Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

402 mod - spring stiffness - compensation

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 402 mod - spring stiffness - compensation

I have applied the 402 mod to my car and lowered it. Love the look (also pushed wheels out by 20mm on all 4 corner; great stance).

But....

the way I understand the air springs is that lowering means lower air pressure in the bags. That effectively make the spring softer, which is counterproductive to the lower.

The above seems to be confirmed by my butt sensor. In the lowered setting, the car seems a bit loose and floaty.

Is there a way to firm up the air spring if in the lowered setting?

Adding a small helper spring that only engages in lowered setting?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtraudt
I have applied the 402 mod to my car and lowered it. Love the look (also pushed wheels out by 20mm on all 4 corner; great stance).

But....

the way I understand the air springs is that lowering means lower air pressure in the bags. That effectively make the spring softer, which is counterproductive to the lower.

The above seems to be confirmed by my butt sensor. In the lowered setting, the car seems a bit loose and floaty.

Is there a way to firm up the air spring if in the lowered setting?

Adding a small helper spring that only engages in lowered setting?
I don't think that's doable the way you describe it. Replacing the shock with a stiffer one would probably do the trick though, think bilstein from Arnott.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Isn't that what the sleeves on the GenII's are all about? Keeping the bag from expanding out under load.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe AWE DTS here:
http://www.awe-tuning.com/products/a...tsallroad.html

HKS Sway Bars

And as listed previously, GenII from Arnott

Or Coilovers to fix all every rolling problem...
Old 07-04-2011, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by thejulex
I don't think that's doable the way you describe it. Replacing the shock with a stiffer one would probably do the trick though, think bilstein from Arnott.
Shocks dampen. But even if they act as springs, it would still mean that the higher the ride the harder the spring.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

there is a real easy way to solve this with vcds and wire snips.....

the higher you can get your accumlator pressure, the more stiffness your going to get. the suspension is always adjusting. for a example, on a hard break the suspension tweaks itself and applys more pressure to the front springs. so if you raise the accum pressure, everything going up is much faster/stiffer. going down faster is a simple delete on the air pump assy muffler.

im going to try and make a plug and play simple manual control switch on the dash.or find the magical recode, so far i have found a few ways to recode the level control modual. im doing it 1 buy one and im going to right down what each recode does.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Is accumulator pressure independent from air pressure in the springs?
The stiffness of the spring is directly related to the pressure.
So ideally, I want very high pressure in the spring at lowest setting (stiffest suspension when lowest).

I assume that airbag pressure is higher with raising suspension.

Anyway. Anyone who can figure out a way to stiffen the air springs in low settings, please please please: prepare a DIY.

Probably some good information in this PDF (not sure where I got it from, may google with the title):

Allroad Air Suspension Doc SSP_242.pdf

for example here:

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_242.pdf
Old 07-04-2011, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

great link. so, ya you can play around at your own risk recoding the moduals first two digets from 13 and 29. 13 is more like manual mode, and 29 is like quick smooth. i wish i new what the first two digets mean..

also to mention on changing the first two digits seems likethe lower you go the "lighter" vehical, and the higher the number the stiffer heavier it seems...
Old 07-05-2011, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by choptt
great link. so, ya you can play around at your own risk recoding the moduals first two digets from 13 and 29. 13 is more like manual mode, and 29 is like quick smooth. i wish i new what the first two digets mean..

also to mention on changing the first two digits seems likethe lower you go the "lighter" vehical, and the higher the number the stiffer heavier it seems...
Where did you get the coding info from?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

by just punching in random codes, so far ive got from 19300 to 29500 the first three digits can be changed, what they do? im testing each one out for myself.
by the end of the day i should have a very good clue.

ive been moding and recoding for so long that i just know how to search the net. vag com used to have all of their lable files avaible to review, so i went through them all, im mean ,all of them. wrote down the login codes and got a general idea of pretty much every system. it was a hobby to find the magic vag engine login code, so far it seems to be 45678..

i also snipped the temp sensor for the pump/accum and im messing around with that to give some extra pressure via rheostat/diode---vcds...

Quick Reply: 402 mod - spring stiffness - compensation