Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

45 MPH Wobble - my dealers explanation

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 07:01 AM
EPJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You have a 6-speed, right?

This does not sound like the typical 45 mph wobble seen with Tips. Having lived in Montreal in the past, I would give their explanation some credence, with the crud that builds up on Winter roads there.

BTW, how many allroads in Mtl? By appearances, 50 percent of the 5000 allroads/yr sold in the USA end up here in Boston!
Old 03-07-2002, 08:47 PM

Default It's possible that the dealer is right. I think yours would be the first 6sp with the wobble

reported here. I would suggest that you check the wheels for dirt, ice and snow regularly. With luck, your dealer is right and the problem will be solved.

It was my understanding that the wobble is related to the Transmission Control Modual (TCM) which I thought was only in the automatic transmissions. So there might be other things causing your wobble.

If the wheels are clean and the wobble is still there, the next thing to check is the alignment and wheel balance. Which they already did for you, so I'm guessing they aren't just trying to blow you off. So, now if the wobble is still there you need to get more serious with the dealer. Call your dealer and tell them that you want to have the Audi Field Representative get involved. Call Audi Client Relations and tell them that you have an unresolved repair issue and that you need to have the Field Representative contact your dealer about resolving the issue. The dealer and the Field Rep. will probably want to test drive the car. Make sure the wheels are clean inside and out before you take it in to them. Be sure you are with them when they test drive the car so that you can point out the problem specifically. If they say they don't feel the wobble, keep driving until they do. Find a road that has a smooth surface that you can sustain 45 mph. Preferably one that leads further and further away from the dealership. Remind them that you have had the tires re-balanced and the car re-aligned. If they continue to claim that it is in the wheels or tires, insist that they try a different set of allroad wheels and tires from an allroad on the lot. (Test drive it first to be sure you don't feel the same wobble in that allroad.)

Be determined. It could get very frustrating. So be prepared. Do a search of this forum and the A6 forum. Make copies of all the wobble related posts. Bring those copies to the test drive/meeting with the Field Rep. and show them. Tell them that it is your understanding that this is a known issue which Audi has prepared a Technical Bulletin on.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:02 AM

Default Re: 45 MPH Wobble - my dealers explanation

Looks like the dealer was right on this one (in my case anyway, 6sp). I've been driving around the wonderfully messy streets of Montreal and Mont-Tremblant for the past week and my wobble did not return.

Thing is, I get the car washed regularly and the wobble still appeared. I make sure that the guys handling the pressure hoses spray the tires for a decent amount of time.

Dealer pretty much told me that the tires are beautifull but flawed in design and that the problem will keep occuring as the wheels get more dirt on them.

Either I've got to convince the city of Montreal to stop using so much crap on the road, or take out the pressure hose and keep those wheels sparkling!
Old 03-11-2002, 08:08 AM

Default Yup... 6sp... yup, lots of crud here in MTL

So far, the most allroads I've seen on any one day is three. All on the same street (Sherbrook in Westmount) within three blocks of each other.

Other than that, you don't see them all that often
Old 03-11-2004, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Have your dealer call Audi about this...several of us have had our TCM replaced to correct it...

Hi, don't know if you are still able to share the document you gave to the dealer...but, I am taking my Silver '01 in for the wobble and a cat replacement. Your help is greatly appreciated, I don't want to spend the next month in service.