Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

05 Xenon Headlamp ballast question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Xenon Headlamp ballast question

When shifting hi/lo lever, driving in snowfall with new car last weekend, the whole engine shorted out & multiple warning lights came on insturment panel, and I noticed the right side xenon lo beam went out. Lamp reset it self after start up and the warning lights in IP cleared, too.....

I just replaced column lever assembly, which did not show an obvious burn or short once removed. (At least it was cheap!) Now it switches without shorting the engine off- though its dry out so i have not tried this in wet conditions...however still having a weird problem & outage with that headlight:

When I use the lever to turn the hi beams on, the right turn signal indicator arrow in the instrument panel, glows very dimly. The right xenon does come on but only for a flash, then its out. Wonder if I still have a short in the wiring somewhere? or, is this an indication of the ballast being shot or shorted out itself from moisture?

Indy shop tells me there are no codes, but they suspect ballast is dead/dying. They hope a new ballast will also cure the dim glow of the turn indicator.....

Shokan wants $240 for a used ballast, but I see Ebay sellers with mini digital ballast for 20-30$. Confusion here, but prob I want to stick with factory parts, right? I searched forum with no specific info on this issue, and also checked with dealer, this late 05 model according to them, did not have a instrument panel wiring short recall on it.
Can anyone here share recommendation for sourcing ballast?
And if any thoughts on possible other dash shorts to look for? Thanks...
Old 12-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update- tonight, in dry conditions, low beam and high beam work fine, and no glow from turn signal light on dashboard. Making me think this is really a failing ballast (and that when ballast is wet, shorts out the engine current during switch from hi to lo).

Does anyone have recommendations for pricing, source, used v new, etc on ballasts?