Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

4 month old Arnott airbag suffers explosive decompression

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using them for the last 6 month/8k. mainly Level 2. Solid ride on NJ/NY highways. Can't compare to OEM as they were shut when I got the car but previous owner had the front airbags already replace after 30k, I replaced them at 60k. I was very impressed of the build quality compared to OEM. We will see about longevity.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default My new airbag

Originally Posted by Mattq331
Far from putting me off this alternative to the OEM, I'm more sure than ever that Arnott is the way to go when replacing the air spring.
Since that email, I have ordered and had installed a front-left Arnott Gen. 1 airbag. So far, the ride is great, and I'm a very happy camper.

Big thumbs up for Arnott, their product, their life-time guarantee, and their comments and action in this thread!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3000 miles on my fronts.. handle is better ride is better, no worries.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Arnott Gen 1 airsprings

I had a new arnott gen 1 airspring fail within 1 month of installation. Major leak around the crimp collar. Arnott shipped out a new one, but I had to pay for expedited shipping. Arnott cost of standard shipping. They said they improved the crimp collar on the replacement. Both front airbags are now Arnott Gen 1s
Old 09-12-2009, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts
Default my impressions

Since upgrading to the Arnott air bags in the front, I would say that the car rides a tad firmer than the Audi air bags. It's not a rough ride, but it feels more responsive. The only downside is that bumps sound louder than with the factory air bags. This is annoying on bumpy roads.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So, the day I'm about to install my new front Arnott airsprings, I get onto audiworld and see all these posts...

Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between generation 1 and gen. 2 airbags? I bought mine in May this year (it's been a busy summer and haven't had time to put them in until now) and the part number is 01AA-F. I really wanted to put them in today but don't want to install if there's a chance of something failing. Would rather wait for the replacement part if it needs to be retrofitted.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2009, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't worry about the fail. You still have a lifetime warranty behind you.
Its not likely. just make sure all bolts are double tight before you install the springs.

The difference on the gen 2 is an outer metal sleeve and I was told the inside of the spring is chambered.. to increase stiffness at Level 1.

you also have to keep in mind any change in shocks that go with your set up.
If you do gen 1 with stock..worn shocks. your ride may be virtually the same.

If yo have new shocks...expect better.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Just ordered a set of Gen 2 front/back

Thanks for all the comments and feedback on the springs. I just ordered a set of front/back Gen 2 and scheduled the shop to put them in later this week. Will see how they work. I will keep you posted. Thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've had mine on for over a year now. I don't notice a difference.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This thread has intrigued me since I am about ready to pull the trigger on some Arnott Gen2's.

What is the pressure that these air bags are supposed to operate under? Is there a maximum relief valve that can prevent damage? I cannot imagine that a steady state condition would blow a bag, but driving over a bump would not, especially if they are almost new. I would expect failure to occur when the bag reached Max PSI.

Quick Reply: 4 month old Arnott airbag suffers explosive decompression