Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

402 Mod Help please! Control Position Not Learned..?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, 31564 is only the login code to access the adaption function.

Is there any way to get in touch over the phone? Let's say some time Saturday and I walk with you through the entire setting. Or how far away are you from Central NJ?

BTW, did you capture the height settings for Level 2?
You'll need to start from the scratch so matters wont get worse. Either in Jack mode or get the car into level4 (highest) before you change to channel 1 with the VAG for self level adaption.

Get the Level 2 ride height with a ruler and take it down in writing.

Let's talk or instant message if possible while you are on the car. Shoot me an email if you want.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:22 PM

Default If he really has a faulty Sensor then it wont go through the routine.

Been there, done that... a real pain in the butt.
If matters get worse then he may have to run around with Volt/Ohm meter on each of the sensors and measure resistance.
It took me almost a day ;-)
But after the sensor was replaced the VAG went right through.
And that is my greatest fear that he actually has one of those, we'll see.

But you are absolutely right, it has to go through complete, but how often can you try before something else has to be tried out....
Old 04-22-2005, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, he was - repeatedly - he had a bad sensor that would crash at wheel 3.

It would crash there both with various vag-coms, and my pro-diag.

His car was under warranty and he took it into stammler and let them know that the cars suspension was locked out and let them take it from there.

(Jon - let me know if I got that wrong)
Old 04-22-2005, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for your information. My experience was that the level control module is a "difficult"

control module for VAG-COM. It's more easy to lose connection than other control modules when VAG-ing.
Just my experience...
Old 04-22-2005, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Andrew, you are correct. Can't find offical paperwork, must have gone when I sold the car

I took it in, said that the car had a suspension warning light, and they took it from there. I did not metion anything about 402, as that will void your warranty. They first tried to "reflash" the module, and that worked for a few months, then it repeated the same problem. With multiple re-sets by the dealer, my car kept getting lower and lower....WAY low, and unstable on the highway. So, Andrew, (gragravar) tried to help me adjust back up to stock ride height, and it locked up again, no adjustment possible. that was with his Pro-diag. Then I had my best friend Mike run his Vag-Com, originally used for 402, and it also locked at channel 3. The dealer first claimed that the problem was a sensor, but in fact, not finding the control position has to do with the programming. On the 4th, maybe the 5th, can't remember, trip there, I finally got really fed up, and after the 3rd visit, they are supposed to lemon the car...well, I said, "JUST REPLACE THE MODULE", and they did. I was at 49K miles when they did. Took them 2 days to get it done and the car set at the right height. They wanted to blame my 18" rims, my sways, my brakes, etc....but I fought with them, and won.

Through the process of them re-flashing my suspension module, they burned out the ABS and ESP as well, so that all got fixed when they put in the new module and re-set the cars control position height. No problems after that, but I also never tried to 402 again, and sold the car in February.

If I had to do it again, I would NEVER have touched it...and just done sways again....slammed looks cool, but overall, not a big deal, sways and 18" rims with good tires were more than enough to improve the handling.

just my thoughts on the matter. Audi is a complicated car, sometimes best left well enough alone.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:22 AM

Good observation and so true.....let's hope we can get pyite20v out of this desaster.