Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Write Up on Latest Remote Start option for B9 models A4/S4, A5/S5, and RS5

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 10:48 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
Ok I'll definitely go the OEM route from the jump!

FYI — My dealer ordered the:

“transmitter” (P/N: 8WO - 959 - 754 - AN - TKE] for $274.50 (required for remote start)
and “key” (P/N: 4MO - 837 - 216 - A - AIF) for $84.00 (not required for remote start)

The “key” was my fault for not telling them what I was doing with the 3rd key. If you are going to order a third “sacrificial” key, just order the transmitter!

The labor charge to “program” the new key / reprogram the MMI for the additional key was $147 (but that was offset by the $150 coupon posted on the Audi site).

— John
The following users liked this post:
Tesla1856 (12-16-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Thank you Nikon!
I am going to see if I can get my friend to give me his employee discount on the key. The programming should be free too.
If he gets a good amount of discount, I am willing to pass it on to a few forum members.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks BreedsAs, I managed to install it on my 2019 S5 today. Not sure what was wrong the last time. The 2019 S5 does appear on idatalink's website now, but the firmware is the same.

One thing I do notice is that, after remote start, the car won't automatically unlock when I approach (set by OBDeleven), nor after putting my hand on the handle. I have to use the fob to unlock the car. Do you have the same experience?

How's the Drone working out for you? I'm a little hesitant to get it, since the Android app has so many poor reviews.

Old 01-26-2020, 04:16 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by Alex2718
One thing I do notice is that, after remote start, the car won't automatically unlock when I approach (set by OBDeleven), nor after putting my hand on the handle. I have to use the fob to unlock the car. Do you have the same experience?.
While I have not coded the unlock on approach, the unlock by touching the door handle & trunk open by foot are going to be deal-breakers if the remote start disables those features. I have gotten used to practically burying the key fob in a coat pocket: having to change that behavior after 20+ months . . . Not looking to do that!

I’ll be watching this thread to see what @BreedsAs replies.

— John
Old 01-26-2020, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks BreedsAs, I managed to install it on my 2019 S5 today. Not sure what was wrong the last time. The 2019 S5 does appear on idatalink's website now, but the firmware is the same.

One thing I do notice is that, after remote start, the car won't automatically unlock when I approach (set by OBDeleven), nor after putting my hand on the handle. I have to use the fob to unlock the car. Do you have the same experience?

How's the Drone working out for you? I'm a little hesitant to get it, since the Android app has so many poor reviews.
Originally Posted by Nikon1
While I have not coded the unlock on approach, the unlock by touching the door handle & trunk open by foot are going to be deal-breakers if the remote start disables those features. I have gotten used to practically burying the key fob in a coat pocket: having to change that behavior after 20+ months . . . Not looking to do that!

I’ll be watching this thread to see what @BreedsAs replies.

— John
Unfortunately guys, the remote start does disable the feature of auto unlocking, and the unlock by door handle touch. I'm not sure about the kick feature yet though.
It's normal though because none of those features work when the car is on in the absence of remote start.

BUT, if you have telematics (Drone) installed, you can lock, unlock, and open the hatch by phone.
Also, I have an Android (Pixel 3 XL).
​​​​​​Now I have not been able to use my Drone Mobile app yet because I need a new Verizon SIM card from Drone that hasn't arrived. I'll report back when it does.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

While I have a different remote start setup, they all essentially work the same: Fake the car into thinking you are physically in the car starting it up. Our ECU doesn't have a factory remote start program built into the ECU that can simply be enabled. Therefore, there are some quirks with any remote start solution.

Since the car is of the opinion you were in the car, started it, and have your doors locked - it disables someone from the outside unlocking the doors via the proximity method, even with the proper key-fob. My guess is, you could have the following scenario: You are in the car, and your key-fob is right next to the door. Since the car is running and doors are locked, someone without keyfob could try and open your door. Your keyfob is right next to the door (but inside), but the car can't be 100% certain if the keyfob is inside or outside. Therefore, the feature has to be disabled to prevent that. (I don't know the accuracy of the key location. Maybe it can determine inside vs. outside, and they just said - ain't happening when programming the ability to unlock a running car.) The ability to allowing that unlocking in that scenario might exist in the ECU (enabled via OBD11, etc), but I doubt it.
Tesla1856 (12-16-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 09:16 AM
Club AutoUnion

Thank you, gentlemen! This really gives me a dilemma in choosing!

— John
Old 01-27-2020, 03:12 AM
Club AutoUnion

Another question for @BreedsAs — If you do not use the remote start, is the “keyless entry / door handle touch to unlock” still functional?

TIA!

— John
Old 01-27-2020, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Another question for @BreedsAs — If you do not use the remote start, is the “keyless entry / door handle touch to unlock” still functional?

TIA!

— John
It sure does work! Just doesn't work when the car is remote started, just like it doesn't when the car is push button started.
Tesla1856 (12-16-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 09:07 AM
Club AutoUnion

@BreedsAs — Thank you! That is a horse of a different color and now I’m following your lead and doing the remote start!

Thank you, Again!

— John
BreedsAs (01-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Write Up on Latest Remote Start option for B9 models A4/S4, A5/S5, and RS5