Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Write Up on Latest Remote Start option for B9 models A4/S4, A5/S5, and RS5

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I’m pretty sure this won’t work as the sacrificial key does not have any battery installed in the fob. The remote start system activates an active RFID circuit to engage the passive coil & circuitry in the sacrificial key fob, thereby allowing the vehicle to start. I don’t think that the active / passive RFID would actually “read” the fob settings.

@BreedsAs can certainly try your suggestion if he wants to.

Good idea, though.

— John
so a little background...

the settings tied to personalization profiles are stored in BCM2 adaptations and associated to the fob unique ID. whichever fob is considered “active” by J393 dictates which set of personalized settings are enabled. the vehicle doesn’t actually transmit individual configuration settings (like mirror fold) to the fob itself.

given that, it should still work as described above if the drone system keeps the key energized throughout the remote start active period and not just briefly during the start procedure. however, if vehicle shows a no key present warning when entering without a fob during remote start then it likely only powers the fob during the initial start request. if that is the case, it MAY still save to the correct fob if the BCM stores personalization settings against the last active key vs the currently active key.

i’ve never tried the no key present personalization setting scenario myself so it will be interesting to learn what the behavior is.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sthulin
So wouldn't having a temp sensor that small defeat the purpose of it? The temp inside the cubby behind the liner in the trunk wouldn't be as effected by the heat / ac / sunlight as the passenger cabin that we're trying to measure, not to mention the electronics heating up in such a small space?

Also 15 degrees C would translate to 59F, is that closer to what the temp should be?
It shows Fahrenheit on the screenshot. Your assessment of being affected by being in the cubby has merit.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman
It shows Fahrenheit on the screenshot. Your assessment of being affected by being in the cubby has merit.
Right, i'm wondering if it's showing F when it should be showing C.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Findings

Ok I just went through the Drone settings. I found an area where the X1 can be set to Imperial or Metric units. Mine is set to Imperial, which is Fahrenheit. Metric being for Celsius. I never tried switching it just to see and it dropped to -4C on the readout. Still doesn't make sense because it's 70 degrees out here today.

I remember the Compustart module having a temperature setting area too and I don't remember exactly what I set it to, but I'm almost positive it's Fahrenheit. If it's not, then the discrepancy would make sense.

Also, I app started the car with the "everyday fob" left in the house, then went in, pressed the brake to do the takeover, then set the mirrors to fold in the MMI. I then turned off amd locked the car with the app, and the mirrors still didn't fold.

The trunk can be open and closed via the Drone App though.
​​​​​
​​​​​
Old 02-03-2020, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
The $10 FT-TEMP sensor arrived. It is a lot smaller than I expected so it has to sit in the compartment with my audio amplifier and other remote starter accessories.
is the plug a standard RJ-11 plug (phone cord)? if so, couldn't you just buy an RJ-11 extension cord?
Old 02-03-2020, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by stanfna
is the plug a standard RJ-11 plug (phone cord)? if so, couldn't you just buy an RJ-11 extension cord?
It's 2 pin ordeal I think that's exclusive to Compustart.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:53 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Remote start is in and it’s so much quicker to remote (iPhone) start than the Drone system in my last car. Time to start from holding the “Start” button on the iPhone app to hearing the car start (the S5 is about 15 miles away) is less than 2 seconds! The Drone that was in my RSX was at least 3 to 4 times longer, from press to actual start.

Same response time for the “Lock / Unlock” commands. The old system was a 3G where this is now 4G.

@BreedsAs — Thank you for your write-up that moved me from undecided.

BTW — My app is showing a similar whacky temperature. It’s currently 62° up here but the Drone App is showing:

— John
The following 2 users liked this post by Nikon1:
BreedsAs (02-04-2020), jf1_ (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm happy you got yours in successfully and quick!
Now if only we can figure out this thermistor issue. I wonder what it could be.....
Old 02-04-2020, 11:09 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
I'm happy you got yours in successfully and quick!
Now if only we can figure out this thermistor issue. I wonder what it could be.....

I’ll drop an email to Drone and tell them it “seems” to be a common problem, between TX & NJ!

— John
Old 02-04-2020, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I’ll drop an email to Drone and tell them it “seems” to be a common problem, between TX & NJ!

— John
Haha you should definitely contact Compustart since it is their sensor going in their module. It could be that the X1 is interpreting temperature data wrong from the module though.

Quick Reply: Write Up on Latest Remote Start option for B9 models A4/S4, A5/S5, and RS5