Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2002 allroad sometimes air suspension works sometimes doesn't

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 allroad sometimes air suspension works sometimes doesn't

Can anybody help me figure out what could be the problem. I bought my 2002 allroad almost a year ago with 55,000KM...now the car is 65Kkm. Here are the symphtoms
1. in reduce altitude mode: the car usually keeps this position for a few minutes, then the yellow indicator start to flash in the dashboard and keeps like this all the time. When I turn off the car only the drivers side (front left) goes totally down. below the usual minimum altitude.

2. in normal altitude, sometimes keeps inflated sometimes the yellow indicator in the dash start to flash and the car goes totally down.

3. in Full altitude, the car can stay for over a week like this. It never reduce the altitud.

now, I have to change both front outer tie rod end and front tires...could this be the cause of the problems?

I assume the air suspension sleves are ok, since I have no problems once I reach the maximum altitude.

Can somebody advise?
Old 02-21-2009, 09:00 AM

Default Re: 2002 allroad sometimes air suspension works sometimes doesn't

Our 2002 at about 70-80k miles did the occassional single side droop when left sitting for a while. It would always pump up to regular height once the ignition was turned on. We realized after a while that setting the car at level 2 made this problem go away. I found this odd but other people on the forum have reported non-sagging at different settings. This "fix" only lasted a couple months after which the entire front end (both sides) were all the way down in the morning and the compressor could not raise the car. As advised on this site, we did not drive the car because of the stress on the drivetrain when the suspension is on the bump stops.

It turned out we had a full on leak on one of the front air springs. I recently changed them both out with the units from Arnott (which are very nice for half the cost of Audi OEM). The car is totally back to normal with no sagging and perfect control at all levels. I suspect you also have an intermittently leaking air spring.

Good luck,
Andy
Old 02-21-2009, 10:29 AM

Default It is worth a reminder as we have many new allroaders here that fixing a leaking air

spring bag is a much, much cheaper fix than replacing a compressor, so don't take these intermittant issues lightly...check it out and replace the bag...or it could be a ride height sensor as well...both much less hassle than the price of a new compressor, but both put great strain on the compressor to "catch up"...a good ar air suspension system, riding at a pretty constant ride height (especially if you have an '01 and can lock the ride height) shouldn't have the compressor running all that often.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the leak you experienced...

is the same leak most will get. It is in the fold- over of one air spring. In this case at level 2 hole opened, as the car lowered, the hole sealed due to the air pring moving its fold-over.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:58 PM

Default Re: It is worth a reminder as we have many new allroaders here that fixing a leaking air

That makes a lot of sense...however why the car keep the maximum altitud for over a week...the problem is in the 2nd and 1st position of the suspension levels...

by the way, do you know any good online supplier for this item?.. Thanks a lot for the info
Old 02-21-2009, 02:06 PM

Default Air springs may leak in some positions and not in others; the leak cn be intermittant.

As far as aftermarket suspension part go, check out: http://www.arnottindustries.com
Old 02-21-2009, 02:45 PM

Default Re: the leak you experienced...

did you fix it or replace the part?
Old 02-21-2009, 02:51 PM

Default It is intermittant because of the folds in the spring fabric that are covering the hole only

at certain heights and not others...you say altitude and I am not sure if you are talking height of the airspring or if you are above sea level where I think you might see some variation due to that as well.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default if you can't afford new arrnot air springs you can do the slime fix

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_AUDI_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid17_pid124_gid466 .html
or the cheaper temporary fix
https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/224367.phtml
Old 02-21-2009, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Leak at certain ride height ...

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/158162.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/158162.phtml</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: 2002 allroad sometimes air suspension works sometimes doesn't