Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

With the 4.2 coming, we'll have to start labeling the allroad like the other Audi models.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With the 4.2 coming, we'll have to start labeling the allroad like the other Audi models.

i.e. "I have an allroad 2.7T or allroad 4.2" like I used to do with my A4 2.8.

Not just "allroad" anymore.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default End of the S6 Avant?

My dealer told me that 03 will be the last year for the S6 avant. There will be, he thinks, an S4 avant, no "planned" RS6 avant (US) and the continuation of the A6 4.2 and now with the allroad 4.2, "no need" for a very unpopular (although spectacular car) S6 avant. Yea, unpopular like the allroad is unpopular -- "un"marketed is more like it.

Anyway -- for at least a couple more months, the S6's that are "here or on the boat" will be heavily heavily discounted (even more than last year). If you don't need the "off road" capabilities of the allroad and your dealer has an S6 for you to test drive -- do yourself a favor.

This (the S6 avant) is a blast to drive, and I cannot imagine that the allroad 4.2 will even come close (but because of the discounts, they will for a month or three be close in price).

Well, at least I can lust from afar, can't I?
Old 07-16-2003, 12:44 PM

But not close to the 2.7T price. Correct? The 4.2 would be out of my range anyway.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The 4.2, IMHO, ups the luxury content and lowers the performance content when. . .

compared with the 2.7T with the 6spd.

Now, if audi would only offer the 4.2 with a 6spd manual . . . now that would probably be a screamer!

If pricing follows Audi norms, 4.2 will be about $5K more ("comparable").
Old 07-16-2003, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Asside from a power adjusting steering column... the 4.2 will be no more luxurious than the 2.7t.

But given that the majority of allroads sold are tiptronics, the 4.2 will definately up the performance for most - could they afford it.

The ar 2.7t's achilies heel was always it's price - as hinted at by many reviewers - so I don't expect the 4.2 to be a giant seller for Audi. I know, we love the cars, but the population at large would rather have more snob appeal, or spend less money. I think the S6 is a brilliant road vehicle, but many don't think Audi deserves to demand that much money, and certainly not for a wagon.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If they come to the mid 40's I'll swap in an instant!
Old 07-16-2003, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The allroad 4.2, you are correct adds the power adjusted steering column &. . .

auto trans 18" wheels/tires and makes some things "available" that the 2.7T can't have.

The dealer told me that you can outfit the 2.7T to be virtually identical to the 4.2 (wheels and power steering column and full paint option notwithstanding). He also said he thought the list of standard equipment was somewhat higher than the standard 2.7T.

In no way, other than as noted, am I suggesting that the 2.7T cannot be virtually as "decked out" as the 4.2.

I have every option and added full-paint and mine came in just north of $50K. I then added the Pilot sport A/S's on the factory wheel 245 x 50 -- and the PSK rear anti-sway bar.

I suspect that such a beast with the 4.2 would be (factoring in that I did not pay for Tip transmission) about $55K+ -- aside from the stick shift, I suspect most people could walk around mine and the 4.2, sit in them both and, assuming they never put the key in, would be hard pressed to tell them apart.

I did not mean that the 4.2 would be way off the scale more lux oriented, sorry for the confusion.

And, talk about pricey -- I went to the dealer and examined an $86,900+ RS6 -- it didn't have On*star, sat nav, built in phone or optional tires/wheels. But, it DID have a $950 (?) exhaust sound package and a couple of other minor things that added to the price.

My dealer has 7 RS6's, the other Audi dealer on the other side of Cincinnati is asking MSRP + $15K. A couple of years from now, with some very steep depreciation -- well, I wouldn't pay over sticker.

My dealer just sells them at list and feels that the customers will not feel they are attempting to make customers bid against each other.

Of course, with 7 RS6's (all presold) and another on the way (also presold), they are hardly going to make a fortune. They live and die on A4's and to a lesser extent A6's -- the A8's and allroads and the other Audi's don't qualify as bread and butter.

Since the RS6 was presold, no test drive allowed -- hard for me to imagine almost $40K more for the RS6 over my fully optioned 03 allroad.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You must be dreaming. . .but how about $55K?!? Mighty close to a 4.2 allroad with more performance!
Old 07-16-2003, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default For a 2 year old model, hahahahahahaha for an 02.

Even an 03 should be invoiced if not less. They need to make room for the RS6, the S6 has been discontinued, it's worth more to them to get it off the lot, then hold it for 6-12 months and not sell it (ya people do have 02's with 600 test drive miles on them, sitting in the lot!)..

It's a great car, but it's not worth $20K more then a 02 allroad (priced at around $35-$38K right now).
Old 07-16-2003, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I will add that I feel around $10K added to my current 02 allroad is more then fair

for the dealer to get into an S6. They will make a few grand off the allroad as it is, so that makes it like $13K or so. But more then $10K even at $10K we can build a better allroad then the S6 is.

Quick Reply: With the 4.2 coming, we'll have to start labeling the allroad like the other Audi models.