Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2004 Allroad Headlamp quandary!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Allroad Headlamp quandary!

Hi all. This is my very first post, exciting!

This past weekend I removed the passenger headlight assembly this weekend to replace the lovely turn signal bulb. I installed the signal bulb and re-installed the headlight assembly back into the Allroad. Ever since doing this the auto leveling sensors for the Xenon HID low beams doesn't seem to anything. They do not even try to adjust on their own any more. Previously, each time I turned on the headlights at night, they would automatically adjust/level themselves.

The headlights are somehow out of balance and I think I may have to find out how to manually level them back out again. While I am sure there is a way to do it manually, I want the auto levelers working again. Does anyone here know what I may have done to cause the auto levelers to stop functioning properly?

Thank you very much.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have to perform headlight alignment via vag-com.

Edit: it's a pain, but it's possible to change the corner bulb without taking the headlight out. Just remove the intake duct.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=GTA_
Edit: it's a pain, but it's possible to change the corner bulb without taking the headlight out. Just remove the intake duct.[/QUOTE]

He's probably thinking: NOW YOU TELL ME!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Dloney
Hi all. This is my very first post, exciting!

This past weekend I removed the passenger headlight assembly this weekend to replace the lovely turn signal bulb. I installed the signal bulb and re-installed the headlight assembly back into the Allroad. Ever since doing this the auto leveling sensors for the Xenon HID low beams doesn't seem to anything. They do not even try to adjust on their own any more. Previously, each time I turned on the headlights at night, they would automatically adjust/level themselves.

The headlights are somehow out of balance and I think I may have to find out how to manually level them back out again. While I am sure there is a way to do it manually, I want the auto levelers working again. Does anyone here know what I may have done to cause the auto levelers to stop functioning properly?

Thank you very much.
While on headlamps, my 2004 allroad right headlight goes on briefly then shuts and panel shows headlamp failure. Replaced the bulb and it still fails after a few seconds. Any ideas? Short to ground? Or bad HID igniter? If so does anyone know where to get the HID igniter part? AND is it something I should be able to do??? Thanks in advance for suggestions. I am stumped. Glenn 206 251-4563
Old 12-10-2012, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Bad igniter. Buy a used one, new ones are major money.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default New error message, concerned!

Coincidentally the error light that came up on the dashboard was not for the turn signal bulb. According to the manual,'Dynamic Headlight Dimmer control is not functioning properly.' As mentioned, the headlights no longer auto-level themselves but everything else is working perfectly. I do have an airbag light on as well but that has been on for the past 2 years. I plan to disconnect the battery this evening to reset the system if you will and I hope that will clear any incorrect codes etc. If anyone has any advice on the headlight dimmer issue or if I shouldn't disconnect the battery PLEASE let me know.

Thank you all.
David
Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, do not disconnect the battery. Not necessary, and can introduce other issues. Batteries are not meant to be disconnected in these cars, especially not as away to clear codes.

Do you have VAG-COM or just a generic OBD scanner? You need vag-com (aka VCDS), and you should perform headlight adaptation with vag-com. That will fix your headlight auto-leveling unless one of the motors is not working, but in that case you'd see at least one of them auto-level.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the info. Trying to find a VAG-com locally and they are pricey. Maybe I can find someone on Craigslist who will run a diagnostic for me. Dealer is closed this weekend.

On another note, I removed the passenger headlight again and checked the sensors to ensure nothing was bumped or disconnected. Everything seemed fine. I heard of a method of doing a reset on the system by depressing the gas pedal to the floor with the ignition in the II position. This did not change the status of the light.

Anyone aware of any other reset procedures that are safe to perform? Under the gun to get this fixed and sold. Pretty sure this light is on because my wife drove the Allroad without one headlight in the car for multiple days in a row.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

(Not yelling here...just wrote this and realized in the wrong area...too lazy to rewrite at this point...)
I REPLACED my Zenon bulbs recently as they were starting to get duller and duller...in my haste I FORGOT TO FULLY CONNECT PASS SIDE BULB. I TURNED IGNITION ON AND FLIPPED LIGHTS ON AND HEARD A "ZZZZIPPP "KIND OF SOUND. DID IT AGAIN, (NOT KNOWING THAT THE TERMINAL FOR THE CONNECTION WASN'T ATTACHED TO THE BULB)--WONDERED NOW IF IT ARCED AGAINST OR TO SOMETHING GROUNDED. RECONNECTED IT PROPERLY AND TRIED IT AGAIN TO NO AVAIL. THEN I GOT A USED BALLAST AND HOOKED IT UP THINKING I'D FRIED THE ORIGINAL. STILL NOTHING. (I'D ALREADY CHECKED FUSES AND WERE GOOD). WHILE CHECKING IT OUT, THE DRIVERS SIDE HEADLIGHT QUIT WORKING. NO NOISE OR ANYTHING, JUST QUIT. ANY IDEAS?
Old 11-11-2017, 01:42 PM
Banned

necro post . . .
step 1: check fuses