Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

3rd alignment in four months...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd alignment in four months...

And I've had 4 new tires, new rotors and break pads in the back, a constant rubbing sound resonating from the front, right side of the car and a front end vibration between 50 - 65 MPH that the dealer can't seem to fix. Meanwhile, I'm able to observe noticeable wear on my tires, which only have 6k miles on them and the front calipers are completely rusted. I love this car, but at the same time, it has been a nightmare to have. Each time I take it to the dealer, I'm hassled about the symptoms and diagnoses. And just to further aggravate me, the last time I had the car serviced, a $64 charge for the "free" rental/loaner car showed up on my credit card statement. I'm frustrated and considering pursuing the lemon law at this point. I would appreciate any feedback, advice, and/or thoughts you all have. Thanks! 2003 2.7T Allroad - 11K miles
Old 08-05-2003, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default when you got the car aligned.....did they say it was out or were they just trying stuff?......

brakes are a weak link and many have solved vibration and tire issues by going with different rubber. are you still on stock tires?
Old 08-05-2003, 05:36 PM

Default Re: 3rd alignment in four months...

I have 11k on my '03. Have had vibration since 5-6k maybe earlier. Dealer claimed alignment issues (twice). Alignment didn't fix. Stock goodyears are now too unevenly worn to tell which came first. Dealer tells me only new 4 tires will fix it. I'm skeptical. Sounds like I should be.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What suspension level do you drive at? I think the factory spec...

is to align at L1. So id you spend most of your time on L2, that will cause some uneven wear since the alignmant settings change at each of the levels.

Might want to have them align at the same level you drive at.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sounds like front wheel bearing might be bad...

"constant rubbing sound" could be the bad bearings making noise. this could easily affect tire wear.

This should be easy for the dealer to diagnose, but I have little faith in them.

Does the noise change when turning one way or the other?

Do a search here for wheel bearings. Some have had to replace on relatively new cars. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Sounds like front wheel bearing might be bad...

Yes, the rubbing sound is *always* worse when turning to the right. I'll do some research, thanks!
Old 08-06-2003, 06:16 AM

Default Re: What suspension level do you drive at? I think the factory spec...

I always drive at L1, unless I have a reason not to, but I can see what you mean. The tires I have now are my second set and have only 7K on them, and they look noticeably worn.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:19 AM

Default Re: when you got the car aligned.....did they say it was out or were they just trying stuff?......

Yes, for each alignment, the dealer confirmed that the car was out of align. I'm still on stock tires, and really don't want to spend the money for new ones unless I have to. (We've just ordered a new S4 and are waiting for that.) And you're right, these are the worst brakes I've ever had on any car.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:07 AM

Default I'd try a different dealer; 3 alignments in 4 months is ludicrous...

Seems your dealer's service department sucks. Few dealers know how and/or have proper equipment to do a correct 4-wheel alignment. It sounds like there may be some damage somewhere, perhaps from hitting a curb. Regardless, a competant shop should be able to diagnose the damage and repair it. Your brakes are unrelated to the tire wear and alignment, BTW.

I'd find a different shop.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yup, sounding more like a bad bearing.

this should not happen on a car this new, but there were a least a couple of others here that had one fail.

If you want to jack the front, left wheel off the ground and check the "play" in the side to side movement of the wheel you could confirm this yourself. There should be no play and the wheel should rotate smoothly.

I would specifically ask them to check the wheel bearings. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 3rd alignment in four months...