Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

"Vacum Pump" Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Vacum Pump" Noise

Hi Everyone, this is my first post, although I have been following this forum off an on for almost a year. I have a 2001 allroad, 6pd.

I am hearing an intermittent humming noise which sounds like it is coming from the rear right of the car. (This is not the turbo "spooling" sound that we know and love). Almost always, the noise immediately goes away when the speed of the vehicle goes below 25km per hour.

It's not the brakes - all four have been completely replaced in the last couple of months. Clutch in or out does not affect the noise in any way. The noise is heard more in city driving and actually I think almost never on the highway.

The head technician at a reputable dealer here in Toronto said that the noise was a Vacuum Pump that "fed" the air suspension. He was the one that told me the noise will go away when the car goes below 30km, and in fact he was correct (except that it appears to me that it really goes away below 25km). He also said this was "normal".

I bought the explanation, but now I am thinking that maybe it is not normal, because the noise is quite noticeable and at times annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone know about this?
Old 05-10-2002, 08:13 AM

Default Had same "motoized" noise.. told 3 times it is normal.....

It comes from below rear of the car and it is a motorized noise that is heard throughout the cabin. When I am coming to a stop, it obviously seems louder due to the fact that I am not accelerating. When I stop I hear it for several seconds until the engine winds down. I explained this several times at three different service appointments (recently at 25,000 miles) and was told the same thing. BUT last time I was told it was the turbos??? Now it is said to be the vacuum pump of the air suspension when in the auto mode. It is not a big problem but I know it was not this loud during the first 10k or so. Any one else have ideas or comments???
Old 05-10-2002, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's simply the auto-leveling suspension causing the air pump to run. No big deal. Annoying? Yes.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:26 AM

Default I've been trying to isolate this noise

as I want to install some sound deadening/insulation. Does anyone know how to
access this area by hand?