Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2014 BMW Hatchback vs. 2013 Audi Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2014 BMW Hatchback vs. 2013 Audi Allroad

Been looking at possible replacements for my A6 Avant. As commonly stated, the new Allroad only has a 4-cylinder engine, backseat area is smaller than my A6 Avant, and trunkspace is also smaller.

I just read about the 2014 BMW Hatchback which has the 335 version with V6 engine and turbocharged. And if you read the reviews, the BMW 3 Hatchback has a bigger trunk space than the BMW 3 series wagon, and also a bigger back seat space. Interesting.

Personally, I thought the 5 series Grand Turismo is ugly. But the 3 series does look much better, has a more powerful engine than the allroad, and bigger cargo space and better legroom in the back. What do you think about it ? (read review below)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...k/viewall.html
Old 02-09-2013, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know such a vehicle was being made by BMW, so guessing its new for 2014. It looks similar to the 5 series GT version; but looks a tad better and is nearly same size. I'd take the turbo V6 with 300hp, or 'M' version only, because I dislike slow, under powered vehicles but also because the higher powered version will be more rare (most people buy base model cars IMHO). On my short list as a replacement for my allroad is the BMW X6 w/V8 engine, though if my wife saw this new 3 series GT she'd find it more desirable (since it sits lower and is more closely related to a wagon vs. cross over).

I saw go for it; looks nice, has great engine options, and roomier than NEW allroad. . What more could you want? Oh, right all wheel drive lol.

Last edited by Sgt G; 02-09-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, it's a 2014 model, and expected to hit the dealer's showroom around Sept-Nov 2013 (usually the next year's model come around year end). I hope it's priced out to compete with the allroad at around $45K.

But with the 335 model, could easily hit $50K-$55K with some options, but still cheaper than the Audi A7 liftback at around $68K-$75K.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Right, I like the looks of the A7 also but I don't like it as much for $75k; maybe $60k. These car prices are getting outta hand. But I'd buy the 'M' version of the the 3 series GT for $50-55k over the A7 (mildly equipped) at $70k. Owning the 'M' edition of any BMW is simply more desirable to me. Right now I'm driving the CTS-V sedan, though my heart was really set on the wagon version of same car. I want the most for my money and my limit was $50k, all the wagons were closer to $60k (slightly used, 1.5 years old, with bout 15k miles), with new ones a bit over $70k. I just can't go there.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The looks of the car apparently have a very polarizing effect. This from TheTruthAboutCars

Despite being unable to eat, talk or sleep more than a few hours at a time, I have found something more agonizing than an adult tonsillectomy the BMW 3-Series GT. Because we all know what a critical and commercial success the BMW 5-Series GT has been. At least Percocet can numb the pain of having sections of my throat burnt away by a cauterizing wand. Whoever buys this thing is doomed twice over by poor eyesight and awful judgement.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Best to see it in person to make a judgement.
BWW was bold enough to bring the 3 series GT after the failure of the 5 series GT to bring in much sales. The 3 series need to look 500% better

Originally Posted by mendelo
The looks of the car apparently have a very polarizing effect. This from TheTruthAboutCars
Old 02-11-2013, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default perhaps a push...?

If the GT 3-series does well I would imagine Audi may consider bringing the A5 sportback to the states. But by 2015 the B8/B8.5 platform should be refreshed.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ayap
Been looking at possible replacements for my A6 Avant. As commonly stated, the new Allroad only has a 4-cylinder engine, backseat area is smaller than my A6 Avant, and trunkspace is also smaller.

I just read about the 2014 BMW Hatchback which has the 335 version with V6 engine and turbocharged. And if you read the reviews, the BMW 3 Hatchback has a bigger trunk space than the BMW 3 series wagon, and also a bigger back seat space. Interesting.

Personally, I thought the 5 series Grand Turismo is ugly. But the 3 series does look much better, has a more powerful engine than the allroad, and bigger cargo space and better legroom in the back. What do you think about it ? (read review below)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...k/viewall.html
Are you sure that only 4-cylinder engines available? Do know about A6 Allroad?
I'd ask, because Europe spec is V6 only - 3.0 TDI 245hp/313hp and 3.0 TFSI 300hp.
I know in Europe R4 engine only for A4 Allroad.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Romario
Are you sure that only 4-cylinder engines available? Do know about A6 Allroad?
I'd ask, because Europe spec is V6 only - 3.0 TDI 245hp/313hp and 3.0 TFSI 300hp.
I know in Europe R4 engine only for A4 Allroad.
In North America, we only have the A4-based Allroad. The only A6 Allroad we had was the C5 from 2001 to 2005. Audi stopped importing A6 Allroads.

Also, all A4 and Allroad models ever sold in North America came with gasoline engines only. The new A4 Allroad comes with turbo 2.0 liter engine only.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the first I have seen it, but I like that 3 series GT a lot. I would like to see it in person though. And it is available with M sport pack and twin turbo 6 cylinder. Only auto trans though; a manual option or SMG or whatever would be nice.

I noticed BMW also no longer seems to offer wagon versions of any series in the US, so apparently these GT cars are replacing them.

Quick Reply: 2014 BMW Hatchback vs. 2013 Audi Allroad