Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2.7T - cylinder head rebuild - engine out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2.7T - cylinder head rebuild - engine out?

i don't have access to my 'steam driven' XP with Bentley right now: after timing belt mishap (looks like a piece of plastic got between the belt and the crank sprocket; belt jumped 30 degree or so), I have no compression.

I consider having the heads rebuild.

Can the cylinder heads be removed without 'engine out'?
Old 08-31-2013, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the Bentley manual, and for the life of me I can't find any information on pulling either the engine or the heads - not their best effort IMHO.

However, seems to me that you'll also need to at least inspect the pistons for damage too, and I don't think I'd want to go to this much trouble and expense without going ahead and looking at everything, turbo's, seals.....so it would be engine out if it were me.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Found this comment, indicating that heads (and turbo for that matter?) CAN be removed with engine in. Just leaves the question: how difficult is it (compared to removing engine and tranny):

Step 1 - Remove Engine
So, I skipped step 1.
I got both heads off of the engine I was working on and back on, and I've never done this before that.

It wasn't easy for me, and there were some tricks involved. It would be much easier with the engine out. But the work involved in pulling the engine isn't worth it, IMO - as long as you know what the problem is and that it's correctable. If you find you have an issue beyond the heads, you'll probably have to pull the engine at that point...but that's just pessimism.

Have the thing put into service position and start taking off all the top end "stuff" and you can do it. Pull the exhaust manifold with the head by unbolting the exhaust from the top of the turbo - which is 3 very stuck bolts most likely
Old 08-31-2013, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really pulling the engines not that bad. Undo the exhaust at the clamps, unbolt the drive shaft, unbolt the axles, remove the whole front clip, pull the wipers and open the ecu box, undo the 5-6 connectors, put the ecu and harness on top of the engine, cut the zip ties on the fire wall harness, heater hoses, steering hoses from pump, evap hoses, fuel lines, lower subframe, undo shift cable, and drag it all out, then its nice and easy to work on. If you can actually remove the 3 bolts on each manifold that requires a 8mm allen to remove while its in the car then its very doable in car, its usallly that there stuck and impossible to remove.