Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

05 AR Throttle Lag

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 AR Throttle Lag

Hi guys--My first post--be gentle with me! I have searched prior discussions on this topic and don't want to beat an already dead horse any further,BUT I bought a beautiful new loaded 2.7 Alpalka AR w/ tip, which now has 3500 miles on it.
I love this car in every way except I think it wants to kill me. It almost did to my wife and now she won't drive it! You all know what I'm talking about so I'll save the tour. I just had it in for 6-month service and tech says it specs out per Audi. We traded in a 2000 VW Passat 4-motion w/ Tip and like an idiot, I assumed the lag problem would have been addressed in the intervening five years. My nephew has an RS-6 (I hate him) and he reports no throttle lag whatsoever.
I suppose this is wishful thinking, but does anyone have current info on a fix for this problem. If not, it may be necessary to get a different car--or--a new wife! Thanks----
Old 04-09-2005, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi does not have a fix. BUT..

You can keep it in S mode and you can get what is called a TCM chip. Transmission Control Moldule Chip from a company known as AWE Tuning. They have a network of tuining companies that can install it in about an hour. This chip uses a differnt program that help smooth out and speed up the shifts of the car, Its not perfect, but given the lag caused by the turbo, and the transmissions "brain" it is the best and only solution.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:39 AM

Default They still haven't changed that on a 05 ar? What are the symptoms?

1) 10mph and pushing the pedal (kick-down) - result= up to a 2 second delay before response,
2) driving moderate in urban areas with normal acceleration - result= either a very slow response that makes you push the pedal harder, and if you push a bit harder then sometimes the car abruptly just takes off like an F16...unwanted..

..is this what you've encountered? or similar scenarios of course...

if so, then they haven't made significant Software upgrades to eliminate this 5 year old problem.
well, a Tip/AT doesn't help much to improve on this gap but it shouldn't be that bad anymore.

And it is NOT a Turbo lag, correct? Just to make sure.....
Old 04-09-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Audi does not have a fix. BUT..

Many thanks, Paul--I'll look into it.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: They still haven't changed that on a 05 ar? What are the symptoms?

Basically correct on all counts. Sometimes about one second delay when pulling away after short stop. Also, after pulling into traffic flow, no immediate response while watching traffic bearing down on you!! One foot throttle/brake operation; not talking turbo lag.
What's maddening is that my haul-the-dog,Home-Depot-run Honda Element at one third the cost throttle response is immediate and linear. Geeeze!
Old 04-09-2005, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I know the A8 guys change their TCM programming via vagcom

dunno what sort of alternate programs are in the TCM of the AR... but there are probably a few others that are selectable by changing the default value to another.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There is a vag code procedure for the ar.. search the archive for it?
Old 04-09-2005, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nothing will fix it, tip chip will make it better then you will get use to it:>(
Old 04-09-2005, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default BTL syndrome

No Fix.

No TCU programming. No tip chip. no ECU chip. Not driving in 'S'. Not barking at the moon. None of those things will make the BTL go away. You must adapt your driving style to override it so it's not an issue.

You will begin to recognize it's happening and do the 'lift and push' technique on the throttle to override it.

As always consult my previous posts on this topic.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:04 PM

Default There could be one thing that will help to fix it... ;-)

Downpipes + Exhaust....the throttle doesn't even have a chance to delay, that is what I really enjoy every day - no lag, neither Turbo, Throttle or anything else for that matter ;-)

The only "lag" would be visible in the Bank account.

Quick Reply: 05 AR Throttle Lag