Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

4 month old Arnott airbag suffers explosive decompression

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If mine go out after warranty I will definately buy Arnott. Within Warranty I'm still up in the air. But it's good to see a post from a company responding to a warranty/failure issue so quickly.

kudos to Arnott.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa. Ordered my pair of fronts on Wednesday of last week. What if this catastrophic failure happened as the car is travelling down the freeway at 80mph?

I also find it honorable that Arnott responded on the 4th....but I'm very curious as to the possible causes of this failure.

Was it hot outside which contributed to high pressure? Yeah, it was obviously defective, but how common is this? What are the QA processes after each spring is manufactured?

I must say, just getting ready to install these this week has me concerned.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanAllroad
Perception via anonymous posts can be damaging. Quite responsible of Kinstle to include photos with his post.
I've been an active member of this community since 1999, so I'm not going to BS folks. But yea, I love taking pictures of things since I'm not so hot at describing things. Sounds like Adam Arnott knew exactly what went wrong from the pictures too. My only goal was speedy resolution so I can get home, so I'm going to be as helpful and informative as possible.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Originally Posted by bjwhite
Whoa. Ordered my pair of fronts on Wednesday of last week. What if this catastrophic failure happened as the car is travelling down the freeway at 80mph?

Was it hot outside which contributed to high pressure?
It was 110F outside, Mojave Desert. I'm sure the air bag gets MUCH hotter during operation though. I did get a warning light while driving down here when I changed from the freeway to a local road and the car tried to go to level 2. I locked the car at level 1 and it was fine for a few days. I manually set the car to level 2 a few days later and drove it around town OK. The failure happened a few hours after that.

But yea, failure during driving like this could be bad if you were in a canyon. I think on the open road, it would be no worse than a tire blowout. Normally the airbags just slowly leak out with no sudden changes.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

the fact is, any product can fail at any time, I'm sure the point of Bobby's posting wasn't to bury you, but rather, to inform.

I'm sure the community as a whole appreciates you taking the time to come and say Hi, and show that you back up your very fine products!

Know that I've been shopping for an allroad, with Arnott in the back of my head as a likely stop on my journey!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I think we all know you weren't here to start a flame war, merely to inform, and it's appreciated. Glad to hear it's all working out in a positive way.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arnott explained the cause of the failure in his post.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bobby, it seems you ar nott a bad guy after all!
Old 07-07-2009, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

The parts arrived fully assembled this morning and the shop is putting them in. We are just sitting around under the A/C anxiously awaiting his call!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Adam sent the parts next day air to my mechanic and he got them installed that day. Everything seemed fine and we death drove home safely. I think I need to recalibrate the level though. Anybody know where I can find a really flat level surface around San Jose?

Thanks Adam!

Quick Reply: 4 month old Arnott airbag suffers explosive decompression