Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2003 MFSW Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops. Obviously, I get a wrong coding table. Thanks for this information.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Okay, I just checked the ETKA, and you will probably have to change your slip-ring...

a/k/a the self canceling ring which is probably 1J0-959-654-<b>AG</b> or 1J0-959-654-<b>AL</b> which was the stock self-canceling ring for the allroad in 2003 with multi-function steering wheel and no tiptronic.

You need 1J0-959-654-<b>M</b> for the tiptronic controls. That is the same one that was used in the C5 platform cars with tiptronic steering wheels.

You really should open up the steering column to confirm the part number. The tip controls will never work with the AG or AL version of the slip ring.

Unfortunately, it is not a cheap part. Retail is in the $450 range, some online parts sources have it listed for just under $400. Contact Carson at Riverside Audi's parts department (cheter@riversideaudi.com) and he can quote you the price 15% over cost for AW members and 5% over cost for ACNA members.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default She has not, but she has ridden in them..."too low" is the comment...

which means she will forever be one of those SUV soccer moms )) That's fine with me, if she's happy, I'mm happy. One less car to sink $$$ into mods, right?

Footnote: However, I've found a few things to do like running boards and a few OEM accessories that did not come with the truck from the factory ))
Old 11-29-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Now I just need you next door on the other side to Ex-Pz and I'd be set:) I also think

I could show your wife some rollover SUV footage that would have her driving an allroad in an instant...driving a major interstate most days here we have seen more than our share lately...not a scare tactic just a physics reality check...that's what made me move a little lower to the ground, but I drive in level 2 almost all the time and don't find it is an issue, even at night...with the fogs on and the xenon's I can even see the road better than in my Suburban....just giving her my 2 cents
Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Thanks for the thoughts, but she loves the Pilot...

...it actually handles fairly well for a pseudo SUV, based on the Odyssey chassis but in SUV body form and AWD. At least she let me pick the tires for replacement. Besides, every now and then we need the 3rd row, and we are not big fans of those rearward facing 3rd row seats.

When the Q7 came out, I broguht one home for her to demo...she hated it! I think she can tolerate the one four-ringer in the driveway, but not a second!!!

It's okay...in the end, I LOVE being able to stack plywood flat in the back between the wheel wells (yes, there is 4' of space there) for those trips to Home Depot! No need to throw those on the roof!!!

Besides...I'll still hang out here even though I don't own one ))
Old 11-29-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Yeah my good friend drives one and she was behind me once on some twisty roads and

I was surprised at how well it handled...I drove one once but the seats were uncomfortable and it road like a truck...by then I was spoiled by the allroad...for those of you city slickers with no trucks I can understand the need for "more power" in an SUV or at least an ar with a tow hitch...you can't blame me for trying the sales pitch though...so trade in that heavily modded big fat sedan for a sleek allroad avant and then you'll be "official"...actually it is just too much fun to give you a hard time
Old 11-30-2007, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Once again, BD...you are incorrect. Allow me to elaborate (as I've had hands on experience here):

BD: a/k/a the self canceling ring which is probably 1J0-959-654-AG or
1J0-959-654-AL which was the stock self-canceling ring for the
allroad in 2003 with multi-function steering wheel and no tiptronic.

You need 1J0-959-654-M for the tiptronic controls. That is the same
one that was used in the C5 platform cars with tiptronic steering wheels.

Ted: This is an "apple's to oranges" comparison.
Apples: Going from a standard wheel (no buttons or anything) to a 3 spoke sport tip/paddle wheel (like the RS6 style). Yes, you need a new SC ring for the tip functions. The M version is one that will work, there are a few others that work with or without ESP.

Oranges: Going from a MFSW (without tip) to a MFSW (with tip) requires a new MFSW module (618 in the C5 platform; I think 619 in the D2) and the upgraded steering wheel. All radio and tip commands are carried over the databus (NOT canbus) from withing the "black box" inside the steering wheel...through the SC ring out to the 618 MFSW module. That same databus is used for just radio and radio/tip commands via the same SC ring. From the 618 module, it communicates directly to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) via a separate databus (not sure which one) for tip UP and tip Down. It's conceivable that someone with a 616 module might not have the wiring to the TCM, which would suck. However, I have personally done this upgrade on a 2003 A6 and a 2004/2005 allroad...and both have worked without any additional wiring from the 618 to the TCM.

You really should open up the steering column to confirm the part number.
The tip controls will never work with the AG or AL version of the slip ring.
Ted: As stated above, I really don't think that is going to make any difference.

Bottom line: I would start with just coding the 618 module first and see if you can get the codes to take....then investigate the wiring from the 618 module.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Sure, I have not tried this in person, but the ETKA says that AG and AL do not support tip

..and I DID say "probably" not definitely, right?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Long standing dispute, not worth discussing anymore...
Old 11-30-2007, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 2003 MFSW Retrofit - do I need TWO 618 controllers?

Guys and Gals,

I just printed the Bentley Eletric Diagram and noticed something that might be the problem.....

In the diagram for 2003MY MF steering wheel No. 22/1 it lists the RELAY location as #7 AND #8 - that is TWO relays.

I only replaced one and never bothered to check if there were two.

So - do I need to order a second 618 module (J453) ??????

This might be the root cause if someone can chime in.

Quick Reply: 2003 MFSW Retrofit