Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2005 allroad idiot Suspension light on

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 allroad idiot Suspension light on

I recently purchased a 2005 allroad 4.2. First off I love this car!!!

It has 102,000 miles I have owned it for 3,000 miles. The previous owner took meticulous care of the car. In July of this year the air bags were replaced.

Today after driving 8 miles I parked the car for 60 min. Upon my return the idiot light for the air suspension was on, and remained on. The self leveling is now inoperable as well.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to what it might be?

All help is greatly appreciated!! I need to get up and running soon as this is my daily driver. Do any of you think there could be harm by continued driving until the car is repaired? It is in the #2 level and remains I the proper level.

Thank You,
Bret
Old 09-15-2012, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bretgoss
I recently purchased a 2005 allroad 4.2. First off I love this car!!!

It has 102,000 miles I have owned it for 3,000 miles. The previous owner took meticulous care of the car. In July of this year the air bags were replaced.

Today after driving 8 miles I parked the car for 60 min. Upon my return the idiot light for the air suspension was on, and remained on. The self leveling is now inoperable as well.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to what it might be?

All help is greatly appreciated!! I need to get up and running soon as this is my daily driver. Do any of you think there could be harm by continued driving until the car is repaired? It is in the #2 level and remains I the proper level.

Thank You,
Bret
Welcome to AudiWorld Bret,
Do you have a Vag Com (Or know someone near you who could scan your AR)in order to pull the codes to see what it could be? especially if the bags were recently replaced.
Can you hear the compressor? can you take a picture of either the buttons/dash? is it in manual mode? or in jack mode? possibly?
Old 09-15-2012, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by awdjunkies
Welcome to AudiWorld Bret,
Do you have a Vag Com (Or know someone near you who could scan your AR)in order to pull the codes to see what it could be? especially if the bags were recently replaced.
Can you hear the compressor? can you take a picture of either the buttons/dash? is it in manual mode? or in jack mode? possibly?
I have attached pictures of the instrument cluster. It seems to sit high!

I cannot hear the compressor at all. Could it be a fuse? (do you know the number)

I have looked at vag com cables. They seem to be going for $100-180. If these cars are prone to as many mechanical issues as they I read it may be a good investment. Do you know if the 05 4.2 requires a can bus variation?

Do you think it is safe to drive as is? I can get it to a shop Monday but its 45 miles away.

Thanks, good to be a part of the forum!
Attached Images    
Old 09-15-2012, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

According to Ross-Tech, they classify 2005+ as a C6 but even though the allroad's last year here on U.S. Soil was 2005, I believe it is still classified as a C5. Therefor, I believe this is the guy you need to purchase: http://ross-tech.com/vag-com/hex-usb+can.html

source: http://ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/ap...ons/100a6.html

PS: Have you tried putting it on service mode or even manual mode(service mode, you have to hold both the up and down buttons for about 3-5 seconds, and manual mode, you have to hold one or the other for the same amount of time)to see if anything changes? taking it out of service or manual mode is the same thing, holding the buttons down as listed^ .

Last edited by awdjunkies; 09-15-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I tried both. None worked. Looks like a trip tomorrow! Think it's ok to drive? I've only had this such a short time. It appears to be high righ. Now but only lights up on level 2. It's about 10" off the ground as is.

Ive got a 40 mile 1 way drive to the shop.

Thanks,
Bret
Old 09-16-2012, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

On a suspension issue I wouldn't want to chance it and have it bottom out in the middle of my commute. I am not saying this to scare you or that it is going to do this but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Do you have "towing" on your auto-insurance policy or a way to get it towed safely? Have you driven it around the block since the light appeared?

PS: Also, Check to see if there is anything on here: allroadfaq.com to try and either rectify before making the commute or to troubleshoot the problem.

Last edited by awdjunkies; 09-16-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I drove it about 10 miles yesterday. It stayed up. Looking at past forum post I'm hopeing it may be a fuse of relay. I don't hear the compressor come on at all at this time. It is still inflated. It sits level and the front bags are new.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am guessing raising or lowering doesn't work... You should scan the car for codes. Needs to be VAG-COM scanner or else at the dealer.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fine to drive

Originally Posted by bretgoss
I tried both. None worked. Looks like a trip tomorrow! Think it's ok to drive? I've only had this such a short time. It appears to be high righ. Now but only lights up on level 2. It's about 10" off the ground as is.

Ive got a 40 mile 1 way drive to the shop.

Thanks,
Bret
If its staying at that level its fine to drive to the shop - I just drove for a week with NO air in the system and the car against the bump stops waiting for a new compressor. Put it in last night - no problems or damage.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is your battery voltage? A drained battery will spring all kinds of funky electrical gremlins on you. All the mayhem starts when the bettery needle is on the 12v zone(50% discharged).