says flash was successfully completed.

Now unplug and you're done in the software category.

​​​​​​
Hi guys, sorry for the dumb question. I am going to attempt this on Saturday. Do I need to do this step (above, flashing the CMVWXA0 if the ebay seller already did that? When I purchased the module on Ebay the seller asked if I wanted it programmed. I said yes. So is this step necessary? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:03 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,409 Posts

@thebeagle11 — Not if you trust your seller! This is the step where you can program in the features you do or don’t want.

— John
The following users liked this post:
thebeagle11 (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wonderful. Thanks so much for the quick reply.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, I tried last night. Didn’t go so hot. I got into the wiring pretty easy, got the harness attached no problem. Had everything hooked up and had a friend start it. For the life of me I couldn’t get the green lights on the cmx module to light up when my buddy turned the car on. I went into flash it thinking the eBay seller may have messed up. He certainly did as he had it loaded as a diesel type engine… so I switched it back to gas. All other fields were accurate. Thinking I had it solved, I tried again…but still the green lights didn’t light up.

The car starts and runs fine. When I pull the MS 1 and MS2 and plug them back in…the green lights briefly flash. So I know the unit is getting power. I’ve checked the wiring diagram and everything is where it should be. I have removed the battery from my key… I am at a loss. I’ll try to contact support tomorrow. Any thoughts from you all?

is it possible I am setting the engine position to ON incorrectly? To do that I just push the start/stop button with no brake. Correct?

is it because I have the trunk open while I am trying to program it?

I don’t know. Spent the last 4 hrs on this. I am about ready to take it to the shop and have them do it. Ugh.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Oops, The outlet is for the Telecom. Please disregard this post...but not the one above!

Last edited by thebeagle11; 10-19-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Everyone,

Has anybody figured out how to use the aux functions with the iDatastart CMVWXA0 module? I assume it needs some additional wiring. I would love to be able to open and close my windows from my drone mobile app.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I tried last night. Didn’t go so hot. I got into the wiring pretty easy, got the harness attached no problem. Had everything hooked up and had a friend start it. For the life of me I couldn’t get the green lights on the cmx module to light up when my buddy turned the car on. I went into flash it thinking the eBay seller may have messed up. He certainly did as he had it loaded as a diesel type engine… so I switched it back to gas. All other fields were accurate. Thinking I had it solved, I tried again…but still the green lights didn’t light up.

The car starts and runs fine. When I pull the MS 1 and MS2 and plug them back in…the green lights briefly flash. So I know the unit is getting power. I’ve checked the wiring diagram and everything is where it should be. I have removed the battery from my key… I am at a loss. I’ll try to contact support tomorrow. Any thoughts from you all?

is it possible I am setting the engine position to ON incorrectly? To do that I just push the start/stop button with no brake. Correct?

is it because I have the trunk open while I am trying to program it?

I don’t know. Spent the last 4 hrs on this. I am about ready to take it to the shop and have them do it. Ugh.
You need to start the engine, holding down the brake. After engine starts, release brake. Then do the tach procedure (wait 15s, press and hold brake, press+release programming button, release brake). If that doesn't work, I would do a module reset (page 12), and try the tach procedure again. http://images.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/ADS-PG/ADS-PG-[CMVWXA0]-EN_20200713.pdf

Check the error codes for anything missing.

Trunk open shouldn't matter (I have it open; sportback).

Last edited by Alex2718; 10-19-2021 at 08:49 PM. Reason: fix URL 2

Quick Reply: Write Up on Latest Remote Start option for B9 models A4/S4, A5/S5, and RS5