Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

'01 backup sensor & broke.. more...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 backup sensor & broke.. more...

i went out to my car at work today to discover the 2nd from the left reverse sensor on my rear bumper looked different from the rest of it's family. it looks as if someone took a punch and a hammer and knocked it inside the bumper, it is sitting just behind the face of the bumper and hanging a smidge low. i see no other damage as if someone had hit me, for about a week or two now when i go to reverse the audible sensor beeps at me in my cabin and i couldn't figure out why, the dealership didn't notice it was broke while it was in for an O2 sensor. I even asked the mechanic and he said it might just be dirty. I'm wondering if it's beeping because it's picking up it's own bumper can i somehow pull it back up and glue it into place? How much is a reverse sensor to replace? How in the heck to do you get to the other side of these? From the trunk? or from the bottom of the bumper's aluminum tray?

Side note: I'm sure it's how the sensor is hanging, if i could take a pic and show u all i would. meanwhile, i did recently install a new shifter block (the piece of plastic that wraps around the shifter and even slides when u put it into tip mode.) although i'm sure the reverse alarm was going berserk before i did this. PS: Had to replace this piece because as i came to find out a piece of chewed gum rolled down got stuck on the end and on the black plastic pieces that lay around the shift mechanism, and tired of it being hard to shift one day i ripped and tore at the ~$58.04 piece of interior until it finally popped out with the 3 slide keys and all. I installed the new one in the dealer lot, first install took me 10 mins after doing it wrong once, i'd say if i had to install one again it'd take me less than 3 minutes.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default remove the bumper cover to get to the sensor and fix it.

<ul><li><a href="http://allroadfaq.com/downloads/mods/install_hitch_ZAW808008a.pdf">instructions for removing the bumper cover start on about page 6</a></li></ul>