Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2013 allroad steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s4fanclub
Two month old A6 with 1200 miles and steering just started acting strange. Over 20 MPH gets nothchy / gear type feel each side of top dead center. Feels strange. Have had a series of audis, A6, S4 and a few a4s. never anything like this. Driver mode steeings don't seem to do anything. Anyone else experiencing this?
To the dealer I guess.
Yep... that's mine too. I guess we can add the A6 to the group.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default notchy steering

Originally Posted by TREGinginCO
Yep... that's mine too. I guess we can add the A6 to the group.
upped the tire reassure to 39 psi, adjusted tilt angle of steering wheel and everything seems normal. drove 250 miles today from city driving to 80 mph highway driving, rain and snow and no problems whatsoever. go figure ??
Old 12-19-2012, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've played with tire pressures up to 40, down to 30. 39 is definitely not what Audi recommends and is bad for tire wear.
Much like extreme wet conditions, higher tire pressures reduce resistance, etc, but I still feel the notchiness. Especially if it is cold outside, but even with my car garaged (~50 degrees) the steering feels sloppy in the morning - regardless of speed. However, once warmed up the notchiness only exists above ~20mph.
NEVER had a problem like this with any vehicle, hydraulic or electically assisted steering.

I went to the dealership on Monday to drive with a tech and also address a brake grinding issue that started immediately after my 5k service at University Audi. As I was describing the steering issue a mechanic overheard my explaination and stated he had felt it in other A4's and allroads - exactly as how I described. He said it was a quirk of the electric steering and no known correction has been given yet.
I continued to explain that it often times gets severly notchy and is unbecoming of the four-ring brand. The steering also feels all-around considerably heavier than the standard A4 loaner I drove and other allroads I test drove before ordering my allroad.
They also didn't fix my brake issue, probably because it was raining so hard you cant hear much else inside the cabin. I did not go on the drive with the tech as I had requested in order to point out either behavior. The tech did awknowledge the notchy feel existed and I ensured it was on the report.

After getting home I called AOA, stated my complaint and that my dealership was clueless as to what to do.
Audi assured contacts would be made with the dealership and area representatives and I would be called back by today. No call back yet. I'll call them first thing in the morning tomorrow.

I don't understand why the dealerships or mechanics just start trying to troubleshooting these problems by trying to swap parts, etc...

I really feel like it is a premature failure of the servo motor windings or binding of the servo mechanism. My electrical engineering and servo-mechanical background kick into gear trying to hypothesise the failure that is occuring, between the software and hardware relationship (software does not fail or degrade and since I took delivery of a perfect car, it must be hardware degradation and failure).

Im getting to the point where I am scared to drive this car - that is how pronounced the notichiness is and how it influences the direction of the vehicle travel as I cannot position my steering in those "detent" positions. Especially when road conditions get worse.

Also, my other concern is this is so bad I cannot re-sell this car! No one would accept this! I hate saying this, but I'm not afraid to lawyer up.

Last edited by spl1011; 12-19-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I hope Audi steps up... because it would be a shame to have to lawyer up. The notchiness in my steering is so sporadic I can't event tell you what makes it get better or worse.

I wish you luck.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

TODAY'S REPORT: Colder and problem returned. Does not make sense for an electrical/software issue. It's my wife's car and I'm getting reluctant to let her drive it. Figured I would wait for the 5K service and see where things stand. I relate to the brake grinding issue with he A4. I just traded our 2010 A4 Avant for that reason. The noise was an embarrassment in parking lots. Guess I should have gone for the BMW after all.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got a call back from AOA. They said that since the tech wrote that the steering "was per design" (something they write when they dismiss all squawks) even though he did write that he did feel the notchiness per my original complaint, that AoA WILL DO NOTHING!!! If it continues, take it to the dealership.
I told the representative that if this was the design 5k miles ago I would have NEVER taken delivery of the car - the steering was perfect and has been degrading.

So I'll keep going back to the dealer and hopefully I can go on a day its acting up badly and I can spare the time. Drive a normal a4/allroad and my car back to back.

I dispise the "guilty until proven innocent" attitude toward customer service - or "No problem until you can prove a quality problem". I have to prove it to an audi mechanic so that he can say its not per design? This is awful!

We all need to raise a stink about this. Call Audi and complain.

After the new year I plan on writing a letter to the AOA president and a letter to JD Power, sending Audi a copy as well.
And then call some lawyer friends...
Old 12-20-2012, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A4 Steering Issue

I have a 2013 A4 with 700 miles...that has become a hazard to drive with the steering problem you have all described. The off center feel is so notchy the control on the highway is frightening.

I brought it to the dealer today, and the service tech called me to say it was unsafe to drive. They gave me an identical A4 with 300 miles as a loaner...this one has not had the same steering problem.

If this is a common occurrence, then we all need to complain to the NTSB.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Time to trade for the Hyundai of your dreams lol.

This has capacity of turning out to be a big mess for Audi. For me just as important the vehicle brand is also how they company treats me (especially when repairs are required, warranty work, etc

After the many negative issues from customers (regarding the 1st gen allroad) you'd think Audi would be taking a very different approach today considering they've removed one the biggest trouble areas of the vehicle (air suspension).

But no, they do nothing and know nothing (same as gen 1).

While I do think the new gen allroad is an improvement in certain areas, I wasn't convinced it was enough; no new audis for me. I'll continue to buy them 2nd hand after 3 - 4 years of ownership and everything that could go wrong has and been repaired / replaced and theyre priced 1/2 off from new.

I wish anyone here who's experiencing such problems a quick and fair resolution from AoA.
I got sick of them offering me nothing (loyalties a two way street).
Old 12-21-2012, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Problem solved?

Spoke with my dealer's service manager today. They are replacing the steering rack. They say it is defective, and that will cure the problem. They have assured me they will not give it back until it is perfect. Of course, the car has but 700 miles on it, and we have a decent lemon law in Massachusetts.

So far my dealer, Ira Audi in Danvers MA, has been great. And since they have given me essentially the same car as a loaner, I'm not all that irate about it. However, I've owned many cars over the years...mostly Toyotas...and I never have had a car delivered with a catastrophic flaw like this.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yesterday I drove my parents to vancouver and back and was literally scared to death at certain points as I couldnt keep the car straight down certain points of I-5. The notchiness held my steering and was difficult and unpredictable to overcome in order to get back onto center. By the time I could overcome and correct it I was crossing the other lane, luckily I stayed staggard to the car in the other lane and no one was there. It would frequently get so stiff I had to use both hands and a significant amount of effort to make small corrections and not let it go over the notch and over correct and send me into the other lane - I had to be supper attentive. My parents were with me in the car and were rather concerned.

This has gotten to the point of being UNSAFE!!!!

Given the holidays this week I dont know how much service response I will get.

I'm staying off the highways for now.

Last edited by spl1011; 12-21-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 allroad steering issues