Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

'02 AR Tire Pressure Monitoring System Q?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '02 AR Tire Pressure Monitoring System Q?

Hi gang,
I'm expecting to take delivery of an '02 allroad within 3 weeks (Green/green, 6 spd). I've ordered the TPMS, but also have had my favourite local tire dealer order a set of AT Italia S5 wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin 215/65-16s for them.

So - what would I need for the winter wheels to be functional with the Audi TPMS? I just spoke to both the service and parts departments at my dealer, and neither could help me! I presume it will be either a sensor strapped to the rim like the SmarTire system, or perhaps a replacement valve stem with a built-in sensor/transmitter... if anyone could help with more details, I'd be very grateful.

By the way, excellent forum you guys have! I've been lurking for over a year, and finally ordered our AR in November. We decided on an allroad because we insist on having a manual transmission, and wanted a powerful, luxurious, roomy yet sporty family hauler. It's a tradeoff - to be honest, I'd be happy without the adjustable suspension and with a sportier suspension calibration, but the allroad is only way to get a manual trans in an A6 Avant - especially with the 2.7T (I've been following the posts about recalibrating the AR ride height with interest). If a vehicle doesn't have a manual transmission, my wife or I aren't interested! Reality says that we don't see that many twisty roads up here around Calgary anyway, and we'll be more likely to take advantage of the AR's capabilities on our frequent ski trips to the mountains. We've sold our '98 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon in anticipation of the allroad's arrival. We also almost bought a Euro-spec '95 BMW 540iT last summer instead - it was a personal import from Germany, with the Touring wagon body, 4 litre V8, and the 6 speed manual transmission. Concerns about the original Nikasil engine block and the asking price left us falling short on that deal, but in the end we're happier getting the allroad since we do a lot of winter driving in the mountains!

Anyway, sorry for rambling - I really just wanted to ask about the Tire Pressure Monitoring System!

Thanks,
Gordon
Old 01-09-2002, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: '02 AR Tire Pressure Monitoring System Q?

Sorry, I can't answer your question. I was wondering about your expected delivery date. I'm in Vancouver and ordered a 6 speed in October (silver) my dealer says it won't be here until late Feb or early March. Claims there are no Canadian shipments in Dec or Jan. Have you heard any different? Thanks.
Old 01-09-2002, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Canadian Order Status

I'd be nagging your dealer again! My sales rep says that Audi has a new tracking system, detailed enough that they can tell if your car is entering or exiting the paint booth.

We ordered in late October, and were told at the time that delivery would be late Feb or early March - same story as yours. In early November we were told that our order was scheduled for build for week 50 (mid-December); in late November we were told that our car had actually started build on Nov 27; On Jan 3 we were told that our car had arrived in port in Halifax! Depending on how quickly it gets loaded on a train (somewhat random, can take anywhere from one week to one month), it could be here in two weeks, or it could be as late as 5 weeks from now.

I have a copy of the Vehicle Order Status sheet that I picked up from my dealer yesterday - it shows our VIN with the specific options for our order, Status Date (12/28/2001), and Order Status shows "Port Stock (30)".

You should be able to get a similar Vehicle Order status sheet from your sales rep, and similar updates on your order. Let me know what they say!

Regards,
Gordon